Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water-level deck for Liffey boardwalk?

Options
  • 04-09-2005 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

There's been an extra piece of boardwalk floating on the river at Bachelors walk for a while. I noticed today there's a ramp from the main boardwalk down to it, and it has railings on all sides.

It's still being worked on but is my assumption correct that it will be a water-level extension of the boardwalk?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Goody, there's nothing like having rats swim about your ankles, lol. What happens when it rains? Will it just float up with the water level?

I guess it's nice, or would be if the river wasn't the most disgusting waterway known to man. I don't know how people swim in that thing... I'm sure you can get hepatitis or somethin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

DaveMcG wrote:
    I don't know how people swim in that thing... I'm sure you can get hepatitis or somethin!
    You can indeed. As well as ALOT worse ...

We're told before each and every Liffey Swim, if you've any open wounds, just don't do it.
    And tbh, I agree. It's bad enough having it in your mouth, (it taste VILE ...), let alone allowing it direct access to your bloodstream.

Anyway, back on topic - if it is a floating extension, I like the idea. But what I'd like even more, would be if the existing walkway was policed so that no more knackers/druggies/drunks are making it their new home - 24-7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Sarsfield wrote:
    There's been an extra piece of boardwalk floating on the river at Bachelors walk for a while. I noticed today there's a ramp from the main boardwalk down to it, and it has railings on all sides.

It's still being worked on but is my assumption correct that it will be a water-level extension of the boardwalk?

I'm pretty sure it's a platform for that new water taxi, 'the spirit of the docklands'.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

zoro wrote:
    Anyway, back on topic - if it is a floating extension, I like the idea. But what I'd like even more, would be if the existing walkway was policed so that no more knackers/druggies/drunks are making it their new home - 24-7
    Darwin process: kill the knackers/druggies by letting them too close to the water...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

cashback wrote:
    I'm pretty sure it's a platform for that new water taxi, 'the spirit of the docklands'.

Never thought of that. I'd asked about the 'Spirit of Docklands' here but without reponse. Do you know more about it cashback?

I can see the new deck being a popular late night drinking & diving & drowning spot! I don't know how it might be securely closed off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

maybe its for maintenance crews or it could be a sleeping raft that will be tied up under a bridge...one way of keeping the outside sleepers out of sight from tourists.... :)

off topic...anyone remember the saturday night a while back when 2 chinese guys decided to take a swim....one pretended that he drowned...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Sarsfield wrote:
    Never thought of that. I'd asked about the 'Spirit of Docklands' here but without reponse. Do you know more about it cashback?

I can see the new deck being a popular late night drinking & diving & drowning spot! I don't know how it might be securely closed off.

Read something about it in the Herald last week. Apparently the water taxi runs from there down as far as the point or maybe further.
    It's more aimed for tourists I think. Costs €11 for adults!
    Apparently people complaining that tourists will see nothing from the Liffey. They probably have a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭PaulDoh

Sarsfield wrote:

It has a little teeny tiny gate closing it off. That's sure to stop your drinkers/divers/drowners. :rolleyes:

Advertisement