Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Switzerland v Israel & France Vs Faroe (scores)

• 03-09-2005 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Thought I may as well set this up as we've a lot of interest in the results and form.
    Both matches on Setanta.
    First match has potential to be a cracker. I guess Kerr would love a 0-0 draw?
    Will be interesting to see how the Swiss get on.
    I fancy them myself to nick it by a goal.

As for the French, it's the first competitive game with the 3 old boys back in the team. One would expect a rout, but could too much pressure work against them?
    Will be interesting to see how long the Faroe hold out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

France team:

Coupet

--Sagnol
    Thuram
    Boumsong
    Gallas---

Makelele

Vieira
    Malouda

Zidane

Cisse
    Henry

I'm not looking forward to the Swiss match. Hate wishing for a draw as you're just hoping for a boring match with no goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Swiss 1 up after just 5 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

thats a very strong French team! i'm surprised by it tbh, hopefully faores will bash em up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Israel have equalised, 1-1 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Is a draw the best result here?

Does it not put Israel in a very strong position to qualify?

If Switzerland were to win it would essentially eliminate Israel, and we could then knock the Swiss out if we beat them at home.

I know an Israel win will put huge pressure on eveyone.

Im not sure what I should be cheering for. I suppose a draw just to keep everything as is.

• Advertisement

If Vieira, Sagnol or Makelele get booked they miss the Ireland game.

Is a draw the best result here?

Does it not put Israel in a very strong position to qualify?

If Switzerland were to win it would essentially eliminate Israel, and we could then knock the Swiss out if we beat them at home.

I know an Israel win will put huge pressure on eveyone.

Im not sure what I should be cheering for. I suppose a draw just to keep everything as is.
    http://members.boards.ie/tetsujin1979/Group4Permutations.html

Well that sheds some light on it. God this is going to be so close.

Do all second place teams play-off against each other? Eight groups into four matches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Well that sheds some light on it. God this is going to be so close.

Do all second place teams play-off against each other? Eight groups into four matches?

Theres a draw which big teams get little teams.

Playoffs will be a bad place to go to, our best shot of qualifiying tbh.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Theres a draw which big teams get little teams.
    They seed the playoffs? Based on what? If they do that is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Missed the 1st half but switched on for the 2nd half. According to Cascarino this is the best he's seen Israel play. They really took the game to Switzerland in the last 20 minutes. After been really impressed with Israel in a couple of games so far they must really be playing well today. Seriously, if nobody has seen Israel's games at home to Switzerland and France or this game here they have no right to critise them. Extremely underrated team.

A few people just ran on the pitch with Palestinian banners. The stewards took about 2 minutes to come on. Israeli fans going bloody mental.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Extremely underrated team.

Only the expectant Irish fans underrate them.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Anybody have the latest?

http://livescore.net/default.dll?page=home

78' Switzerland 1 - 1 Israel

kdjac

Nice one, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

switzerland 1 - 1 Israel FT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

what time is the french game on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

7.30-8.00 i suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I would have rathered a Swiss win, but I guess I can live with a draw.
    What the hell is wrong witth the top 4 teams, not beating each other at all.
    It'd be legend if they went through the whole group like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

eirebhoy wrote:
    If Vieira, Sagnol or Makelele get booked they miss the Ireland game.

Is Viera Playing? Mark Lawrenceson said he heard a rumour that Viera was out for the Irish game on Football Focus today. It's Probabaly the manager just playing silly beggars a bit like Dufferes being injured for us. I never understand the need to pretend players are injured in the run up to international games, any manager on his game will have contingenct plans for whatever team is announced match day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Viera is playing yeah.

2-0 at the moment, both goals from Cissie though second was a lucky deflection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Ponster wrote:
    Viera is playing yeah.

2-0 at the moment, both goals from Cissie though second was a lucky deflection.
    is it on any channel on sky or stream on the web??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Gangsta wrote:
    is it on any channel on sky or stream on the web??

Setanta unfortuantly, damm Sky :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

HT France 2 - 0 Faroe Islands . I expected france to get double that.. I guess the islanders are resilient(tough).

What is the point of all these "duff is injured" mind games. how can it possibly work ??

Another draw with Switzerland Israel. I guess thats good for us if we beat France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Its on TV5, Sky Digital 825 (i think). France not looking that clever to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

the cisse fella is having no problem finding the goal when he wears anything but a liverpool jersey :rolleyes:

Looks like an injury for Cisse, I think he had to come off because all the subs were used.

great stuff for us

• Advertisement

FT France [3 - 0] Faroe Islands
    13' [1 - 0] D. Cisse
    18' [2 - 0] S. Olsen (o.g.)
    75' [3 - 0] D. Cisse

not an earth shattering victory..anyone got like a review of the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

France battered the Faroes and looked very dodgy at the back on crosses and set pieces. Didnt look great in midfield either bar Zidane.

Zidane did limp off with a knock on the calf, nothing major.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Not really.

France played pretty well. ZZ did all his usual stuff, walking through players and perfect passing. He came off after a tough tackle but no injury there. The Olsen own goal was a strike from Cisee which took a deflection. He seems to be the danger man atm. They player Cisse and Henry upfront with ZZ just behind them.

Thuram came off with what looked like a very bad injury. I really can't see him playing next week.

Overall France played well with a lot of shots on goal (the F islands goalkeeper was excellent) and plenty of shots pretty close to target. It wasn't the 6-0 that the TV presenters were hoping for but it certainly installed a certain degree of confidence in the team that the public maybe didn't have up until today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Henry certainly wasnt happy at being substituted for Wiltord. Domeneche tried to have a word in his ear but he didnt want to listen.

If Keane and Duff run at Boumsong they will get some joy on Wednesday. Not a good defender at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

So now Switzerland, France and Ireland are all tied at the top with 13 points. Switzerland have +9 goal difference while Ireland and France are both on +7.

Tables

This is goin right down to the wire. Match on Wed should be a cracker. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

SofaKing wrote:
    This is goin right down to the wire. Match on Wed should be a cracker. :)
    Indeed!
    So, If (just say) we manage a sneaky win (or even a draw), who's going to work on Thurs? :D

• Advertisement

According to this, Cisse will have to sit out training for the next few days.

Was Cisse every going to play anyway though?

Of course he was.

With Trezeguet and Saha suspended/injured, France need Cisse to play as the out&out striker with Henry/Zidane/MAlouda behind him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Cisse is their on form striker. I would prefer him to miss the game than henry.

I have Ireland as favourite for the group now imo. 2 top teams at home in Landsdowne. next 3 games 2 wins and a draw (france). (France will beat switzerland)

Although i reckon we're favourites, i think this is how the group will actually finish:
    1. France 20 points
    2. Ireland 20 points
    3. Switzerland 18 points
    4. Israel 17 points

Goal difference will decide group. So unless we get big result against cyprus (4 or 5) we will finish second. As France will get a few goals in their remaining games.

Personally i think Cisse is highly suspect. i hope he plays

france are way behind at the moment are they not ??

We cant beat the french no worries wednesday but we wont. It will be another DRAW FFS. 1-1 or 2-2. Three wins out of three and we go through. two wins and its the fúcking sh1tty trip to Iraq or someplace for the playoffs

• Advertisement

Lets just hope Boumsong plays.

jubbly wrote:
    Personally i think Cisse is highly suspect. i hope he plays

france are way behind at the moment are they not ??
    Regardless, he's the most on-form striker they have at the moment.

We're tied on the same points and same GD as France.
    PHB wrote:
    Lets just hope Boumsong plays.
    Agreed. He's looked pretty bad of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Everyone is bad mouthing Cisse.

He is starting to come back on form at the minute. I am personally really worried about his pace, we don't have a central defender that can even get close to him for pace (Just had a frightening thought of Harte playing and Cisse running at him!!!! :eek: ).
    Zidane will supply him with the sort of ball he can really do damage with (unless Keane kicks Zidane off the park :p).

I think Keano has only ever played Zidane twice, and he lost over the two legs, so I'm sure he'd love to put one over him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

All this talk of goal difference is confusing me.

I was sure head to head match results came first on the criteria for deciding team level on points. I havn't found anything official but some other things I've read have backed me up. Anyone got a link to the official rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

PHB wrote:
    I think Keano has only ever played Zidane twice, and he lost over the two legs, so I'm sure he'd love to put one over him :)

Zidane played in Turin semi in 99. Nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

France didnt look fantastic but got a result. Cisse's spate of recent goals will mean that he will be trying shots on quite a lot during the match, so Given will have to be on his toes and the defence will need to have their wits about them to block him. Of course Cisse wont be the only threat, and Henry may up his performance. Makelele was solid, and Viera did quite good as well I thought. Interesting to see that France got plenty of players wide in the match.

France have a lot of respect for Ireland, so it will be interesting to see their approach for this game. I think Kerr has to play two strikers and occupy the French defence for the first 20 mins. A fast rapid start to this match is or best approach I think. The alternative is to play cautionary, go for a 0-0 until half-time, stroke the ball around, and try a push in the 2nd half. The good news is that France are beatable, so is it a mistake to give them too much respect?

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

All this talk of goal difference is confusing me.

I was sure head to head match results came first on the criteria for deciding team level on points. I havn't found anything official but some other things I've read have backed me up. Anyone got a link to the official rules?

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/releases/en/fwc_regulations_2006_072204_en.pdf
    Page 6

In the league system the ranking in each group is determined as follows:
    (a) greater number of points obtained in all the group matches;
    If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above criterion, their place shall be determined as follows:
    (b) greater number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;
    (c) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;
    (d) greater number of goals scored in the group matches between the teams concerned;
    (e) goal difference in all the group matches;
    (f) greater number of goals scored in all the group matches;
    (g) a play-off on neutral ground.

were ahead of france in goal difference remember

TheMonster wrote:
    (b) greater number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;
    (c) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;
    Ah, so head-to-head matches are taken into account first before GD.

• Advertisement
Advertisement