Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bars

Options
  • 03-09-2005 10:10am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My friend is gay and he is looking for a few good bars in dublin... any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

GUBU, The Front Lounge, The Dragon and The George

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I've only been to the Geaorge. It's really cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭jamiecake

front lounge on parliment street is my fave bar, its a good mix at weekends these days, as in both str8 and gay, so if your going with mates that are new to the whole thing!!

Dragon is my new fave, i had my bday bash there last friday!! was fun, its a busy new gay bar, lots of fun, and lots of different people and places to sit, walk whatever!

GUBU on Capel street can stay pretty quiet at times, and it pretty small.. but it is a really nice looking bar! if that counts for anything..

George on Georges street is fun at times... can grow very tirying very quickly.. same faces etc..but if you are new and not out long, its a great place!

Yello on Capel street, use to go there last summer when it opened, 04.. avoid it like the plague now... SCUM HOLE

POD fridays, my fave club nite!! If you are into your into late nights ie keep going onto early mornings.. POD rocks, always good house music, good circle of people go there, always find a party to go to afterwards too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

What are the best non-camp ie non Shirley whatshername gay bars?! Just because someone is gay doesn't mean they are camp and lots of places seem to have been infiltrated by men in heels - exaggeration, but you know what I mean?

GUBU, Front Lounge.. POD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Cool, where are GUBU and POD, I think GUBU is on Capel St isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah GUBU is on Capel Street. The POD is at the top of Harcourt Street I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

xzanti wrote:
    My friend is gay and he is looking for a few good bars in dublin... any ideas??
    Isotopes (opposite the Porterhouse). Alright place. Me doesn't like it that much, as I'm straight, but there's gay people in it, who assume cos your also there, that your gay too:eek::rolleyes::(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Pod is closing i think in the next week or two, or least the gay night ham on a friday is and i still havnt gone round to using up my free pass!!!

If you cheak out GCN or one the other free gay mags which are in gubu or G theyll tell you any new clubs opening. Alot of them fill up on the first night and no one goes again so they usually only last about 3 or 4 weeks.

Slam on a monday night or spirit on mid-floor on a sunday is good or glitz on a tuesday although its way too popy for me but ppl seem to like it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

the_syco wrote:
    Isotopes (opposite the Porterhouse). Alright place. Me doesn't like it that much, as I'm straight, but there's gay people in it, who assume cos your also there, that your gay too:eek::rolleyes::(:mad:

Never heard of it, and it doesn't seem to be in any listenings as a gay venue. Sure it wasn't the name of a night in a pub?

• Advertisement

i think he is on about isoldes tower.. its allot of fun to get plasterd in to be honest.. and is very mixed!! depends on night and where the crowd are, upstairs mostly ;)

I was thinking that. ffs the_syco its no gay bar. Fair enough it has a rep for being very gay friendly, but it's definitely not the place where they would persume your gay cause you're drinking in there. I suggested if for the first QueerBeers. Its good fun, life music on certain nights.

yeah... its a good call actually! there is always room upstairs too! and door men are grand once ur not locked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jamiecake wrote:
    i think he is on about isoldes tower.. its allot of fun to get plasterd in to be honest.. and is very mixed!! depends on night and where the crowd are, upstairs mostly ;)
    Aye thats the one.

It's one thing to get hit on by a member of the same sex, so what like. It's another thing if someone won't take a hint that you're not interested for what ever reason. Personally I wouldn't even have gone down the "I'm straight" route. I would have just said, "It's not that I'm straight, it's that you're replusive". As for getting barred, unless you decked the guy, I don't see why you would be.

Advertisement