Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP, is it worth the cash?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Lynibeth wrote:
    It's fantastic! You can only really judge for yourself. Check it out. Forget what others claim.

I don't think my experience with dead pixels on 2 new PSP's from xtravision is a claim, it's more rooted in fact to be honest. 10 dead pixels on both!. The PSP is class, don't get me wrong, but it's sickening how Sony approved the rush job that allowed the production of so many faulty screens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭call_me_fish

i got mine. no dead pixcell :D good game. worth every penny :D loving it

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Nailz wrote:
    Got mine up North, it only cost me £250 for a value-pack, an accessory-pack, two games(Toca 2 & Wipeout pure, both very good).
    And also a movie(Alien, hehehe!). I don't know what that is in €uro's exactly,
    but I thought it was a good price.

according to xe.com that's eur367 which is eur7 less than what Game charges for the psp + 3 games...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

i got mine. no dead pixcell :D good game. worth every penny :D loving it

You'll be cursed now and will have full membership to the dead pixel club soon enough ;)

If the price does go down in a few months then it will only go down 50 euros max i'd say and I dont think thats worth waiting for as your losing 4/5 months of playing the psp aswell ;)

There's a lot of crap games out but i'd say it'll only get better from now on. Im not bothered about GTA at all and if its any good well thats an added bonus. But Pro evo 5, burnout, tiger woods 2006 etc are coming out soon and from looking at the gameplay videos they look great. Then theres champo aka football manager 2006 on top of that. There the sort of games i like and from what I have read about the DS or heard about it, those sort of games will never be comparable on it. If there the sort of games you only play then i think its well worth the money. Tiger woods on the psp is feckin brilliant (well from the memory card anyways ;) ) . You can just have a quick round of 18 whenever you have some freetime. Theres a course on the pro legends tour set in the amazon and its the best course i've seen in any tiger woods game yet. Plus the game is very hard ( well i think so! ) so i'll get loads of play out of it until i get to 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

I don't know what the problem is with bitching about 2.0 and dead pixels. I've owned a US PSP for a couple of months now and not a dead pixel in sight *touches wood*, also the benefits 2.0 gives (web browser , wallpapers etc) are to my mind better than being able to play emu's.... which i can do on my PC anyway.

Also, games do not come with a web browser anyway, there's a hack fro wipeout pure that you can use to go online but it's not very functional....

• Advertisement

I don't know what the problem is with bitching about 2.0 and dead pixels. I've owned a US PSP for a couple of months now and not a dead pixel in sight *touches wood*, also the benefits 2.0 gives (web browser , wallpapers etc) are to my mind better than being able to play emu's.... which i can do on my PC anyway.

Also, games do not come with a web browser anyway, there's a hack fro wipeout pure that you can use to go online but it's not very functional....

I think it's okay to bitch about dead pixels if something costs €255. I however do not bitch about 2.0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

Mine ain't got no deda pixels and it gets thrown around like the little bitch it so truly is ;)

I think the underlying current of anti 2.0 ism can be summarised with a coughed word that would be synonymous with theft on the high sees, if ye catch my drift lad...

Anyway, point on the PSP over the DS... wip3out pure kids ;)

It's beautiful and if you look around you can pick up Wifi games so easily against people you never even need see. It's where gaming is heading imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I wont be getting a PSP for the time being.

While €300 or so isn't that unreasonable for the Value Pack, the price of €50 per game and the need of a larger memory stick puts me off.

The oh-so delicate nature of the PSP would make me scared to bring it outside the front door. Stuff like this scratches in my pocket all the time.

While the game lineup is actually very good, I am definetly more interested in what the DS has to offer (although it has had to overcome a huge drought of games over the last nine months or so; the future is definetly brighter now). The original ways of playing games is just fantastic.

In saying that, the evolving emulation scene on the PSP and the ability to play movies and music is what's swaying me towards buying one. But it wont be until Christmas when I make my decision (may get a Game Boy Micro instead...).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I have my PSP about 2 months now and overall I am quite unimpressed. The machine itself is very good (if a little expensive), but the choice of games is rubbish. So far it's just the same old genres on a portable format. It's been out for nearly a year in Japan now. I was hoping that with a portable, I would see a little more innovation in the games but so far nothing really interests me. They really need to start getting some new types of games on the format quickly to separate it from the standard consoles, because with the release of the new consoles in the next year, its sales could start drying up.
    I suspect this is the direction they will eventually take, with more games taking advantage of the machine's portable capabiltites rather than just putting new versions of ps2 games on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

football manager 2006 on top of that

and this will be released when?
    i am a big fan of the 2005 edition

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

is there even the slightes chance that sony willl release blank UMDs and if they were to does anyone know if the psp is capeable of writing to them

I think late November

http://www.sigames.com/softography.php?type=view&id=21

http://community.sigames.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/521102691/m/8832077821/p/1

"We're hoping to enable some sort of download feature using the PSP connectivity, but its not concrete yet .."

Hopefully that means player database updates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

4Xcut wrote:
    is there even the slightes chance that sony willl release blank UMDs and if they were to does anyone know if the psp is capeable of writing to them

No plans and I think I remember reading that there never will be. You never know though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

one question.... i have football manger 2005 on my 2800+, 1 gig of ram, 9700pro pc. it runs like a one legged donkey. Surely on the psp with its (32mb?) pittance of ram and mediocre cpu - its going to be a bit of a struggle?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Obviously they'll have it stripped down. My PC hadnt the best of times running NFSU but it runs perfectly on the PSP.

i don't see how they can strip it down without losing the essence of the game. i can see how the could graphically strip down a game, lower resolutions etc. but football manger is all about stats and calculations etc not graphics. Its the gaming equivalent of excel. Take away that level of immersion and the game is lost.

Well i'd say sigames would have scrapped it if they felt it was going to be crap. They seem to be happy with it going by the posts in the forum. And you'll probably be only able to do one league max at a time. We'll see in a few months anyways. Maybe its a port of championship manager 2 ;)

"The PSP has around 8 times more memory than a PS-2 which is why its possible to implement upon a PSP.

The PSP game isn't a 'full' FM and is aimed at being a realistic and playable sim in the Vein of the third series of games which we created ...

This makes it emminently suitable to the PSP as you can blast through a season fairly quickly and pick up and play in smaller amounts of time than you use on FM on the PC."

well, they're wrong about the 8 time more memory....

anyway, i'll wait and see, I have my reservations, but if they pull it off, this and ProEvo5 could be a reson to buy one of these....

CPU: 128-bit CPU
    System Clock Frequency: 294.912 MHz
    Cache Memory: Instruction: 16KB, Data: 8KB + 16 K(ScrP)
    Main Memory: Direct Rambus (Direct RDRAM)
    Memory Size: 32MB
    Memory Bus Bandwidth: 3.2GB per second

PSP CPU Core

PSP CPU (System clock frequency 1~333MHz)
    32MB Main Memory
    4MD Embedded DRAM

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    one question.... i have football manger 2005 on my 2800+, 1 gig of ram, 9700pro pc. it runs like a one legged donkey. Surely on the psp with its (32mb?) pittance of ram and mediocre cpu - its going to be a bit of a struggle?

I'd say it'll be a stripped down version. Think a slightly more stat heavy LMA manager, I mean c'mon, PSP with 32mb RAM!

Advertisement