Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing Papers

Options
  • 03-09-2005 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Just had a look at some of my papers today.
    THe only one i wasn't happy with was geography, not bothered checking it since i've gotten my course but i'm sure i could jump a grade or two if i did. The marking was incredibly hard. Even on my diagram for regional i only got 6/10. Completly slated me for the most basic mistakes. The marking scheme is a joke. Its so subjective its unreal. There are no facts within the marking scheme, disaster. Was really gunning for an A and only got B3. I wrote word for word the same thing in the mocks for some answers and they marked me much down. Really advise you to send out exams to be corrected if possible.

My english exam was marked by a super intendent - green pen, fair.

Business - fair. need to know facts, no bulll****ting is accepted. Already knew that though.

German - marked me 10 points down on the questions but it wouldnt have changed my overall grade. I worked out that i got close to 100% in Oral but the oral examiner already mentioned that i'd done about perfect! Very hard to look at the written pieces because the marking scheme is so confusing,

Overall i'd recommend to currrent 6th years to get your hands on as many marking schemes as possible especially for subjects like business that tell you exactly whats required. Because no matter how hard u work, its no good if your not working on the right thing.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I looked at all my papers just cos I wanted to see how they were marked. I got 97% in English!! Full marks on my essay!! I thought I might get an A alright but I didn't think I'd do that well

I was less than 2% off an A1 on my Biology exam but it had already been remarked in green by a superintendent, my Bio teacher said there was probably no point in submitting it for rechecking cos it would probably not go up

I was happy enough with the way my Irish, Maths, Spanish and Classics papers were marked, no complaints there

As for Chemistry, the mark I was most disappointed with - turns out I actually deserved the grade I got, most of it was due to me not being specific enough. For example in the titration experiment I said the colour change was to clear, I didn't get any marks for that because I should have written colourless which isn't the same thing - my teacher said it was really annoying looking at my paper because he knew that I knew all the information but I just hadn't put it down right. Grrr. So for this year's sixth years, if you're doing Chemistry do make sure that you learn your definitions because it's a bitch the way they mark the paper!

I'm not getting anything rechecked anyway, I had way more points than I needed so I'm grand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Full marks on your essay! Well done, thats no easy feat. What did you write about? How long was it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Wasn't at all impressed with the marking on my english or economics. Could definately jump a few grades in english if I got it rechecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭rosa

Fishie, if you don't mind me asking, what did you get in Spanish? Its just i know barely anyone that did honours Spanish, and I haven't heard of any A1s yet. According to my teacher it's one of the hardest marked exams. I got an A2, which I was over the moon with!
    Does the green pen definitely mean that it was marked by a superintendent? I looked at my English, and there were two sets of markings, one in red and one in green. The green pen person gave me way more for every question, I would have gotten an A2 by the red pen's calculations. Does that mean that I originally would have gotten an A2, but I was lucky enough to have my paper remarked? That's kind of unfair if that's the case, maybe other people deserved higher as well?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Green means it was marked twice. My maths paper 2 was marked twice and the green pen gave me a lot more marks than the red pen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Fishie wrote:

As for Chemistry, the mark I was most disappointed with - turns out I actually deserved the grade I got, most of it was due to me not being specific enough.

Exactly the same with me, i couldn't believe i was geting 0 for answers that were missing one word or had a different word to the marking scheme...i got very angry going through my paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Nice one Fishie, impressive!

Anyone getting there's rechecked?

I got 89.75% in Tech Drawing and my teacher found marks that I should've got so I'm going for the recheck... :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Funkstard wrote:
    Full marks on your essay! Well done, thats no easy feat. What did you write about? How long was it?
    I had a four-page rant about celebrities and reality TV basically. My English teacher said I'm very entertaining when I start ranting about stuff, so I decided it would be a good strategy in the exam since itwould make it more interesting for the examiner - and it seems to have worked anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭supersheep

rosa wrote:
    Does the green pen definitely mean that it was marked by a superintendent? I looked at my English, and there were two sets of markings, one in red and one in green. The green pen person gave me way more for every question, I would have gotten an A2 by the red pen's calculations. Does that mean that I originally would have gotten an A2, but I was lucky enough to have my paper remarked? That's kind of unfair if that's the case, maybe other people deserved higher as well?
    A certain number of papers are checked by a superintendent, to make sure correcting is being done properly - I had a green pen in my maths, an exam you wouldn't think there would be any room for subjective marking in, but I went up about twenty marks. And the superintendent added the marks up wrong in one question (irony!), giving me an extra four marks hopefully and the extra grade.
    Apart from that, I'm getting three other rechecks - two marks off an A1 in Chemistry (did the same as you Fishie, for feck's sake, clear is the same as colourless!), four off the A1 in English, and four off an A2 in physics - really could do with the extra points, cos I'm ten short of my first choice.
    It was great to go in and look at my History paper though - two perfect essays, two almost perfect, and only my last question let me down, which is understandable cos I wrote it in about twenty-five minutes (spent way too long on my Civil War question...)

Advertisement