Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Because We're Worth It

Options
  • 03-09-2005 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Maybe you should just have gone to UCC instead...

Is all of this UCDDDDD major/ minor/ module/ Engineering with Psychology timetabling crap worth it the trouble?

Are we worth it? 7 votes

Yes, the beaurocracy excites me!
    0% 0 votes
    No way, Jose I just wanted to be a biochemist
    100% 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

No, i dont like being egotistical about where i go to university.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

i actually do just want to be a biochemist, it's a good idea(horizons) but seems very confusing in terms of sorting everything out :(:confused: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Yes, the beaurocacy excites me!!

I think it should be very interesting but i'm kinda worried its going to be a lot of extra work/hassle.
    Another thing about it is nobody seems to understand it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

modularisation isn't made any easier to understand by putting a tri-syllabic name like "horizons" on it, why can't we just do courses the way they were done when we first expressed an interest in them, like four or five years ago?
    besides, very few students are going to use this great new freedom of choice to get tailormade degrees, most of us chose our courses because they interest us, who's going to want to take a spoonful of animal husbandry with their architecture degree? or maybe a pinch of canadian history and sociology for the vets of the future? any takers? didnt think so. im studying architecture, fair enough, in semester two i have to choose an elective module, but im going to take whats on offer within architecture anyway!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It's bull**** just to make Brady and his little mercenaries look good. He seems more interested in having photos of himself around a nice 'corporate' university where we've all got KPMG on our shirts, Microsoft on our trousers and IBM tatooed on our foreheads than in running a university. Horizons is just a little folly of that. :(

And no, I see very few people doing a 'tailormade' degree. The only positive thing it may do is allow people to do something a bit interesting and off the beaten track, but that could have been done without the horrenduous waste of money on 'branding'. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

well thank god i only have to suffer this(possibly) for third year... which might suck royally given that its when I'm trying to get a ****ing degree...

The whole thing just proves that brady really doesnt give a **** about the students of UCD... but we all knew that anyway. **** em. He never comes down from his Ivory Tower anyway. When was the last time u actually saw him walking around campus? never. why? coz he's a tool. some parts of the SU and student body would tear him limb from limb.

extra hundred quid to register this year. **** his ass... OZ style!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

WTF is going to happen to final years on courses where they have to work nights eg veterinary, medicine and nursing? Work nights and then come back into Belfield to learn about the romantic poets of the 19th century?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭ergo

Red Alert wrote:
    It's bull**** just to make Brady and his little mercenaries look good. He seems more interested in having photos of himself around a nice 'corporate' university where we've all got KPMG on our shirts.....

well if the place wasn't so ridiculously under-funded maybe all this wouldn't be an issue

and looking at the fees Americans pay (both at home and here) I'd be more than happy to bitch about the admin fee (which is worryingly creeping up every year however)

and Tony O' Reilly? Lochlan Quinn anyone? these were around long before Hugh Brady came along

one benefit of Horizons would be to allow students to stream in better with US or European univeristies in terms of credits etc I presume, we'll see how it goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ArizonaBayNow!

What exactly is so terrible about Horizons? The system doesn't force you to take anything outside of your core area(s), all it does is recognise that in most any course you're going to be studying stuff that isn't relevent to the end degree, and gives you the option of choosing something more interesting, so that you can do something you enjoy instead of slogging through lectures you don't care about. What if I don't want to take geology or compsci as part of my course in first year, what if I'd rather do a module of history or english? If you only want to take modules entirely within arts, science, business, whatever, you still can.

It really isn't that difficult, sure the system used to pick modules could use some improving, but it's the first time it's being used, there are always going to be hitches. It's not like Brady and company are holding you down and pulling out your toenails.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

Well I just know I can't take my preferred three arts courses (English Philosophy and Psychology) because of this stupid major/minor crap. No matter. I'll do spanish...

• Advertisement
Advertisement