Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer jerseys - short or long sleeve?

• 03-09-2005 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭

I'm debating whether or not to get the new green Celtic away jersey. Was just wondering which people thought was better - short or long sleeve?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Id go for the long sleeve, mostly because i havnt had one before and summer is over so you have to wrap up!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Are you considering wearing it as a fashion item? If so, are you a skanger?

If it's for sport or for wearing to Celtic matches, then I'd say you should get the long sleeve if you get cold easily, or short if you get warm easily...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Yep, I'm a born n bred Cavan skanger! Ah no, even if I wanted to, with my accent hanging round outside shops intimidating people and asking passer-bys to buy me 'smokes' just wouldn't work!

Its for sport and wearing to the pub for Ireland games etc. And anyway, I live down the country (live in Cavan, go to college in Sligo) where a Celtic jersey isn't a skanger item.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

Every time I see a Celtic jersey, I feel like becoming a doctor so I can sterlise that type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

SexyD4Lady wrote:
    Every time I see a Celtic jersey, I feel like becoming a doctor so I can sterlise that type.

LOL! :D
    Don't buy either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Lemlin wrote:

Its for sport and wearing to the pub for Ireland games etc.

maybe get an irish jersey then instead of a british club one,atleast some of the money would get to the FAI to promote the irish game...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

Who'd want to give money to the FAI? They're a useless shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Go for a short sleeve jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Go for a short sleeve jersey.

Definitely. The long-sleeved ones just don't look right for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

If you want a jumper then buy a jumper but jerseys were not meant to be long sleeved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

short sleeve for a footie jersey.
    If you want to wear it out during colder times, just wear a long-sleeved T under it.
    Will almost ad a touch of style to a skanger garment....

Thanks but I don't think I'll be buying it now. The amount of skanger comments on the thread has put me right off!

Lemlin wrote:
    Thanks but I don't think I'll be buying it now. The amount of skanger comments on the thread has put me right off!

Yeah put the cash you were going to use to get the celtic crap towards the jeans (referring to the other thread)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Short sleeve looks better me thinks

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Finally know what I want to study after the Leaving!!!!!!! Just sharing my joy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

short it has to be...long sleeve jerseies are only to keep u warm while playin thats all the look sh1teeeeeeee

SexyD4Lady wrote:
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Finally know what I want to study after the Leaving!!!!!!! Just sharing my joy!!

Medicine so you can sterilize knackers?

hey rb_ie just to let you know that some of us who wear celtic jerseys are not knackers and infact like football. Dont be so narrowminded

Medicine so you can sterilize knackers???

Good idea but no. COMMERCE AND GERMAN!!!

No, but good idea. It's... COMMERCE AND GERMAN!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Celtic are not an Irish club, therefore wearing their jersey to watch an irish match means nothing. (I know that they have Irish connections, but there is a distinction).

As to the question of sleeves, go short. The long sleeved Celtic jersey just doesn't look right for some reason. Add a long-sleeved t-shirt underneath if you want.

TO all the other posters who bring the question of skangers into this.. COP YOURSELVES ON. there are skanger connotations to the jersey, but why shouldn't he buy one if he wants.

Bloody hell, every thread on this board seems to descend into bitchy comments on skangers, goths, D4'ers etc.

SexyD4Lady wrote:
    No, but good idea. It's... COMMERCE AND GERMAN!!

It's also.....NOTHING TO DO WITH THE THREAD TOPIC!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Triton wrote:
    Who'd want to give money to the FAI? They're a useless shower.

why would you give money to a british based club to show your support for your national team as he stated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

wearing to the pub for Ireland games

That makes absolutely no sense. I know its green and white, but then again so is Yeovil Town FC. Why don't you wear that down the pub to watch Ireland matches instead? Because Yeovil Town aren't viewed by Knackers as the footballing wing of the IRA, unlike Celtic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Go short sleeves!!!! Long sleeve shirts are for losers afraid of the cold

The new Celtic away shirt is minging anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

interviewer: "....i see you're wearing a celtic jersey... are you a big soccer fan?"

subject: "NO I WEAR IT COS I'M KETLICK"

interviewer: " aaah i see... and err... are you very religious?"

subject: "NO... I DON'T BELIEVE IN GAD"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Jersies are for playing football in. Not for wearing as fashion items. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

kaids wrote:
    Are you considering wearing it as a fashion item? If so, are you a skanger?
    Ha ha ha ha!

I'm trying to think if there's a bigger turn off than a guy wearing a Celtic jersey.....

Nope, I can't think of one.

• Advertisement

Bateman wrote:

Exactly, that has to be the best point made in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭dmck2886

Bateman wrote:

Jersies are worn to show ones support of the team. Who said Lemlin was wearing it to be fashionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

personally i think long-sleeve footbal jerseys look odd..

Jez lads, there's no need to get so worked up over a jersey. As pointed out, no, Celtic are not an Irish team like, say, Shelbourne or Cork but there are Irish connections.

And while supporters of the Eircom League may argue that there is no reason to wear a Celtic jersey to an Irish match, have you ever noticed the amount of Celtic jerseys you see at games? I'm not an Eircom League supporter so I see no trouble with seeing Celtic as an Irish team.

Also, for those of you who sees jersey wearers as skangers, this may be the case in Dublin but its not the same down the country. No offence but we don't have to put up with quite so many youths hanging round our Centras :) thankfully

Anyway, all this discussion is for other forums completely. I'm not getting the jersey now so let's leave it at that.

rb_ie wrote:
    Exactly, that has to be the best point made in this thread.

ever wear a rugby jersey while not playing it by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

depend which way the jersy sits on me if i buy long sleeve or not , i dont wear them to be fashionable just the're comfy things to wear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Johnson

Lemlin wrote:
    have you ever noticed the amount of Celtic jerseys you see at games?

The people wearing them are invariably morons.

please explain how

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Johnson

please explain how

They are wearing the jersey of a scottish club to an Irish match. Why not wear a Panathanikos jersey, or a Hibs jersey, or a Notre Dame jersey? Their connections to Ireland are pretty much the same as Celtic's.

The reason they choose the Celtic jersey is becuase it is the jersey of a club which has a very republican and sectarian fan base (at least in Ireland) and they believe that by wearing it, they are showing how Irish they are, even though they are supporting a so called "garrison game". These people are also the most likely to boo any former of current Rangers player, regardless of their religion or background, simply because they played for a team Celtic has a rivalry with.

In short, they are morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

in all fairness, quite apart from the unutterably bizarre implications of wearing a celtic jersey [and i could, quite frankly, care less] soccer jerseys are the vilest most unattractive pieces of clothing ever devised by the hand of man. anybody wearing them who isn't actually going to or from a sports ground should be put in the stocks and laughed at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭28064212

magpie wrote:
    That makes absolutely no sense. I know its green and white, but then again so is Yeovil Town FC. Why don't you wear that down the pub to watch Ireland matches instead? Because Yeovil Town aren't viewed by Knackers as the footballing wing of the IRA, unlike Celtic.
    Must get a Yeovil Town jersey...

Whatever about the arguments for and against Celtic jerseys, it's definitely better to get an Irish jersey instead.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Good to see the Celtic jersey is made by Nike now.

The two ultimate skanger brands finally come together! :D

Advertisement