Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game/Compsoc ...

• 04-09-2005 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭

Who's going to be in charge this year, eh?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

dunno :D
    should be funny though, if they dont get someone to keep the peace with the IT department its bye bye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭s4dd

more importantly, i'd very much like to talk to them about the upcoming year.... ah screw it, they should make ME president.. i mean, we're all thinking it!! ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i think myself, balkie, monk and xavier had planned on sorting it out (if no one else minds). also, i was voted (without my prior knowledge) to be the one who deals with the techies :(

so, anyone have any requests for it? or do you want to be herded like the sheep you are :D

Eh, i'm not going to be herded with anyone.. i want to talk with whoever's going to be in charge when they get the chance..

Also, is it going to be purely games again? What's the plan for the year?

well, chances are cs will take over again, but we'll try to get some other decent games. anyone have any suggestions? and it'll more then likely be just games. thats why people go (i assume). im sure you could get help with work etc...but im pretty sure netsoc does that sort of thing. they'd probably be alot more helpful (not to mention alot smarter then us)

and i can pass along any messages to balkie/xavier if you want. just pm me and i'll let them know. (or you could just wait till we start up again)

and the herded thing was obviously a joke :)

• Advertisement

netsoc, smarter? *blushes* ... well it is true :P

I'd just like to work with compsoc in relation to a few different things this year... Like our IM server (behind the college firewall) and a few other bits and bobs.. Consider this a request for a brief chat with balkie/xavier so :)

ok, xavier is on holidays and balkie is...god only knows, so if you wanna pm me, ill pass on the message once they get back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

Yea it's no suprise Compsoc went down the tube when Spacedog left as el Presidentai way back in the day!
    All compsoc does these days is play CS and cause crap with the Admins

youre right

a few ideas for compsoc

it would be better if we had a mixture of games to play rather the counter strike all the time no matter how much you like the game it has to get boring ffs

ban counterstirke :D:D

we could play Empire Earth (RTS)

Unreal tournament

a multiplayer poker game

C&C GENERALS

Warhammer.40000.Dawn.Of.War

i would love so much for compsoc to become something more than just playing games.. it reflects badly on us all... I mean, as an "off the cuff" example, what if ye were to start some kind of group project... like making a web based multiplayer poker game? Most of the libraries are already in place, it would just be a matter of tying them all together..

Although saying all that, DoW is a fantastic game and i will serve up harsh justice i it's brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I made a networked game of cards in VB a while back. my mistake was puttin in a chat feature at the side. it turned out the card game was **** so just ended up droppin the cards and usin the chat program. :rolleyes:

might make a No Limits Texas Hold 'Em one if i can.

• Advertisement

i was looking into open source solutions as to host a full poker server... nothing is fully implemented yet... how and ever there are alot of poker classes made.. a particularly good one in php.. has all the logic.

Poker.php

All one would have to do is write up a session system for users/ have a db backend to handle money and do up a nice frontend...

compsoc is only popular because of counter strike, which is a good thing, constantly playing the same game is a bad thing, players with a lot of experience have all the fun, new players DIE, get annoyed with the computer, and quit.
    if compsoc goes ahead for 2 days a week this year, it might be a good idea to rule out counterstrike for one of those days, and play something more easier and more fun. i just realised counterstrike can be a very serious game, unlike for example quake3.

most of compsoc used to be computer students, since counterstrike started, all sorts of people from all sorts of courses have joined. their interests are purely fun gaming interests. i think things are the way they are at the moment for a reason ( compsoc being purely for games and netsoc being for more advanced computer interests ). Most people dont even care about how the game or a server is setup, all they want to do is sit down and play.

the main thing this year would be to get back the old members, and new members ( unfortunately using counterstrike as advertisement ). then to show them there's more to computer games than counterstrike

( yes i do hate counterstrike )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

stevenk wrote:
    the main thing this year would be to get back the old members, and new members ( unfortunately using counterstrike as advertisement ). then to show them there's more to computer games than counterstrike

( yes i do hate counterstrike )
    What? Have 4 lappies in the hall, all playing CS, and letting people have goes? Then someone getting the semi-automatic sniper rifle and picking off the n00bs?

As for more games, are ye still playing Broodwars? I plan to be back (to repeat one module) next year (Summer 06 to Christmas 06), sometime.

the_syco wrote:
    What? Have 4 lappies in the hall, all playing CS, and letting people have goes? Then someone getting the semi-automatic sniper rifle and picking off the n00bs?

what exactly does that mean??

i "THINK" he means on clubs and socs day.. although who knows for certain..

what? snipe all newbs on clubs and socs day? well done!! great idea!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

Hey I'm a newb at the college but there'll be no kicking of my ass. I played CS religiously for two years at DIT Kevin Street. Where do I join up? When is Clubs & Societies day?

few weeks into the term as i recall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

stevenk wrote:
    what exactly does that mean??
    I meant the Clubs & Socs day. Last time (I was there), there was a game going, and people were shooting each other. One of the new users was using a pistol every time, so I showed them how to buy a better gun. They liked the better gun. Esp the sniper scope on it.

or if you cant wait, call up to the third floor of the library on a monday or wednesday evening, follow the noise to compsoc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 4r(4ng3L

hey, im starting on monday. Do u guys play counter strike source cos dats so much better. Not that i mind the origional but i wud kick ALL ur ass's on the source version!!! is that the computer society u guys b talkn bout r is it just a games group tingy?? either way i really wana join

compsoc is purely games, hopefully it wont be counter strike only, there are other games out there!!!
    cs source is played, and preferred :D

well then il have to kick ur ass on source so :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

stevenk wrote:
    compsoc is purely games, hopefully it wont be counter strike only, there are other games out there!!!
    cs source is played, and preferred :D

and once again talk of play cs:source has attracted new blood!
    Nice One Steven :p

i also like your idea of one day dedicated to cs (with other options for non-cs) while having other day purly dedicated to tryin out other games/things ie hl2 deathmatch ;) (as it seems up to me to introduce new games)

I was was the aformentioned Balkie too btw if it wasn't obvoius having had my 2yrs expierence of compsoc while taking note of steves Great (!) leadership paving the way forward etc..

haha i have a few suggestions!
    for advertisement of compsoc on clubs and socs day, they will only give you two tables, get projectors!!!! project the carnage onto the wall. last year there was a wall of people looking at the laptops, kinda too crowded and i dont think everyone got to see what was going on ( missed out on signups ), so get projectors!
    new blood and new games will hopefully happen, it does every year.
    just thinking about it, those CS FREAKS will probably skip the day you dont play CS, so maybe half and half throughout the night? wait and see whats happens type of thing.

get more cartoons running on the projector?? im sure we can pollute a few peoples minds with some southpark/family guy/robot chicken

Did you guys ever think of playing Mechwarrior for any of these nights. The game is just as good as CSS (well almost!) and i havnt met a single person who doesnt like playing it...

you havnt me yet :P

haha sorry, bring it in, see if it works, see if it catches on.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

i can get ye the lend of a projecter for the day, not the best projector in the world but it works fine.

or you could just lift some from some of the lecture rooms.... *cough*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Well it seems that we have a lot to do this year to keep everyone happy. I will be president of compsoc this year and I hope to get things back to the way they used to be. The reason compsoc fell apart is because Stephen and Kurtis were in their final year and could not put in the time to keep Compsoc running. So we had people taking over our humble little room with that narrow minded over rated game, CSS.

The problem is that we are very limited to the games we can play is because of the drivers. We can't get direct X or open GL due to restrictions. Good news though, we can play Day of defeat pretty soon as its due for release, and team fortress, when valve finally finishes it, as there both source engine games they should run, technically speaking.

Compsoc is gaming, if you are interested in technical mumbo jumbo then join netsoc. About 80% of our members have no other interest other than games, hence why they are in compsoc. Of course if you are interested in something like building a computer we can go through it with you. But we will focus mainly on games.

The games that we can play at the moment are: CSS, Unreal, Quake3. We also have some RTS's but we tend to stay clear of these as they can be very long games and once you are out you have to wait for the game to end... Not really fair now is it?

We intend to draw up some rules, any input is appreciated, but we intend to follow through on those rules. We have to keep the tech guys happy this year because they can cause us a lot of trouble, we need those drivers or we'll never get any decent games.

Also we're planning to get in another projector and get some 8 player xbox games going. We have 2 xboxes and some games, we just need some interest. You can bring in your own games or whatever. There will also be some tournaments going.

We will post here and let you know what is happening, we are meeting with the tech guys on monday. Anymore ideas or suggestions are more than welcome...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement