Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Thunder ahoy! Today(4th-5th september)

• 04-09-2005 11:40am

Today *could* be interestingly thundery.
    Theres already heavy rain in the south west particularally over Cork and Kerry and theres sferics showing up off the south Coast.

It's hard to say where the thunder threat is specifically but it could be anywhere in the south ,up the spine of the country,the East and north East later on and through tonight.

Theres been milky sunshine here in south Wicklow this morning and its quite muggy at nearly 21c.
    But whats more interesting, is that in the cloud structures over head,I can see a lot of cumolonimbus with sharp straight defined jagged edges which is a sign that thunder is very possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Thunder, will there be lightning with that too?

Only if you dont close your eyes and hide under the table ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yep very humid out there. I reckon possibility of thunder and lightning
    south of a line from Meath to Galway during the afternoon
    and evening. :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Earthman wrote:
    But whats more interesting, is that in the cloud structures over head,I can see a lot of cumolonimbus with sharp straight defined jagged edges which is a sign that thunder is very possible.

Yes noticed that, though it has got increasingly hazy. Temp has fallen a little since the high of 21C.
    Certainly a thundery feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looks like theres been a couple of CG strikes in Wicklow in the past 30 mins, sparking up a bit in the midlands too - looking good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It was very dark and humid down here with some rain but its brightening up as I type.

Mike.

Single clap about 15 minutes back, light rain since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It is quite windy though. Won't do thermals any good.

Danno wrote:
    It is quite windy though. Won't do thermals any good.

Flat calm here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Pelting it down in N Louth here right now...some distant thunder about 15 min ago but no lightning apparent.

• Advertisement

All the haze has seemed to have cleared off. Sheet of mid level cloud with some breaks here and there allowing the sunshine to poke through.

Seems to be something developing way south of here possible along the KK Tipp border down around Freshford

Mothman wrote:
    Flat calm here.

Flat calm here also.

Got very dark with some spits of rain.
    But the main activity was out over the Irish sea where it go very black.That must of got nearer to you than me.
    Heard no thunder here (yet)

If we had more sunshine we would have a better chance IMO.

Started bucketing down now rainrate of near 40mm/hr, no thunder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

just lots and lotss of heavy rain around 3pm the sun is shining now.

link to Radar http://www.metoffice.com/weather/europe/uk/radar/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Very heavy rain in Dun laoghaire now. Id love a bit of thunder now we haven't had a bit for ages.

The rain stopped and then it became foggy and then suddenly started bucketing again with a rainrate of near 40mm/hr, now easing as I type.

In fact rate got to 45mm/hr, just got 1mm in about 90secs

Lashing rain here with me at the moment 15 miles south of Mothman
    Thunder wouldnt surprise me looking at the radar.
    There are sferics in the Irish sea at the moment and if you tune your mw radio to a quiet channel, theres a lot of loud crackling which is caused by the sferics.
    Theres quite a lot of it to come and it's probably with mothman too or getting very near him by the looks of things.
    Theres another line just north of this in a band thats just escaping Dublin on its northwest flank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Bone dry here in Rathgar, suprised its raining so close.
    Major rain just missing the east coast on the radar atm, maybe Dun Laoghaire is somehow catching it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Nice over Wexford at the moment - see how the radar picks up the showers bulging/merging as they try to climb the Blackstairs Mtns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts - Moderate rain, dense cloud.

2200z radar shows showers breaking up/fading away... damn it. There goes ANOTHER good chance. There has been a HUGE shortage of thunder this summer.

Very active radar near Dublin and also just west of myself now.
    Dry but cloudy here though

Taf from Dub a while ago
    prob 40 TEMPO 2202 TSRA BECMG 0104 0400 FG BKN001=

So 40% probability of thunder, same probability for cork tonight by the guys there.

Anyway tomorrow is another day to watch.

Signing off here for the night-plugging out the modem and pc too (just in case)

Biggest lightning show I;ve seen up here in a while...lot of cloud to cloud and some groundstrikes...it;s rolling in off dundalk bay and the rains been pissin' down for about 2 hours. Still very humid so gonna last another while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

edit, where abouts are you wertz.

the radar is showing downpours on the eastern border area

north of Dundalk...got a bit more intense the last 5 min too. Strike every 30-60 seconds. Mountains are probably helping slow it,
    Sitting here in the dark on the laptop with the curtains open...another close strik just now.

It stopped raining...all there is now is low rumbles from wherever it's moved on to...S Dwon probably...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Lotsa thunder and lightning in Stamullen between 10.30pm and midnight last night.

More on the way today / tonight?

What you got in stamullen and around Dundalk last night was the system I spoke of that was just off shore from Dublin before I logged off.

It was the remenants of storms that built up in the heat and humidity over Wales and north west England and drifted out over the Irish sea.

There might be more storms today but if there are, they'll be localised affairs.
    There isnt the same ingredients for them as there was yesterday.
    Intense showers may give thunder but not always.

It's sunnier here today than yesterday-lovely in fact and warm almost 21c already :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement