Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor... Charging abroad

Options
  • 04-09-2005 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I´m not sure if this is in the right section, Sorry if its not.
    I´m on holidays at the mo and I´ve got a query. I phoned up meteor before I went away to see if I could use my phone and all went well. 1euro a min for a call and 50c for a txt. Nothing to recieve a txt. I wasnt informed about picture messages though. So I send a few pic msgs the other day and after every txt I would sent I would check my balance. Every time I sent a txt it would take off the 50c but when I send a pic msg it would not take anything. I send a good few messages 10 at the minimum and recieve the same, it could have even been 25..30pic msgs.
    Everytime I checked my balance and all was fine. I checked it this morning and it was overdue €70.21.

Have I got any comeback on this.
    I am prepaid so I cant see how they can charge me more than I top up, well thats the way I´m looking at it.

Thanks for any input on this.
    I´ll part extra hard for the next week to spite meteor :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

It can take up to 3 days for charges to be put onto your account while roaming so checking your balance after each call/texts/pic message doesn't really work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

dont Meteor look for a 60 euro deposit from you before you can use your phone abroad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭rondjon

Sending picture messages isn't done in the same way as sending regular text messages.

When you're sending a picture message, you're actually opening up a data connection to send the picture.

So, if you're abroad, you're getting that extra cost. And if the roaming network isn't up to it, you could have been on for a long time while the connection was being made, and the picture delivered.

It's the same when receiving picture messages - you need to open up the data connection to get the picture down to your phone.

Hence the increased costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Obviously you dont have to pay it and just switch providers and keep your number. You can always go back to them again if you like.. since you are not bill pay and have no contract then you dont need to do anything strange..

Although dont you have to register your credit card with them before roaming? Maybe for this very reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Hey, Thanks for the replies.
    No, for spain you dont have to register your ccard or even top up with the usual €60 and give a few wks notice. I dont want to change company as I´ve been with then for a few years and I also have the free txts which isnt around any more. I just cant see how a ´prepaid´service can just keep charging you over your balance... It sort of defeats the purpose.

Thanks again for the replies

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

meteor + roaming = bad/trouble/heartbreak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Mileages may vary but last year on the three occasions herself went abroad they failed to setup roaming. In fact on the last occasion they ended up refunding me the 40 euro it cost to ring them from France on my phone to arrange roaming. We even got the "you didn't give a weeks notice" line. To which we replied - you're right we gave ten days. Supervisors were non-existant. For herself it was the last straw and she moved to Vodafone after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

I never bring my phone abroad - even when on business. Hell - what can you do about something when your 1000+ miles away. And its a damn holiday too - leave the phone at home and enjoy the freedom - if there's an emergency they can ring the hotel.

Welp I phoned Meteor there two days ago and asked to talk to a supervisor straight away. The guy tried to help me in which kept me on the phone for about 20 mins keep telling me that he could see my bill and that I would have to pay this. So I refered to my first few words "Could I please talk to a supervisor?"

So 10mins later on hold I have a supervisor and she sorts it out within 4/5mins.
    Good awl Meteor :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭robo

kjt wrote:
    Welp I phoned Meteor there two days ago and asked to talk to a supervisor straight away. The guy tried to help me in which kept me on the phone for about 20 mins keep telling me that he could see my bill and that I would have to pay this. So I refered to my first few words "Could I please talk to a supervisor?"

So 10mins later on hold I have a supervisor and she sorts it out within 4/5mins.
    Good awl Meteor :)

So do you have to pay for the picture messages?

robo wrote:
    So do you have to pay for the picture messages?

No, I didnt have to pay a cent.
    As I was saying to them, I should'nt have to pay as it should cut me off at .00c but it didnt. If I was on proper paying the €60 type of roaming I'm sure I would have had to. In the UK and Spain though you dont even have to let them know your leaving the country.

:) I'm happy.

Advertisement