Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Security Ram Bars

Options
  • 03-09-2005 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Story People. just wondering if any one out there can tell me where in Dublin Can I get Driveway Ram Bar's.
    just bout 10 min's ago a Gang of SCUM Bags Took a Car From A Drive & set it alight right out side someones house Im very connserned bout this & worry a bit about my own motor.
    Imoblisers & Stering locks are all well & good but that dont stop these little ****'s from Moveing a car to burn it out & as for The Garda they don't Give 2 f*cks.
    I think people should take law into there own Hands & find all these little Scumbags & Make sure they never walk agane but back to the Topic at hand These Ram Bars what do i get em ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Ram bar won't stop them setting it alight.

A decent quality steel steering lock, or chain is going to put off all but the very determined. The very determine will just break into you house and ask you for the keys. Or car jack you as you are getting in or out of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭SixShot

Im Awear They can just set it a lite in the Garden but there has been a lot of Wheel & burn's around my area they are wheeling cars out of gardens & setting em a lite. For Security reasions I would like to know where to get these Ram Bar's & a Decent Car Alarm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sorry to hear about your trouble SixShot. If you don't mind me asking, where is the area you live in?
    A decent quality steel steering lock, or chain is going to put off all but the very determined.
    Steering locks(with the exception of the ones that cover the entire wheel) are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. They can even help the scum break the built in steering lock when used as a lever. A dirty great chain is better, but mostly they just hack through the steering wheel. A snap off steering wheel is a good compromise.

Layered security is the best. Good car alarm with immobiliser, properly fitted and a back up battery. If your budget can stretch an extra siren inside the cab of the car to deafen the B'stards. If it's a very expensive car, a tracker is very handy. A bonnet lock is another good plan. A second independent immobiliser wouldn't hurt. The aforementioned snap off steering wheel and as you park up for the night, turn your wheel all the way to the right or left. Makes it much harder to push out of your driveway and also makes it more difficult to break your built in steering lock. Get your windows and lights etched with your VIN number. A ram bar would be the final deterrent. With all that stuff they'll just pick the easy car next door.

Agreed re the garda. generally utterly useless in situations like this. Then again the legal system that lets these scum go with little more than a warning ties their hands.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭SixShot

That seams like the only Way I did here of a German Alarm system which is well not Legal in this countrey i seen it on TV basicly if someone Is to try open your car flames take over the hole body of the motor its got some fireproff paint & windows so the flames dont harm your motor you know That Alarm should be Legal that will stop any little ****es for tuching your motor & Im in the south side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Wibbs wrote:
    Steering locks(with the exception of the ones that cover the entire wheel) are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. They can even help the scum break the built in steering lock when used as a lever. A dirty great chain is better, but mostly they just hack through the steering wheel. A snap off steering wheel is a good compromise.....

Which is why I said, A decent quality steel steering lock. As with all products you should read up on some independent tests as to which ones are snake oil and which ones actually work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

In high crime areas with car thief a routine matter why don't owners simply remove the HT lead from the coil? In fact you don't even need to do that - just unplug the ignition control unit.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

SixShot wrote:
    Im in the south side

Can you be more specific please??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product_test/46251/steering_locks.html To judge by this survey, even the best ones are sadly little more than a distraction to a practised scumbag. The best was defeated after 119 seconds. :eek: The best aren't exactly cheap either. A good hefty chain and lock is probably just as effective and a lot more value.

I have seen one device many moons ago that locked all three of a cars pedals together which seemed very effective. A good metalworker could probably make one up for very little cost. As access to the footwell is cramped it would make the scumbag's task a lot more difficult. Always a good thing.

Still though, the more layers the better. The time adds up and makes the scumbag more paranoid that they're going to be discovered.

It's also quite simple to rig up a hidden switch that when activated cuts power to your fuel pump. Simple but effective.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wibbs wrote:
    It's also quite simple to rig up a hidden switch that when activated cuts power to your fuel pump. Simple but effective.

When I was a young driver I had a Fiat 127. My dad, for some reason now forgotton re-routed the wiring to a switch on the dash. If you wanted to start the car you had to flick the switch first. Something similair to a hidden location inder the dash would work, thieves don't like wasting time so anything that foxes thier criminal brains even for a few moments is effective.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

See this clip for the most effective solution

Not too expensive either. It is designed to blind, not to kill. Perfectly legal in South Africa, the first customer was a police officer. Probably not legal here unfortunately...

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    See this clip for the most effective solution
    I have got to get one of those. :)

On the hidden switch theme, you could even rig up a switch that if not triggered correctly would pass the current through a time delay fuse that would blow after a minute or so, thereby letting the scumbag think the car has broken down.

Another idea would be to fabricate a cage hidden under the steering mount covering the area around the lock preventing removal of the lock and preventing access to the ignition wires, as these are way too easy to attack.

Advertisement