Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool in trouble with Kewell transfer?

• 04-09-2005 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/story_pages/sport/sport4.shtml
    LIVERPOOL and Leeds face the threat of a transfer ban for using an unlicensed agent in Harry Kewell's move.

FIFA plan to charge both clubs after a full-scale probe into the £5million switch.

And if found guilty they could be banned from any dealing in the next transfer window as well as being hit with hefty fines. Max Sport, a company run by Kewell's manager Bernie Mandic, received £2m from the transfer.

The issue was brought to light during Kewell's libel action against Gary Lineker. The FA had their own inquiry and handed the findings to FIFA.

Fined

Earlier this year Arsenal were fined £10,000 after using an unlicensed agent in the signing of Quincy Owusu Abeyie. Their transfer ban was suspended for two years.

The case against Kewell is seen as more serious.

A FIFA spokesman said: "I can confirm we are investigating the matter."

Seems odd to me, but anyone know anythign bout this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I read it in the paper aswell, i dont know what to make of it though, you know fifa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I'll believe it when I see it... well, anywhere other than the NotW. If it's true and we do get a transfer ban in the next window, it'll make things very interesting in the 2nd half of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

At least we wouldn't need to worry about Chile trying to climb to 70th in the world rankings by Christmas...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

I would not be too worried about it, from the echo..

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_objectid=15933430%26method=full%26siteid=50061%26headline=chile%2ddefeat%2dhits%2dplans%2dto%2dland%2dgonzalez-name_page.html

"Meanwhile, FIFA have confirmed they're investigating Liverpool and Leeds for using an unlicensed agent during the Harry Kewell transfer in 2003.

The Reds face a fine for using Bernie Mandic in the deal. A temporary transfer ban is a possible, but highly unlikely outcome if the club is found guilty"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

BAN them!!! hahahahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Liverpool were in trouble the second someone mentioned Kewel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Kewell , I am sure he is worth all the hassle he has caused :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

I heard of this before and i would be a little worried. FIFA really want to clamp down on agents and they could make an example of this case to everybody by giving both parties the max. penalty. Liverpool would be in trouble if this happened as they need to use that next transfer window badly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Would it be fair to give arsenal a suspended sentence and to ban liverpool for basically the same offence ? I mean if the english FA don't show favoritism to clubs you would hardly expect FIFA to. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

d22ontour wrote:
    Would it be fair to give arsenal a suspended sentence and to ban liverpool for basically the same offence ? I mean if the english FA don't show favoritism to clubs you would hardly expect FIFA to. ;)

LOL

Was it fair to give Ferdinand a much tougher sentence than the Man City player guilty of the very same offence. Even the tougher sentence was not enough for blatter and FIFA as an example had to be made of the English club. Fairness will not be a consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

The Muppet wrote:
    LOL

Was it fair to give Ferdinand a much tougher sentence than the Man City player guilty of the very same offence. Even the tougher sentence was not enough for blatter and FIFA as an example had to be made of the English club. Fairness will not be a consideration.
    Poor baby, you have your defender back now (and hopefully he's learnt his lesson) :p

Liverpool seem to be getting involved in a lot of non-football battles in recent times:

-Planning permission battle for new stadium (that one seems farcical to me, think we're going backwards)
    -Work permit battle for Gonzales (could be resolved in 6 months, or 12 months, or God knows)
    -Kewell's transfer (back to square one, FIFA handed case back to FA)
    -CSKA Sofia and racism (Sofia are now trying to claim the crowd only started making monkey noises towards Cisse after he made a "gesture" towards them - I don't see that argument holding water and luckily it's not being tried in a Bulgarian court)
    -Liverpool fan jailed in Bulgaria en-route from the CL final (someone else has confessed and he's still in jail)
    -Ongoing proceedings from our match with Millwall last year (looks like Millwall are starting to win their court battles, hope that has no implications dragging Liverpool back into things)
    -Media battle over the Summer to try to be included in this seasons CL final
    -Steve Finnans road accident (investigation is still ongoing, so he's not fully cleared yet)

There's probably more, hopefully it's not having an impact on the players performances. Benitez can do a Fergie and start saying that everything is against us and use it as a motivational stick, but i don't think it's his style.

Advertisement