Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Carlow??

• 03-09-2005 9:11pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭

can anyone tell me if broadband is available everywhere in carlow? or more specifically in southern gardens??

i dont think ill be able to survive the college year without my daily fix of wow :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I don't know if phone line BB is available in all of Carlow, I'm up near the sugar factory and the only BB I could get and subsequently did get was Digiweb Wireless. €35 a month for 512k down 128k up, €79 installation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

i heard that you can get netsource around somewhere. i dont know the in's and outs, all i know is that ppl have gotten it in carlow.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

ibb will be availabe in carlow this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

DSL is available in most of carlow, we had it last year in Millbrook.

Yeah it's available in Carlow if you live in a 2km radius from XtraVision seemingly!. If you live beyond the Bank Of Ireland next to the courhouse, Eircom will tell you to go **** your uncle before they upgrade that exchange! (AND THAT'S WHERE A HUGE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE LIVE IN CARLOW!!!, ****ing stupid Eircom entrusted to roll out BB in Ireland, never leave the roll out of a public amenity to a private company, they'll only do sections if and when it suits them)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

Kiith wrote:
    can anyone tell me if broadband is available everywhere in carlow? or more specifically in southern gardens??

i dont think ill be able to survive the college year without my daily fix of wow :(

you will have BB in college, its only accross the road :rolleyes:

Yeah he wants to play World Of Warcraft though General, the college blocks the ports it uses..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

, I'm up near the sugar factory and the only BB I could get and subsequently did get was Digiweb Wireless. €35 a month for 512k down 128k up, €79 installation.

your best bet as the house we have would not have a phone line and would be expensive to installl wireless not that good for gaming :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

hmm 35 a month aint so bad, i wasnt going to get broadband because of the phone line rental, didnt know you could wireless in carlow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭s4dd

not yet you can't... but me and tomtom have an understanding.. *taps nose*. Also, i believe if you have line of site with some mountain in Laois,you can get some crappy expensive service that i believe the twins have

• Advertisement

s4dd wrote:
    not yet you can't... but me and tomtom have an understanding.. *taps nose*. Also, i believe if you have line of site with some mountain in Laois,you can get some crappy expensive service that i believe the twins have

Yes you can, I have it, I live in Carlow

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i know it is available in some parts of carlow, but does anyone know of somone on the far side of town with it, ie southern gardens? cause i cant, and i mean cant, go without wow.....well i can, but i dont want to.

check with a friend, and it would cost 129 euro to install the connection, since there isnt one already, and 19.99 a moth line rental. but he's not sure about broadband. i was gonna check the "test my line" thing, but i dont have any numbers for southern gardens.

ok, scratch that. i just checked the accomodation listings on the it website for a landline number in southern gardens, did the "test my line" and it passed :)

so, does that mean i can deffo get it, or is there other conditions?

Laguna wrote:
    Yes you can, I have it, I live in Carlow

Eh, i believe i said if you have line of site of some mountain you can have it.. it's not all over carlow yet... you frigging smartarse

Why am I a smart arse? Because I disproved your point?

"Disproved"?! did you actually read my post before you responded? i can paste it in again if you like? i said in the same sentence/breath that i knew people on the boarder with laois that had wireless.. i was talking about carlow as an area in general.

I suspect you have line of site to yon mountain top in laois, hmm?

Whatever, the technician who installed it in my house said all houses in Carlow can get it as the transmitter has a 10km range. I don't really give a **** to be honest, I've already got it. Why do I post on Boards anymore with so many zealots. Do you read what you type? "I can paste it in again if you like?", who do you think you're talking to?. It's all well and good talking like mr Big behind a keyboard and net connection, but is this the way you respond to people in real life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Laguna is there a fixed contract with Digiweb for the wireless or do they have the same scheme IBB have for ripwave?

How are u finding the service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

bitch fight!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's surprisingly decent enough woodyg!. No comparison to IBB at all, good customer support, little packet loss and there's hardly anyone ever on at the same time as me, so the contention ratio is never 36:1, more like 5:1!. The minimum contract is 12 months. The only thing that stings me is that for the same money (€35), I'd be getting 2mb/512k through the phone line (from UTV/Smart) as opposed to the 512k/128k that I get, bah, what can you do?. I think Eircom regards Carlow as done in their mind with regards to Broadband enabled exchanges (even though they only enabled one of the exchanges in Carlow), so I get the feeling that if you can't get it through the phoneline now, you won't get it..

heh, eh.. this is how i talk to people all the time. your one sentence answer came off as "smart arse"... perhaps i've judeged you wrong and you're really a sweet little pup. and the "512/128" was the "crappy service" i was refering to... now enough.. here have a hug *hug*

• Advertisement

i hate the 12 month contract catch!
    It makes it impossible for students to get a service.
    Thats the only thing Rip wave has goin for it NO contract!
    I might still go for it even though i will only be in carlow for 3 months!

woodyg, you could always just move into a house that already has broadband... or is it too late for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Laguna wrote:
    Whatever, the technician who installed it in my house said all houses in Carlow can get it as the transmitter has a 10km range. I don't really give a **** to be honest, I've already got it. Why do I post on Boards anymore with so many zealots. Do you read what you type? "I can paste it in again if you like?", who do you think you're talking to?. It's all well and good talking like mr Big behind a keyboard and net connection, but is this the way you respond to people in real life?

Careful now.
    Just because a techie said it doesnt mean its true.
    For instance, I'm a techie. I say that s4dd is quite right in what he said and you are wrong and you didnt disprove his point merely walked around it. Doesnt necessarily make it so, now does it? :o

But seriously, ease off with the righteous indignation, please Laguna. You are starting to give me crabs.

Ivan wrote:
    ...S4dd...

ffs, ivan, s4dd!! SMALL "s".. gobpoop

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Jesus, what a pack of bitches.

Stephen
    Jesus, what a pack of bitches

Yea it's no suprise Compsoc went down the tube when Spacedog left as el Presidentai way back in the day!

All compsoc does these days is play CS and cause crap with the Admins

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

hey, what does thread have to do with compsoc?? and its not just us bitching. sure we are a pack of bitches and we did cause hassle with the admins, but you dont have to point it out :(

if you have any suggestions for a better compsoc, then tell us, and we'll see what we can do. (but since this is a broadband in carlow thread, try the other post)

Advertisement