Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbours extending-afriad of damage to our place....

• 04-09-2005 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭

Our neighbours are going to get an extension and shed built and are going to move out of their place for 2 months while it's done(it's a big job) Our houses must be hitting 100 yrs now and usually if you try to do a simple job it opens up a can of worms :rolleyes: Basically we're a bit worried about the potential damage to our property and also the security risk as they're going to knock down their back wall for access - which could potentially damage our back wall, fense, shed and the party wall. I know it sounds a bit alarmist but they always seem to get cowboys in - when they got their house painted our drive was wrecked with paint and when they got a driveway they damaged our railings and the posts for our new gates and the guy went bezerk when we asked him to sort it. Can we get them to agree to repair any damage that might be caused before they start - maybe by getting a solicitor to draw something up? Also there's no planning permission app on display...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

afaik It is now a legal requirement for the planning notice to be displayed for a period of time before the permission is even granted.Have they spoken to you about thier plans or have they told you when the work is commencing?
    If you have these concerns you can object to the planning permission. If the planning has already been approved you can object on the grounds that the notice has not been displayed.....
    I think the first course of action is to discuss this with your neighbours....Remember when all this is over you still have to live beside these people..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

They are legally obliged to put up a site commencement notice, and they must inform the Council when they start the job. It's your house, your investment, don't take the crap. Get on to the council immediately and get them on the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

It is possible the extension is exempt from planning permission that would mean there is no need for a sign or commencement notice.

Did you tell your neighbour about your driveway, railings and gate post ? they have the power to hold the contractors payment until he makes good any damage to your home.

Should you have a neighbour who doesn't care about other peoples property then it might be a good idea to take lots of photographs of your home and the party wall / fence before the work starts.

Do not depend on a digital camera as the images are not accepted in court because they can be modified, you could try a disposable if you don't own a standard camera.

As they are moving out for two months I expect they will be relying on both the contractor and their neighbours for security, so now may be a good time to approach them and offer your neighbourly help while finding out what arrangements are being made to protect your home.

Regarding planning permission, a call to your local authority or maybe you can check online if permission was applied for, if it was then then the rules should be followed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

rooferPete wrote:

Do not depend on a digital camera as the images are not accepted in court because they can be modified, you could try a disposable if you don't own a standard camera.

Absolutely not true. Digital images are acceptable in court. I have this first hand from a forensic scientist who uses digital photography for all his work, and has used it in Court.

Standard photographic images can be manipulated too, by the way. A little more diffilcul, but possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks guys! I'll take a load of photos just in case. It's actually my parents place and the guy just told my dad in passing he's getting work done. The guy is not very friendly and flipped out at my dad when he pointed out previous damage - thats why I'm thinking of solicitors etc so my parents have back up if they need it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

from my own experience - don't let the builders do ANYTHING on your property.

Do not let them put foundations onto your property (past the boundary)
    as it could cause problems later - if you were to build on.

The builder also needs written permission to do anything on your side of the boundary.

Advertisement