Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics tuning

Options
  • 02-09-2005 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭

I have a question, I have a Geforce 5500 256MB, 1.5 GB of DDR ram and a sempron 3000. And when I play Need For Speed U2, I can't get the resolution over 800 x 600. It just lags. I was wondering if anyone might have some pointers for me? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

You could also have your nVidia drivers completely up to date. When you have that done you could then download the specfic nvidia tuner from their site (sorry , cant get linky , just google or whatever) . That may be better than a general tuner as its nvidia specific.

If you dont get enough out of that , what setting are you running it on?
    Firstly anti-aliasing and anti-trop are the first to go when problems arive so turn them off. (there maybe texture filtering aswell)
    Then probably best to go at shadows next because they have the least effect on prettyness when they are lowered.
    If your still having problems after that then its to you what to lower (prob be environment first I'd say) but if you find your self at the point where you have everything off and you can't run the game at desktop resolution then maybe this is a game you may have to pass.

You see the catch is, when I have my driver up to date, the game doesn't run at all. I fails at the splash screen. As for the tuner, I downloaded the one greg reccomende, but Im a bit nervous about using it as Ive never done this before, can ya make a dogs bo**ox of your graphics card messing too much with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭dunco

hi
    if you are still looking for the link of the nvidia overclock look in this

• Advertisement
  • Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Some games, in my previous experience at least, can botch up because of the overall state of your PC aswell as simply due to Graphics Drivers or the quality of your Graphics Card.

I found out the hard way before that, after Installing my ATI Radeon 9600 Pro Atlatis, games like Gothic and Max Payne got as far as the splash screen then just flopped. I had no idea what was wrong, and assumed it was the graphics card even though I had changed from a VooDoo 3 MX/MX400.

It later turned out to be a very odd virus that had eaten all my files over time - My entire computer was infected with it, and a simple lack of a Virus Scan Update (I was offline for years at the time) meant that it had happened un-noticed.

Now, I doubt this is your problem but keep it in mind.

Multiple Driver Updates shouldn't cause any hassle, unless not performed right.
    I downgraded my GFX Card drivers last night after recommendation from a good friend whom uses the same card - I've yet to test it out, but the theory is it works better than the latest edition (Which can happen sometimes, and yes, it also may render the ability to play certain games possible/impossible, but usually in some rare cases)

Keep trying - You'll get there with a bit of tweaking / driver testing, but give your PC some TLC also and try free up some RAM and make sure it's clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 PoiBoi_Patch

1. update your drivers by device manger
    2. select your screen 2 if LCD monitor (if not screen 1)
    3. open your Gforce options from control panel
    4. select your screen resolution and append it the highest resolution available
    5. make sure your set to true colour output it to your correct item
    6. turn your tripple buffering on in grafix options
    7. anisotropic filtering to off
    8. reboot your computer in safe mode
    9. reboot again in normal mode

this should fix your problem

Cheers for all the pointers guys. Ill sit down with it tonight and try and get her going.

Advertisement