Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

alexander the director's cut

• 04-09-2005 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭

just watched it tonight and i have to say i thought it was good.
    im not sure how different it is from the cinema version but i heard its just a little shorter and some of the scenes are in different places i.e the flashbacks are spaced out more evenly and the battle of gaugemala takes place after 30 minutes instead of 50.
    i also didnt think the farreller's performance was bad, in fact thought it was quite good in places, that is to say uneven...

has anyone seen both yet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Nope, just the director's cut, horrible movie I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭_Turismo4

Alexander with an irish accent, don’t think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

No one sknow what type of an accent macedonians had,
    so they made them all have irish accents and the majority of the actors
    playing macedonians were irish actors with the exception of
    Val Kilmar who played Philp with an irish accent anyway.

I think this will be the first time ive ever criticised oliver stone for anything but....
    I liked alexander when i saw it in the cinema -
    saw the first hour of the directors cut, and i really thought it was bad. Firstly it was extremely gay, im talking about the "aura" of the flick, it was just kind of poncey an effect i didnt get from the cinema version. Something that has also come to mind is the AWFUL soundtrack, its one of the worst ive ever heard and I just cant beleive its in the film.

I actually stopped watching it after an hour, i coudnt take any more. Believe me i am a die hard stone fan, i think hes the greatest living director alongside coppola, whatever he did with the first hour of the DCut is his worst work to date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭Rcuomo

who did you get the gay vibe from the kids for f*ck sake? you should listen to the commentary, stone explains alot of the choices he made in the movie...
    and to the person who used the 'alexander with an irish accent' as a reason for the film being bad, apparently there's evidence that points to macedonian's having ties with the celts or along the same bloodline or something...and anyway would you have preferred an american accent on them? how would that be better?

• Advertisement

i didnt specfically mention the kids now did i, although yes they played a part in the first hour. Im not talking about guys coming on to eachother, im talking about how it was filmed the use of symbolism, the music, just the dialogue between him an Feistian and how it was presented etc, there was serious homosexual overtones that werent nearly as prominent in the cinema version. And as it pains me to criticise stone i dont think this is something im going to just come up with out of nowhere.
    I do agree the irish accent jibe is total bull, it is in my opinion clever use of actors....i mean would it feel better if they all had american accents because we are more used to hearing that accent on screen? or do you get a load of Serbs or Greeks etc....

ha just realised the american accent thing was already mentioned, apologies for reitteratin ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Ah come on, its the worst film ive seen this year by far. I see the point about American and irish accents in films and it is a good one. But a guy in a blonde wig running around ancient Macedonia with an irish accent is taking things too bloody far if you ask me.

There was one scene where a group of kids were sitting on a hill listening to a Philosopher and one of the kids asked him a question ("Here sor, why did Achillies run in ta batel afer Patraclas was murdurd") in a fairly thick dublin accent. I dont think i stopped laughing for a good 5 minutes.

And then the constant shots of pretty men with too much eyeliner on, filmed in the warm glow of candlelight was just a bit much. Angelina Jolie was pretty terrible in it also, talk about phoning in a performance.

All in all i thought it was a disaster of a film and i turned it off about 3/4 way through. Even the bit where he rode his horse in front of his men before a battle had me cringing it was so badly done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

oliver stone let them run amuck with the accents.

true, we don't know what accents the macadonians had, but for jesus sake, for the film, at least have ONE accent going through the film. not this mish-mash of ****.

it's a bad film, end of. bad script (proven by the fact it needed a directors cut upon dvd realse straight away), bad acting, and so on.`

theres something to think about when dealing with accents. If a few irish people from dublin go abroad some from the north side and some from the south side, and im not talking the extremes of both, foreign people if you talk to them wont notice a difference in the accent, so if one of those kids has a more dublin accent then others the only people who are gona notice are irish, and as cool as we all are i dont think it was a film made specifically for irish people.

As far as acting is concerned its very easy to jump on a bandwagon and start saying everything is crap about the film because a few things are wrong with it.

I thought Farrell did the part very well, he grew throughout the film to that fantastic scene where is tryin to motivate the battle weary soldiers to keep goin, thats outstanding stuff. throughout the film he grows more and more into the mold of Alexander something i think which was planned and exectuted well. It can be difficult to listen to so many irish accents and farrell being alexander because we are not use to big irish stars playing roles like that.
    As far as Angelina Jolie is concerned what makes her performance bad? i cant see it. she is not a worldbeating actress by any means but i think she performed to the best of her abilities.
    If theres one thing about stone is that he gets the best out of actors and he did hear, but then again we're not dealin with Pacino and oldman here.

As a said before i think this is stones worst work, but there is still a lot of good things about it
    If theres one thing about stone is he get

• Advertisement

gets the best out of his actors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

turned it off halfway through

Advertisement