Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Permanent Hair Dye

• 03-09-2005 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭

Anybody got any good sites for some permenant colours? Im not talking about reds or normal colours but more greens and purples etc. So if anyone has any good shops in Dublin or sites, that'd be great! All help appreciated :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Those kind of colours aren't strictly available in "permanent" form. There are bottles/packets that say permanent, but they're ones which contain the peroxide to bleach your hair at the same time as adding the colour, so the "permanent" effect is referring to the fact that you can't reverse bleaching, you have to wait for it to grow out.

To get those kind of colours to be in any way vivid your hair will have to be bleached first (though I'm sure you know that anyway), but even then you'll have to keep re-applying the colour to keep it looking vibrant.

If you're looking for those products which bleach at the same time as applying the colour (note: they're not suitable for use on already bleached/lightened hair), Boots and Superdrug usually have a good stock of them. However, I have used them myself and found that the results can be quite patchy, and the colour never turns out very bright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

A few years back when in America I got flaming red hair dye and purple as well ina shop called Hot Topic. They've a website hottopic.com and probably sell them online. I didn't bleach my hair and the colour was still very strong (i've brown hair) so bealching it first will probably give it a real striking effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Lola123

I did hairdressing for a few years and those kind of colours don't really come in permanent form. You have to bleach your hair first to get the desired effect (eg. fire engine red) but when hair is bleached the it can't hold pigment for very long so the colours do fade. Best bet is to buy a cheaper wash in wash out type ( the fudge colours are good and they've a good range of colours) and just re-do it as often as you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

There's a place on the third floor of the Steven's Green Shopping Centre - I think it's called Asha? I think they sell Manic Panic, which is probably the hair dye you're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

yup asha in stephens green top floor has wicked colors but you do need to bleach your hair first if its dark so the color will take. also, shop in temple bar beside metamorphis does them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

There's a lot of talk on this subject, rather bizarrely on alt.religion.kibology; search for 'dye'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

manic panic is good, but tbh if you just want streaks you're better off getting a few extensions put in because it is so much hassle!

When I dyed parts of my hair pillarbox red and purple, I had to bleach my hair 2-3 times to bring it up to a white colour, and then put the dye on, wrap the hair in tin foil and hold a hair dryer on the foiled bits to literally bake the colour in.

And even washing my hair every other day I had to bake colour in twice a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

how exactly would you bleach it first? what would you use? how difficult would it be to bleach streaks?

You would use a peroxide mixture to bleach your hair. You can buy very easy to use bleaching kits (consisting of sachets which you basically mix together) specifically for lightening hair.

If you don't know what you're doing, bleach can be very difficult to work with, and even quite dangerous (danger of over-bleaching, etc.). Even once you've got the hang of it it can be quite difficult to bleach your own hair, especially with streaks, as they're quite fiddly. In my experience it takes a bit of practice to get it right.

If you want to do it, don't even consider starting without googling it and reading up on the subject as much as you see fit. It would also help to employ the assistance of a friend if you think you might struggle with it.

Edit: I hope this is of some help. Feel free to PM me if you would like any more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

thanks bounty_hunter .. I think I'll wait until I'll be at home and bring in the help of a friend!! have been considering it for a while now.. as my hair is quite dark, I wanted to put in red streaks.. and would have to bleach it first as it never works just putting in the colour.

• Advertisement

I forgot to mention, if you're willing to spend the money you could have a hairdresser do it for you. Though I reckon it's a good idea to get used to it yourself (as long as you're comfortable with it) so that you can deal with touchups yourself and not have to keep running to a hairdresser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Smart is good I do my hair hot pink and Shocking red a lot and those colours are good admittidly I don't know my natural colour at this stage but you don't really need to bleach it first and mine would be reasonably dark, sorta light brown ish... I have bleached mine first a lot and the colour is amazing and it is permanent, the peroxide is done with teh colour so it all works as one.
    Manic Panis is crap, if its those ones in the coloured boxes, they come out after a couple of washes!

Le Rack wrote:
    Smart is good I do my hair hot pink and Shocking red a lot and those colours are good admittidly I don't know my natural colour at this stage but you don't really need to bleach it first and mine would be reasonably dark, sorta light brown ish... I have bleached mine first a lot and the colour is amazing and it is permanent, the peroxide is done with teh colour so it all works as one.
    Manic Panis is crap, if its those ones in the coloured boxes, they come out after a couple of washes!
    Well obviously you don't have to bleach first if you're using a dye that includes bleach :p Infact it would be very destructive to bleach first aswell in this case. I'm not having a go at you by the way, just trying to avoid any confusion for anyone :)

Yeah I bleach my hair first to make it last longer and make it more vibrant but I only go ape on my hair about once a year otherwise it's like plums and blacks, so as not to totally kill my hair!

My hair this summer!

Ooh, nice! I was trying to dye my hair that colour today but it's been previously dyed with henna and colour won't take. Which is a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

La Riche - Directions
    Look them up online, they sell direct, or you can get it in Asha in the Stephen's Green centre.

As bounty mentioned you can't get them in permanent, but some of them will last a while, and it's very easy to apply (it's creamy, in a pot).

koneko wrote:
    La Riche - Directions
    Look them up online, they sell direct, or you can get it in Asha in the Stephen's Green centre.

As bounty mentioned you can't get them in permanent, but some of them will last a while, and it's very easy to apply (it's creamy, in a pot).
    Regarding that brand, be aware that it stains like a bitch!

True, but if you're careful it doesn't, and you can remove stains from anything like a bath or sink (and you should never wear nice/new clothes when dyeing hair anyway).

I've found it works much better than other brands available here (the ones in the little squirty plastic bottles).

I meant it stains skin more than anything. You have to be extremely careful with protecting around your hairline/tops of your ears, etc. (with vaseline or whatever) or you end up with mad blotches of colour on your face that won't wash off for ages. I just thought it was worth mentioning because it seems to stain a hell of a lot worse than any other brands I've used.

And I agree with you there. It's also nice and shiny if your hair is in reasonable condition.

Any stains I've had on skin have been easily removed with standard facial wipes.

• Advertisement

Odd :/ I've been completely unable to remove any stains I've had. I'm talking about after they've dried in by the way. What colours have you been using?

I've tried most of the reds, pinks, a purple, some darker colours, I've been using that particular brand a good long while now and haven't had any probs.

That's very strange altogether. Just about every time I've used it I've managed to get stains on my face somewhere (how I've managed it is another matter altogether) and it absolutely won't wash off. I've also made the mistake of being lazy and not bothering to put gloves back on, and ended up with coloured fingers for weeks.

Eeek. I always use gloves, it's best to get the little latex (or latex-esque) ones from Boots. Much easier to apply, you can actually feel what you're doing, not like with those crappy plasticy ones.

I've done it that bright cept in pink loads too..

koneko wrote:
    Eeek. I always use gloves, it's best to get the little latex (or latex-esque) ones from Boots. Much easier to apply, you can actually feel what you're doing, not like with those crappy plasticy ones.
    Ah yeah, I wouldn't use those awful things. Needless to say I've only made the glove-less mistake one, but I still always manage to stain my face.

Advertisement