Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ICE beginner

Options
  • 04-09-2005 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭

I want to add an amp and sub to my car but am kinda clueless when it comes to all this. I have a Ford with a 6000 radio, there are front and rear(which I installed) speakers already in place. I don't wanna change the head unit. Is this gonna be possible? What wires etc will I need.
    I have a budget of about €250-€300. Will that get me something decent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I would presume your head unit is pretty crap as it's a ford standard. You won't be able to change any of the subs sound using your old head unit. You would be much better off trading up your head unit than getting a sub for the old one. As the saying goes, you can't make a silk purse from a sows ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

FX Meister wrote:
    I would presume your head unit is pretty crap as it's a ford standard. You won't be able to change any of the subs sound using your old head unit. You would be much better off trading up your head unit than getting a sub for the old one. As the saying goes, you can't make a silk purse from a sows ear.
    Yeh it's just yer bog standard 6000 series Ford radio....what sorta stuff would I be able to change if I were to go get a brand name radio? Like surely on a subwoofer, there's just a knob to alter the amount of bass?
    And I like my Ford radio with it's big buttons! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

There's a small adjuster for the gain level on mine, it's got the amp built in. I crank mine up to about 75%. Then with my Pioneer head unit I can adjust the level I want as well as the frequency and store a couple of different presets. I doubt the Ford has a sub out put so I'm not sure what you need to do to get around that. A proper head unit will give you much better sound than the one you have at the moment anyway and you may feel you don't need a sub after all.

Advertisement