Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Change location of boot.ini

• 04-09-2005 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm wondering if anyone knows how to change where windows searches for boot.ini? Whats happening is that I've got 2 partitions with win98 on the first and winxp on the second. But the boot.ini for winxp is on the first partition. I've copied it to the second but windows is still trying to load the one from the first partition. Where do I change where windows looks for it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Wandering Dazed

What exactly are you trying to do? Windows always looks for the boot.ini in the root directory of the active partition. If both os's load fine then all is working ok. You generally edit the boot.ini to point to different os's on separate partitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

What happens is that when I set the first partition active, it boots the boot.ini just fine, and I can load XP (i don't want to boot the win98 partition, which is the first partition) but when I set the XP partition active, it doesn't boot at all.

It doesn't really matter now, seen as I just formatted and started again. It was much easier. I hate messing with partitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Wandering Dazed

Probably because when you installed xp with 98 installed (I assume that was what happened) xp copied its boot files/boot record onto the first partition. I hate editing the boot.ini as well always gets messy. ;)

Advertisement