Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A solution for Smart BB aolynk router for P2P networking!

• 03-09-2005 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

(Emule, bittorrent and etc.)

After reading everywhere, posting and emailing the huawei-3com guys, I came up with a solution that's working for me great.

NOTE! after changing the settings it will no longer function as a router, meaning it'll probably be pointless to connect more then 1 computer to it, and the soho is also off, so get yourself a good firewall!

STEP1 (THANKS TO Garfield Connolls' post here):
    "If you want to switch the router to a dedicated bridge mode, please carry out the following:

Open your browser to 192.168.1.1
    Select 'WAN Setup' in the left-hand panel
    On the PPPoEup line, select Edit
    Change the VPI/VCI values to anything other than 8/35, click 'Change' at bottom of page
    Select WAN setup in the left-hand panel again
    Click 'Create a new service'
    Ensure the 'PureBridge' radio button is selected
    Click 'Configure' button
    Enter VPI 8, VCI 35
    Click 'Apply'
    You will receive the message : "DHCP server will be disabled after PureBridge connection is created"
    Click OK.
    Select 'Save Config' in the left-hand panel and save the config."

STEP 2:
    on windows (xp) you need to create pppoe dialer as described here:
    http://www.petri.co.il/configure_a_pppoe_dialer_in_windows_xp.htm

Post here if it works for you as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 begad

Does anyone know how to carry out Step 2 on Windows 2000?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Probably not a good idea to just enable bridging on all ports.

Try setting just the ports you need for torrent. And configure the router to auto Dial Connection will get you round the pppoe dialer in windows. Not sure have never configured a smart telecom router. But routers are fairly simple to config

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

NutJob wrote:
    Try setting just the ports you need for torrent.
    Thats using NAT, and NAT is whats causing the problem... that solution won't work at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

To help my googling, does anyone know what the equivalent of 'setting up a PPPoE dialer' is in 2000, please? I've gone through the Make New Connection wizard on my 2000 and it doesn't look anything like the instructions for XP above - so should I be looking for something else?

Also, if I want to connect two computers to the Smart broadband service after making the changes in Arikv's wonderful post - is there any way to do that? Could I connect something (like another router) to the Aolink router?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

edanto wrote:
    To help my googling, does anyone know what the equivalent of 'setting up a PPPoE dialer' is in 2000, please? I've gone through the Make New Connection wizard on my 2000 and it doesn't look anything like the instructions for XP above - so should I be looking for something else?

Also, if I want to connect two computers to the Smart broadband service after making the changes in Arikv's wonderful post - is there any way to do that? Could I connect something (like another router) to the Aolink router?

I've searched google for: PPPoE windows 2000

And found (you should modify where needed)
    http://ca.huji.ac.il/services/internet/connect/adsl/pppoe2k.shtml

And also:
    http://www.connect.com.fj/index.cfm?si=main.resources&cmd=forumview&cbegin=31&uid=support&cid=29

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

If you bitorent or Emule etc needs a cetain port to be accessable externally then you just forward it to the machine running emule.
    The ports you need to forward are well documented on the internet.

No need to put every port onto your machine, its a bit overkill.
    If going to use bridging then you'll most likely need to install a firewall on your windows PC and if you have a firewall on the PC then you're back to opening up ports again.

Just my 2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

aye, but hte problem seems to be the router cannot handle the 100's of connections a P2P app like bittorrent needs to work efficiently. Therefore the only way to stop the router freezing is to disable nat, by sending all connections to the specified computer...

Anyone had any luck getting this to work for windows 2000...havent tried it yet myself....

bricks wrote:
    If you bitorent or Emule etc needs a cetain port to be accessable externally then you just forward it to the machine running emule.
    The ports you need to forward are well documented on the internet.

No need to put every port onto your machine, its a bit overkill.
    If going to use bridging then you'll most likely need to install a firewall on your windows PC and if you have a firewall on the PC then you're back to opening up ports again.

Just my 2c

Mutant_Fruit got the point, the problem is the routers ability to handle p2p massive connections causing the router to fget stuck.

begad wrote:
    Anyone had any luck getting this to work for windows 2000...havent tried it yet myself....

Me neither - I'll need to connect my computer and my flatmate's to the broadband, so I'll have to find a way around that before changing things. Maybe a new router would be the best fix?

arikv - cheers for the links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

edanto wrote:
    Me neither - I'll need to connect my computer and my flatmate's to the broadband, so I'll have to find a way around that before changing things. Maybe a new router would be the best fix?

arikv - cheers for the links.

The reason it can't be done in anything but XP is because no other MS os has an in-built PPPoE dialer. To use PPPoE on other OS's you will need some sort of third party software like this

That should allow you to create PPPoE sessions on your box thus allowing you to use the router in bridge mode.

Just make sure you have a firewall of somesort.

TimTim wrote:
    That should allow you to create PPPoE sessions on your box thus allowing you to use the router in bridge mode.

Cheers. That's problem no.2 solved.

Problem no. 1 is that is it seems I can only connect one PC to an Aolynk modem that is in bridge mode. (from the OP). So, for the two of us to share the broadband and start using p2p, I might have to buy another router.

I appreciate all the effort you guys go to in explaining the nitty gritty to folks like myself that are just getting used to adjusting settings on computers :)

I can't remember exactly but I do think win2k has the option of ICS. How to set it up and enable it I can no longer remember as I've actually gone out and bought routers (even had a 56k one! shared over 3 computers...those were some dark times)

ICS isn't great but its free so I think its a good deal.

Thanks. I looked up ICS (hadn't heard of it) and this is what it does, right?

Bridged Router --> First computer -- ICS--> Second computer

It seems like it wouldn't work in this case as the first computer connected to the router would have to be turned on before the second computer would have internet. That would be hassle for my flatmate I'd say.

Thanks for bringing another option though.

No problem, the only other alternative is to either throttle your p2p program so it doesn't crash the router.

Seeing as that might be not an option for some a new router may be the way to go. Personally I've found the Netgear DG834 to be quite good, and there is a ADSL2+ firmware update for it too, which is always nice so don't have to switch over my router when smart come to my exchange (not that its a hassle anyway)

TimTim wrote:
    The reason it can't be done in anything but XP is because no other MS os has an in-built PPPoE dialer. To use PPPoE on other OS's you will need some sort of third party software like this

Just make sure you have a firewall of somesort.

I downloaded the above program from www.portbridge.com and tried to install it but it failed saying i had no network card available (i connect to my router via usb) but now i can't connect to the net and when i ping my router it tells me "destination host unreacable"........

also when a try a "ipconfig /renew" it says "dhcp server unreachable".......i have tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it about ten times but still can't connect to the net or ping my router.....

what is going on....can anyone help me please!!!!!!!!!

begad wrote:
    I downloaded the above program from www.portbridge.com and tried to install it but it failed saying i had no network card available (i connect to my router via usb) but now i can't connect to the net and when i ping my router it tells me "destination host unreacable"........

also when a try a "ipconfig /renew" it says "dhcp server unreachable".......i have tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it about ten times but still can't connect to the net or ping my router.....

what is going on....can anyone help me please!!!!!!!!!

My bad, I never looked fully into it but I heard it had worked before (not straight out of the box though :p) You have to install the PPPoE driver first on the adapter going to be used to connect to the modem. Its all in the readme

I think README2K.HTM would be most appropiate for most people....

TimTim wrote:
    My bad, I never looked fully into it but I heard it had worked before (not straight out of the box though :p) You have to install the PPPoE driver first on the adapter going to be used to connect to the modem. Its all in the readme

I think README2K.HTM would be most appropiate for most people....

No worries TimTim I just reset the router and everything is back to normal....I reckon I might just shell out for the netgear after all.........

Took me a copule of minutes to find my own thread.
    Why is the search disabled?

A few ppl asked me about the solution but no search is available, so up you go...

Advertisement