Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long to walk from Parnell Square to Harcourt st garda station?

• 04-09-2005 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭

I have just started a new job in dublin in a place just beside Harcourt St garda station. I think the walk would take about twenty mins or do i need more time or can i get a bus and would that be quicker? I am coming from the wax museum on Parnell square.

thanks Everyone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

I' say at tops 20 mins.. dependws on how quick you walk.. but should be bout 15 if your quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

The www.dto.ie site says:
    To: Hatch Street Upper, City Centre South, Dublin
    Distance: 2.675 km
    Time: 32 minutes
    Journey Directions
    Tip for Pedestrians: Make use of available walking facilities e.g. footpaths, zebra crossings etc.

1 Depart On Granby Row for 59(m)
    2 Continue Straight On Parnell Square West for 257(m)
    3 Turn Left Onto Parnell Street for 19(m)
    4 Turn Right Onto Moore Lane for 207(m)
    5 Bear Left Onto Henry Place for 104(m)
    6 Bear Left Onto Henry Street for 33(m)
    7 Turn Right Onto Oconnell Street for 326(m)
    8 Continue Straight On Westmoreland Street for 231(m)
    9 Continue Straight On College Green for 43(m)
    10 Bear Left Onto Grafton Street for 152(m)
    11 Turn Sharp Right Onto Suffolk Street for 17(m)
    12 Turn Left Onto Grafton Street for 392(m)
    13 Turn Right Onto Saint Stephens Green West for 282(m)
    14 Continue Straight On Harcourt Street for 406(m)
    15 Turn Left Onto Hatch Street Upper for 146(m)
    16 Arrive at Destination On Hatch Street Upper for 0(m)

I'd allow forty if it's a case of having to be in work on time.
    Actually, I would get a bus if there was one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

A bus? It's well within walking distance!! A good 2.6K walk will keep you aerobically fit. I do 3K every day. Though a bus would be useful for wet days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I'd say 20-25mns depending on how fast you walk. Bus 14/14a/48a go from Parnell Sq East to Adelaide road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

http://www.sueandpaul.com/gmapPedometer/ lets you use Google Maps (Dublin) to measure the distance between any two points via an arbitary route you plot - handy for comparing which of several routes is fastest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

You might also try Dorset St-Bolton St-King's Inns St-Parnell St-Jervis St-Millenium Bridge-Eustace St-George's St-Aungier St-Wexford St-Camden St-Camden Place-little archway into Harcourt St-Hatch St. (or possibly Camden St.-Charlotte Way (Bleeding Horse)-Hatch St.)

It looks a little odder on the map but there is generally less congestion on the pavements. The pedestrian lights at College Green and O'Connell Bridge can be a real pain. The lights on the above route can be a bit more pedestrian friendly.

Put it this way if I was cycling from the Wax Museum to Hatch Street, that's the way I'd go (though I'd go Capel Street-Parliament St-Dame St-Palace St-Dame Lane-George's St because Jervis St. is one-way and there's no right turn into George's St).

It's worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

em well i'm pretty sure it can be done in 20...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

Tenshot wrote:
    http://www.sueandpaul.com/gmapPedometer/ lets you use Google Maps (Dublin) to measure the distance between any two points via an arbitary route you plot - handy for comparing which of several routes is fastest.
    That's a great link, Tenshot, though I'm afraid I didn't see it until I had written my previous post. And thanks to you, I've been able to measure the route I suggested above. Jcn Granby Row/Dorset St to jcn Hatch/Harcourt comes in at 2.63 km, but you'd have to allow for some error. I'm sure the DTO one is measured more accurately.

Good luck in the new job, Apeking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Thanks for all the replys, i dont like the sound of a 30 hr walk at 7.30 in morning!! Would the bus jus take as long? I have to be in for 8 which is a bit of a pain in ass, so i'd prob need to be at bus stop for 7.30 jus to make sure i get up there on time too.

Some great sites, tried http://www.sueandpaul.com/gmapPedometer/ and i got the ddistance to be 1.5miles which would take about 25min as said.

thanks for all the replies.

btw the dto website says walk down moore lane, now i dont think that is such a great idea if i want to keep my wallet :) Thanks for the info though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Bicycle would be the best bet really, if there was somewhere for you to lock it over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The bus shouldn't take more than 10 minutes as long as O'Connell street isn't blocked up. With the roadworks it can be very slow going southbound in the evenings, I think it is pretty clear at 7.30-8.00 in the morning but I am not sure.

there are buses at 7.30 (14A), 7.35 (14), 7.40 (48A) and 7.50 (14A). The 48A goes via Merrion Square so it would be a bit slower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Takes 20-25mins, walked it recently

Advertisement