Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major / Minor

Options
  • 03-09-2005 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone please tell me the difference between a Major and a Minor with Regards to the Arts Degree

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

As far as I can tell, a major is 4 subjects each worth 5 credits, and a minor 2 subjects worth 5 credits each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

A major is a degree, basically. In Arts, you do 3 subjects in first year, and drop one after first year, continuing the other two and getting a degree out of them.

EDIT: The subject you drop after first year is your minor, by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Can you take 3 majors and choose which one to drop at the end of first year?

Edit: Nevah mind, I've it sorted! I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Economaniac!

do any 2nd/3rd years find the whole module/horizons/major/minor thing all unneccesarily complicated? the straw that broke the camel's occurred today when my friend doing pure maths asked me advice on arts subjects. Whats this about credits? ahhhh, thank god i got in when i did just before horizons threatened to destroy the ucd arts theme of not caring, now? THEY FORCE YOU TO CARE! its horrible - ahhhhhhhhh

I'm going into first year, but I think the Horizons thing is great! What's wrong with it? It's very confusing, I'll give you that, lol, but once you understand it, it's great, you can study more subjects!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

This is my 4th year in UCD... and I'm just looking at Horizons going "WTF?". It's gonna be a nightmare for 2006/07 when it's brought in for all years...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This is my 4th year in UCD... and I'm just looking at Horizons going "WTF?". It's gonna be a nightmare for 2006/07 when it's brought in for all years...

Eh?!

*once more...* I've been in UCD since 2002. I'm going to be here until 2008, because I'm stupid, and can't finish a degree in 4 years. So we get this Horizons ****e next year.

Dude, it's not a bad thing... are you interested in any subjects? Then it just gives you the opportunity to study them as well.

Lots of stuff :)
    If Japanese was offered as an arts degree subject, then I would do BA CS like *that*
    *snaps fingers*
    also sociology, women's studies (not offered on UCD Horizons now, but hopefully next year), Chinese, linguistics, equality studies... :)

• Advertisement

Then why are you so afraid of Horizons?! :D

Because it's gonna be an administrative nightmare when they have to do it for all years. And I can practically guarantee I won't get the modules I want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

There's always hope RK! You might yet have some luck ;)
    I was looking at modules for ages before I started and I've ended up not taking any of the electives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

*once more...* I've been in UCD since 2002. I'm going to be here until 2008, because I'm stupid, and can't finish a degree in 4 years. So we get this Horizons ****e next year.
    Wait just a cotton-pickin' minute - You're telling me that since I don't finish my degee til 2007 I'm gonna have this Horizons Bullplop inflicted on me?!

Goddammit, and I thought Repeating an entire year had no obvious downsides...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

What's Horizons? It's all change since I left.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Macka

Well how I understand it, we have to accumulate 60 credits. In arts you pick 3 subjects, I went for History (major), greek and roman civilisation (major) and canadian studies (minor), that gives me 50 credits 20 each for the majors and 10 for the minor. Since I was 10 credits short I had to pick 2 extra modules from the elective modules list to bring my total to 60 credits (that'd be hebrew then)
    Major-4 modules-20 credits
    Minor-2 modules-10 credits
    I think thats right......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I'm still so confused. I've emailed heads of departments, student advisers, examinations, fees/grants about numerous things to do with this modularisation malarkey and it's being either no response or a ''don't know.'' They really are a bunch of useless muppets out in this college.

^
    Ask some questions here, I think I'm starting to understand, so maybe I can explain better than, "a module is a self-contained piece of learning" (BARF!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

They really are a bunch of useless muppets out in this college.

I sometimes think they should change its name to University College Dzerzhinskiy, Dzerzhinskiy. And install corrupt propogators of backwards officialdom... oh wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

It's really confusing... I screwed up so many times signing up for random classes before I went to that Academic Advisory Meeting (also very confusing and a bit boring), in which they repeated themselves about a hundred times in numerous different ways so that eventually you understood at least some part of what they were saying...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Zane, give Moss Garde a buzz. His wife just had a baby so he's a bit on the busy side, but if you're finding it hard to get in contact with him, let me know and I'll see if I can help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Vic Mackey

it took me ages to get everything together online aswell, but once you have done it, its pretty good. it lets you do things you wouldnt have had the opportunity to do previously.

btw, if any of you are doin arts, introducttion to political thery, check your times are ok for tutorials and lectures cos i got an email from college today tellin me the times have been changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Blush_01 wrote:
    Zane, give Moss Garde a buzz. His wife just had a baby so he's a bit on the busy side, but if you're finding it hard to get in contact with him, let me know and I'll see if I can help you.

I'm alot clearer about what I'm doing now and alot clearer about modularisation, fees etc. so I prob won't need to talk to them at the mo' but cheers anyway. :)

Advertisement