Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A loophole for getting insured on bigger cars?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

Here's what the insurance cert says
    insurancecert1dx.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Stekelly wrote:
    The other options are for Open drive. If you are over 25 or have a certain NCB built up you can add open drive to your policy. Its pretty much the opposite to whats being talked about here. It means anyone over 25 with a full licence can drive your car with your permission.

Ok so if my dad got this and I was 25 with a 5 yr NCB, then if he pays the extra €60 or so I am insured to drive his car with his permission without needing my own policy? Ok that's a different thing altogether :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Mine says the exact same.
    fletch wrote:
    Here's what the insurance cert says
    insurancecert1dx.th.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

No if your do the Ignition Course it only covers you under 1.6 thats the agreement with it.

A mate of mine is 23 and driving a 2.0L Turbo Evo V, he pays €2000 fully comp. How he did it was by driving a normal 1.0L engine for a few years, got his full license, then did his ignition test. Once he was getting reduced quotes he just swapped it onto his evo at reduced cost. I have always been told it's for a 1.6 or below also, but there you have it the exception to the rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

layke wrote:
    A mate of mine is 23 and driving a 2.0L Turbo Evo V, he pays €2000 fully comp. How he did it was by driving a normal 1.0L engine for a few years, got his full license, then did his ignition test. Once he was getting reduced quotes he just swapped it onto his evo at reduced cost. I have always been told it's for a 1.6 or below also, but there you have it the exception to the rule.

I thought that they either take your no claims bonus, or the ignition test. Not both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

bazz26 wrote:
    Most if not all Third Party policies will not cover you to drive other peoples cars.

my fully comp policy does not allow me to drive any other car, I'm sure its just an add on option. I would be interested to see if can get fully comp on another car.

Is it just me, but I'd be very very nervous driving someone else's car if I was only covered third party, putting their pride and joy at risk, especially if your not used to 2ltr turbo's or the like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Ann Elk

Most insurance companys, including the one i work for, offer it as a standard benefit to people over a certain age with a full licence. We offer it free on all policies even third party only policies. However it is always third party only cover - regardless of the level of cover on your own policy.

The only exception to this, that I know of, is AXA who offer fully comp. cover on anyones car if you have been with them for three consecutive years. The things to watch for are:

1)The car must not be owned, leased or hired to you

2)It is illegal to have a car on a public road that is not taxed or insured (oddly enough the legislation relates to 'stationary vehicles' to allow for transportation, so technically if you drive it form private draiveway 'a' to private driveway 'b' without stopping you're sound)

3) Higher powered cars often have a 'named driver only clause' i.e. only those named on the policy are covered so you could borrow your neighbous porsche but if you prang it, your third party only cover won't cover it - nor will his insurance 'cause you're not named on it.

The reason the clause exists is to allow for emergencies - i.e. driving people to hospital etc, and for the everyday things like moving your ma/da/gf/bf's etc. car off your driveway without having to ring to add a temporary additional vehicle which requires added paperwork & expense.

It really is basic cover and if something happens you could be in a whole world of do-do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I thought that they either take your no claims bonus, or the ignition test. Not both.

So did I, but... there you have it?? I need clarification on this also but he's not the lying type.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

It's all good and well being insured to drive someone elses bigger, more powerful car but try getting the owner to give permission once they know the car will only be covered for 3rd Party. Not a hope I'd left anyone near my car 3rd Party only 'cause if they crash, I'm left with a wreck and no insurance to cover it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

All of the Daddy's out there who are letting you drive their Mercs and Volvo's because you say you are 'insured' are nucking futs. They are either being mislead into believing you are comprehensively insured on their cars, or they are so rich that they don't give a t*ss if you write off their 50-100 grand car.

"Daddy daddy, can I drive your S500?"
    "Emm, no way"
    "But I'm insured to drive other people's cars on my own policy!"
    "No ****? Hmm, fair enough so.. here's the keys, have fun!".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

So has anyone established the definite answers to these questions? Age restrictions? 1.6 L restriction? NCB etc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Just in case anyone is still wondering, I went into Hibernian today, face to face for a definite answer so that I could get it on paper. Despite being told on the phone on two different occasions that I could hop into any car given permission, and be insured third party assuming my own car is not on the road - when I went in today, the man told me that with a policy made possible by Ignition, you are always restricted to 1.6litre cars, and you cannot drive anything bigger than that.

Makes sense to me, its what I expected to be told in the first place, just am annoyed that I had to go to such lengths to confirm it.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Illkillya wrote:
    Just in case anyone is still wondering, I went into Hibernian today, face to face for a definite answer so that I could get it on paper. Despite being told on the phone on two different occasions that I could hop into any car given permission, and be insured third party assuming my own car is not on the road - when I went in today, the man told me that with a policy made possible by Ignition, you are always restricted to 1.6litre cars, and you cannot drive anything bigger than that.

Makes sense to me, its what I expected to be told in the first place, just am annoyed that I had to go to such lengths to confirm it.
    regular policies probably allow for driving bigger cars though!

Advertisement