Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what do the french think about wednesday

• 04-09-2005 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭

Ok so I came up with idea today I was going to search french newspapers online to see how the french felt ahead of wednesday, my french is little or none but the wife is pretty handy at it, however couldnt find anything, so does anyone know what the french John Giles would be thinking, not looking for your opinion of what they may be thinking, want to know what the actual french feelings are ahead of le match.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I live in France. My French isn't great but I get the gist. They seem to think they will win a tough match.
    But its has to be said - THE MATCH IS FREE ON FRENCH TV.

Shame on the FAI. Shame, shame, shame.
    Judas is alive and well and living in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

They thought Ireland were going to win the group and it was between them and the swiss for second.

Since the return of the 3 musketeers, and the performance of Zidane in the Ivory coast match (i dunno about since the faroes game, as i read this before that match) they think the Irish game will be the decider for first and second, but a bit of French arrogance has come through, and the press are confident they will win all their remaining matches. (although they're very clear about the fact that Ireland are their biggest rivals and that we threw away the group which leaves it open for them to take it.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Hagar wrote:

Shame on the FAI. Shame, shame, shame.
    Judas is alive and well and living in Ireland.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/features/socceronrtetwo.html

eh, it's on RTE TWO @ 7.00pm... like all WC Qualifiers.
    It's only the friendlies I think we dont have.... TV3 get delayed coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Hagar wrote:

Not free.
    Only available to terrestrial viewers which is no use unless you live in France.

TF1 which is encryped with Viaccess2 or Secam on satellite.

RTE are similarly setup. Unless you live in Ireland you cannot get it.

rest assured, SKY wouldn't be selling the game if people could get it free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

lets stay on track here lads, match is on rte, Sky debate is for another forum....ok the big question?? what do you think, will we beat them, personally i think we will win or draw, cant see us losing.

• Advertisement

I think we will get done.
    Kilbane worries me.
    If we do go one up, good chance Kerr will blow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

does anyone have links to newspaper articles in the french media in english ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

My own french isn't what it once was, but Henry believes they can win the game, but it's not necessary to win to also qualify. Sounds like he's confident they'll beat the Swiss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

i think we'll do ok, i doubt we'll win tho. Kerr has a nasty habit of sitting on leads, and with our defense not being exactly watertight the french will score against us if we sit back.

if we go at them from the start and don't sit back, then we can win it, but i can't see Kerr approaching the game that way.

the optimism on this forum is not shared by Paddy Power.

5/2 Ireland to win

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Here's a link in French. Couldn't find anything in English.

This is it translated into pidgeon English by Babel Fish

By AXEL CAPRON
    De Sports.fr

The displacement of the team from France Wednesday in Dublin for a decisive match of the eliminating heats of the World cup 2006 will be the occasion for Patrick Vieira to find that of which it will not cross any more the road in First League, Roy Keane. Between the ex-captain of Arsenal and that who always carries the arm-band of Manchester United, the relations particularly tumultuous, but also were always impressed of a certain respect. There is no doubt that the new episode of their duel is announced like one of the major elements of this capital Eire-France.

Keane and Vieira find Wednesday. They were not going to be left like that! The transfer this summer of Patrick Vieira d' Arsenal to Juventus of Turin had to make unhappy in England: by thus losing its "better enemy", Roy Keane was found a little orphan, him which will not have any more the occasion to rub with the ex-captain emblematic of Gunners. Because for several seasons, the competition between Arsenal and Manchester United have doubled of competition at least such a strong between the two captains with as well on the ground as apart from the rows, even of the physical confrontations which made the delight of the English popular press.

Last season thus gave place to new tumultuous episodes of the Vieira-Keane serial: if the first missed sad Manchester-Arsenal of the outward journey with this penalty missed by Van Nistelrooy taken at once with part by several Gunners (what was going to be worth suspensions with some), it showed with the return to the "height" meeting again, being caught some violently in the driving tunnel with the lawn of Highbury with Gary Neville. What caused the immediate reaction of Roy Keane for a verbal dispute between the two captains who failed to degenerate into physical confrontation.

After the match gained 4-2 by Red Devils, Patrick Vieira made besides amends honourable, explaining to have included/understood the attitude of Roy Keane: "It reacted as I would have reacted if somebody had come to speak with one from the players about Arsenal, I was not surprised whole, it had a reaction of captain, leader." Favour Keane over this blow...

Vieira: "One of the players whom I admire" One takes the same ones and one starts again a few weeks later with, before the final of Cup between the two teams, a verbal tournament caused by Roy Keane. This last was indeed allowed to sharply criticize its rival, culprit in his eyes to have betrayed its native land, Senegal, while choosing to defend the colors of the team of France. Immediate response of the French: "He does not know my past and I do not accept that he comments on it, because he is not in position of saying things like that. For somebody who gave up his team during the World cup, it should be made the remark with itself." And side! There Patrick Vieira referred to the beginning of Roy Keane of the Irish selection little before the World cup 2002. On the ground, Arsenal took its revenge, carrying it with the shootings with the goal with an ultimate penalty succeeded by... Vieira. 1-1, ball in the center.

Since, Vieira thus left First League, but like the chance makes well the things, the two men will find Wednesday evening on the lawn of Lansdowne Road at the time of this capital Eire-France. There is no doubt that this duel will make once again sparks, even if Patrick Vieira seems to be assagi, as it recently explained it to the English press: "You learn much from your errors and of course, I made some these last years. But the fact of being a captain gives me more responsibilities and the way in which I behave is important. This is why I pay more attention to my reactions on the ground, I am slackened more."

Even if he is not a any more captain in blue, the player of Juve knows too the importance of this match for the future of Blue not to fall into the trap that will not fail to tighten Roy Keane to him which, in spite of the heavy liability which exists between them, inspires much respect to him. "It is one of the players whom I admire because it has this trick moreover, this trick which enables him to carry out its team, explains he. When I arrived to England, it was the player against whom I wanted to play because it is one of best at this station. I have much respect for him."

Patrick Vieira thus knows that to neutralize the team of Ireland, it will also have to neutralize Roy Keane. "the true hinged plate and heart of this nation, it is Roy Keane. It is the important player of their device. Between us two, there always were face-to-face discussions under tension but with correction. That can be one of the duels of the match, but not only." Not only, certainly, but on its exit mainly that will undoubtedly depend on the match between Eire and the Blue ones.

Whoops about the TV coverage. The FAI are still wasters anyway IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Sky were saying this morning that Duff is a fitness doubt with a knee injury :confused:

edit, just read the news on Duff in the other thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

The french are probably feeling quite confident of beating the irish on Wednesday. This could be an advantage for us. Hopefully we can make life really difficult for them and exploite Boumsongs current poor form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

My girlfriend is French. I've asked all her French friends (both Paris and countryside) what they think of the match.

None of them even knew there was a match...

Apparantly Soccer is not very popular in France (Rugby is #1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

dublindude wrote:

Apparantly Soccer is not very popular in France (Rugby is #1)
    `
    I presume that its very much where you live/are from to do with if you mainly follow soccer or Rugby in France .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I found this article: http://www.canada.com/sports/soccer/story.html?id=101ffc2a-cfae-4388-acf2-433fbd1cb3fd
    Little optimism as France heads into World Cup qualifying crunch match

PARIS (AP) - Three wins in a row, eight goals scored, unbeaten in an over a year - and Zinedine Zidane and Lilian Thuram are back on the French national team.

Yet, the French media is showing little enthusiasm ahead of the crucial match in Ireland and defender Willy Sagnol is criticizing his teammates.

France is involved in a three-way tie with Ireland and Switzerland in Group 4. All have 13 points with three matches remaining and fourth-place Israel a point behind. The top side is guaranteed automatic qualification and the runner-up will go into the playoffs while the other two go out.

A win at Lansdowne Road on Wednesday will considerably strengthen the chances of Raymond Domenech's team to reach the 2006 World Cup.

Yet the media's tone is one of caution with Monday's edition of sports daily L'Equipe focusing more on injuries to Thuram and Djibril Cisse than the team's new-found strength.

"Thuram is cursed," read one headline. "What team now for Dublin?" read another.

Daily Le Parisien sounded out a clear warning: "Be careful, now the serious business starts."

L'Equipe said: "A debate without end," focusing on how France has sometimes struggled to qualify for major competitions - notably the 1982 World Cup and Euro 2000. Yet France reached the semifinals in '82 and won in 2000.

Despite Saturday's 3-0 victory over the Faeroe Islands, Sagnol launched a scathing attack on his teammates.

"We tried to be show offs," L'Equipe quoted Sagnol as saying. "We were not there to entertain, but to prepare for Wednesday."

Sagnol mentioned deep flaws in the defence, even though France has conceded only one goal in qualifying - against Israel with the team reduced to 10 men.

"We forgot the basics. If we forget them even for two minutes in Ireland it will be fatal," the defender said. "We have a lack of cohesion in defence. We are not able to find the right rhythm."

Thuram's thigh injury is a major concern for Domenech, while Cisse - scorer of two goals against Faeroe Islands - twisted his right ankle.

The French media has been crying out for greater attacking flair and panache after a dismal run of seven draws in nine matches and only seven goals scored.

Domenech has gone some way to achieving this with three wins: 2-1 vs. Hungary, 3-0 vs. Ivory Coast and 3-0 vs. Faeroe Islands.

But each game was played at home against modest opposition.

Only victory in Ireland will convince skeptics that France - with or without Zidane - has improved since its lacklustre exit from Euro 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

well, i'm french. so, what the french think is that we have to to win more 3 matchs to be qualified.
    ireland is one of them.
    it's no question for us to keep what it has been the wierd characteristics of the group 4. i mean those damned draws.
    we feel more confident since zidane, thuram and makelele are back but still not absolutly satisfied of our prestation (willy sagnol made a comment about it).
    so, it might be clear. we will not go in ireland with an arrogant attitude because we proved nothing until now. we respect a lot the irish squad.
    we talk also a lot about roy keane.

to put it shortly we have to win this match because we want to be master of our qualief and not expect the opponent squads to do it for us.

i just heard thierry henry in interview in french tv.
    he said that we should stop to talk about roy keane as a bad guy which give a lot of bad kick. he said that above all, roy keane is an excellent player. that irish team is an excellent squad and don't play long balls like some medias say.
    he said that french squad will go there without pressure because they have the use to play hard squads in enthousiasmic stadium (turkey for example).
    he also said that the key of the match will be an mistake in defense. he hopes that this mistake will not be in the french side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

lili wrote:
    he also said that the key of the match will be an mistake in defense. he hopes that this mistake will not be in the french side.

You know it probably will be a stupid mistake by a defender rather then someones individual brilliance that wins this match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

French mates are generally smug and expectant of a win, they have Zizou etc: and tbh them the bookies and the entire footballing world expect a comfortable win.

They are better than us in every position on the park, i be happy with a draw.

kdjac

• Advertisement

I agree with this voice of reason.
    Hope we can beat them just as we did Holland 4 years ago but not confident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

we havnt really had a spirited fighting performance under kerr yet, we'll need one tomoeeow night. anyone else gettin a bit nervous?? ;)

VinnyL wrote:
    anyone else gettin a bit nervous?? ;)

Terrified :D

We cant outplay them onyl way to outfight them is Kavangh and Keane in CM , to win it Duff needs a good game somfin we havent seen for a while in competitive games for ireland.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

KdjaC wrote:
    to win it Duff needs a good game somfin we havent seen for a while in competitive games for ireland.
    I think its just the standards he has set but I thought he has played well for us in most games this campaign. Away games he seems to be a lot more conservative. Anyway, 5 assists can't be bad. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Ronan

VinnyL wrote:
    anyone else gettin a bit nervous?? ;)

I'll definitley be wearing the huggies training pants tomorrow :)

I do think the French might be getting a bit cocky and a good start by us could dent their confidence, cause as we know they can drop their heads easily if things aren't going their way. So, here's hoping Henry gets stuck out on the left and we have a game like the Dutch match in 2002.

any word on any sort of expected team??

VinnyL wrote:
    any word on any sort of expected team??
    I'd be shocked if it wasn't:

Given
    Finnan--Cunningham--O'Brien--O'Shea
    Reid---Kilbane---Keane---Duff
    Keane---Morrison

if any of ye want to talk to the french fans, in english check here:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47

they are VERY worried about us so they are, calling it an "explosive away game" and all, they dont look very confident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

eirebhoy wrote:
    Given
    Keane---Morrison

You and I have gone for the same players except in one position. I would have Kilbane on the right side of midfield with Holland (if fit enough) and Roy in the centre. But the question is, can a Finnan/Klbane or indeed a Finnan/A.Reid combination keep Henry under wraps? If Kerr thinks France will play Wiltord as well he will have to keep O'Shea for left back. I think the right midfield position is key, and I think Andy Reid is just not good enough in his defending capabilities to play that role.

redspider

• Advertisement

but redspider, finnan doesnt go forward at all compared to someone like carr, so reid will be well covered on the flank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Oh please no redspider, not Holland, I'd pick Kavanagh ahead of him anyday, Kavanagh would get at the french and disrupt them, IMO with Holland, Kilbane or Kavanagh we lack creativity in the middle so my gameplan would be to play Kavanagh alongside Roy let Kavanagh get stuck in then let Roy get the ball out to Duffer and Reid and the wings and whip in crosss after cross as the French looked very bad in the air against the Faroe's.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is Trézeguet available for tomorrow? If so, will he be picked? Henry was rubbish against the Faroes, and Cissé scored to all intents and purposes a hat-trick.
    I'll have to head down the pub to see this as it's not available on terrestrial TV here, hopefully not to see a beating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I believe Trez is banned and Cisse has an ankle injury but will probably be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

eirebhoy wrote:

Given
    Keane---Morrison

Agree with this to start i think. Im kinda worried about Kilbane being out of his depth in midfield though. I know he did ok in the first france game, but that was against kids. I guess we're really lacking options in the middle if we dont play him though. Being a workhorse is all well and good but could see Vieira and ZiZou making a fool of him leaving him chasing shadows. Im happy with everything else, and i guess if he is having trouble we could push O'Shea up to mid and bring in Harte who has actully been ok for ireland since return (imo) and has impressed me in spain whenever iv seen him. What are our other realistic midield options? Are Carsley or Holland fit yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

Carsley is "Retired from International Football" Theres no doubt in my mind Kilbane will play. Kerr has a lot of confidence in him (he even made him captain for a friendly).

• Advertisement

evilhomer wrote:
    You know it probably will be a stupid mistake by a defender rather then someones individual brilliance that wins this match.

i think he meant that the both squad are top level and the first who will make a mistake will be in dangerous position.

by the way, talking about brilliance and panache, maybe titi will wake up, who knows?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

eirebhoy wrote:

Given
    Keane---Morrison
    Absolutely.

If we want to win the game, we need to play that team. If Robbie Keane and Duff can win a high amount of free kicks around the box, i fancy maybe Reid to score one.

the french reckon on that message boards that they'll only score from a set piece....

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

I reckon Roy Keane could nick one for us, he's not scored for Kerr yet and he's due a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I reckon Roy Keane could nick one for us, he's not scored for Kerr yet and he's due a goal.

Well Paddy Power have a 1-0 win for us with Keane (Roy) scoring at 125-1

B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

A Zidane interview was shown on Sky News last night and he was saying "we will have to be careful as the Irish have a lot of pace..."

...where Zizou, where?! Goes to show it might not be just the manger who doesn't put a lot of effort into scouting the opposition, which could be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

BaZmO* wrote:
    Well Paddy Power have a 1-0 win for us with Keane (Roy) scoring at 125-1

B.

That's worth a tenner! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

odds are kind of against Ireland but not that has stopped us ever.

Robbie Keane 6 - 1 last to score might be worth a few €€€.

redspider wrote:
    think the right midfield position is key, and I think Andy Reid is just not good enough in his defending capabilities to play that role.
    Taken from the Times:

Usual pre-match platitudes out of the way, Reid turned joker. Asked if he was relishing the renewal of hostilities with William Gallas, the France defender who was in the Chelsea team that won 2-0 at White Hart Lane ten days ago, Reid replied: “I can’t remember if Gallas played even, I was too busy chasing Shaun Wright-Phillips all over the place.”

It won't be long before the defensive side of his game will be recognised as better than Duff's. It then won't be long before he's moved to the centre. ;)

VinnyL wrote:
    we havnt really had a spirited fighting performance under kerr yet, we'll need one tomoeeow night. anyone else gettin a bit nervous?? ;)

thinking the exact same.... especially where a spirited fighting victory is concerned.
    The match in France was spirited, but wont be remembered that well.
    I think tomorrow could be *that* game that we're due.
    Lets hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Kilbane has to play . O'Shea in the centre and Harte at left-back ? only if you want to be not only outclasses but also outworked in the centre and want to give the French all the space down the right-wing that they want .

I fancy Morrison to score (if either side does).

Robbie Keane to be spotted drinking a can of beer in the dugout during the match 500 - 1

Best bet of the day.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Robbie Keane to be spotted drinking a can of beer in the dugout during the match 500 - 1

Best bet of the day.

kdjac
    ROFL, I thought you were joking. :D

Robbie Keane to fall flat on his face during a goal celebration - Only 33/1. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I think the french are in for a surprise when they play us tomorrow, we have a great team, the french are not playing together that long, there seems to be a constant lack of comunication on the field between them, and, they really lack the spirit we have. We have the edge going into the game, after that its up to the lads to band together, think on the ball and fight for everything.

I cant see them beating us, I think its going to be about 2 - 1 to ireland. :cool: There will be a lot of yellow cards, and maybe a sending off but yes we will win.

i just have a feeling we're going to plan one of the best games I'm ever gonna see us play!
    This feeling has only happened in the past 3 days or so... beforehand, I though a draw would be a great result.
    But now.... I've even put money on us winning 3-1!
    (maybe its because I whipped a 6star French team in PES earlier :D)

• Advertisement
Advertisement