Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QueerBeers III: The Search for a Pub.

Options
  • 02-09-2005 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, I know it's a shorter lead time than the normal "every 2 months" but anyone fancy a "mini queer beers" in Dakota again on the 1st October? We can do the reservation thing again and hopefully handle the bouncer issue a bit better. (Read that as in "Drop the fashionably late thing, princesses" :D).

Hopefully there'll be no clashes with angrypotato, gaire etc. this time round as well :)

Whats your preference. 26 votes

1st is fine;
    0% 0 votes
    would like to come, but not on that date;
    50% 13 votes
    Straight bar preference;
    19% 5 votes
    Gay bar preference
    30% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

So whose's up for pints on Saturday october 1st? For numberous reasons myself and stark would prefere October 1st as the date, and due to me going away in seven days, I'd like to get venue and date sorted and booked by friday. That why we haven't done a poll.

So opinions wanted as to venue of choice. Quite liked dakota last time, and since we now how the door policy we can work around it. Or owuld people prefere someplace like the front lounge?

Multiple choice poll btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭fortysixand2

Personally, I'm easy. So to speak. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Am in Dublin on Oct 14th for a Sufjan Stevens concert so that weekend would have been good for me. My travels to Dublin are going to be restricted with college and stuff. Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

October 1st should be ok for me -- Dakota was grand, though I ticked both gay and straight venue in the poll 'cos it doesn't bother me too much, as long as the chosen venue ain't a dump. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Can do; may try and meet up with people going beforehand this time; might be safer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Can't make the 1st :(

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hunter S

damien.m wrote:
    . My travels to Dublin are going to be restricted with college and stuff. Ah well.

Oh cute must get you a pencil case!! :D

I was in Dakota on Saturday - it wasn't as crazy busy as the last Queer Beers, though all of the tables @ the backend where we were last time were all 'Reserved' already.

Seems the poll is swinging towards a gay venue though, so what're the options then?

* The George
    * Front Lounge
    * GUBU
    * Dragon
    * Yello

Isn't there some other gay place on Sth Williams Street that's not Spy?

What about that new bar that the guy from Free is launching? It should be opened by then. Though with a name like "Krotch" I doubt I'd go visit it.

What about that new bar that the guy from Free is launching? It should be opened by then. Though with a name like "Krotch" I doubt I'd go visit it.

LOL - sounds classy :p

• Advertisement

TCamen wrote:
    I was in Dakota on Saturday - it wasn't as crazy busy as the last Queer Beers, though all of the tables @ the backend where we were last time were all 'Reserved' already.

reserved for that night, or the 1st of october? Also I think it's better to go to a pub rather then a club, regardless of it being gay/straight. Can bearly hear each other in a club like. So Yello (though I might be thinking of gubu) and front lounge would be good choices.

As always everything would depend on free booking an availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I flat out refuse to go to Yello, its a dive full of freakin weirdo's and perv's.

So I'm thinking of gubu then.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Gubu is even worse which that whole beds instead of seats, feels kinda creepy. I thought Dragon was ok last time ^_^

Dragons abit of a club though. Makes it very difficult to meet new people and chat. what with the bang bang music and all. Gubu didn't seem that creepy last time I was there, didn't notice the beds either, but that was awhile ago.

I guess if we had a whole bed to our selfs O_o

*ROAR*

Yeah, and we can just hug and just talk all night long.

reserved for that night, or the 1st of october?

Just for that night (that I could see). I was just making the point that clearly if we were going to go with Dakota, forward planning and booking would have to happen unless someone was gonna be in there very early to grab seats.

Given the choice between Gubu and Dragon, I'd rather Dragon, but only cos I'm not sure if Gubu is a late bar? Also, the beds are a little cosy for potentially 10+ people. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Gubu is a late bar

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Gubu is a late bar

Cool, well then I guess the only stumbling block for people are the beds :p

• Advertisement

The other thing is can you reserve a bed?
    mmm...i still think dragon is a better idea specially instead of reserving if one of us got one the booths, although probably wont all fit :S

So, what's wrong with Dakota then, apart from some people not being let in, which can be overcome?

If yeas want dragon, i'll book it. Just theres was about 30 people at the last one, so booths or the like won't really work. Whats upstrairs in dragon like?

LiouVille wrote:
    Whats upstrairs in dragon like?

It's a DARK ROOM!!!!

damien.m wrote:
    So, what's wrong with Dakota then, apart from some people not being let in, which can be overcome?

Theres nothing wrong with it. And theres plenty of people with my mobile number or starks if there is any trouble next time. The Issue is however that there seems to be a lean towards a gay bar in the poll

Screw them. Make it Dakota. Pick somewhere you like, you're making all the damned effort.

I'll go with whatever myself and stark agree will make the best night out tbh. The last Queer beers was much better and much more relaxed then the first, because we went to a pub, and got talking and into conversations with each other. In Dragon the minute the music started kicking in it became very hard to talk to people, and most people just started talking to those they already knew. Thats the only reason I'm pushing front lounge or dakota over dragon or the george. It's very very easy to go for afew pints in dakota and then head to dragon for abit of dancing if people desire.

Normally id be more inclined to go for a stright pub but this is a GLB beers and its also for those who have never been or too scared to go to a gay pub on their own so i dont think Dakota in this case is a good idea.

Yea upstairs in dragon is a way better idea if you can reserve it cause its a busy part of the pub.

The situation as it stands.

Dragon; have to book the same place as before, and thats not acceptable.
    Front lounge; Closes at 12;30, and probably can't be booked.
    gubu; To small for estimated numbers.
    Yello; Is apparently a hole which no one wants to go to.

I'm going to go a head with dakota, I've booked three tables for about 20-25 people, in my name joe O'Carroll. Kick off will be about 7:30pm, once you're there by say nine, there souldn't be a problem with the bouncers.

Also note, This will most likely be the last Queerbeers this year, given that theres a big boards beers in november, and december is a dreadfull month for organising a night out. So If you're going to make one, make it this one.

As always my mobile number is available on request.

• Advertisement

Cool - thanks Liouville for booking :)

Advertisement