Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a film...

• 04-09-2005 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

... with no dialogue.

Basically I'm looking for something to watch that does have an actual intelligent storyline but that is all about what you see and hear throughout and where the mood is set almost exclusively by the musical score or OST rather than the 'acting'.

Now when I say 'no dialogue' it doesn't have to be THAT strict a guideline. Your suggestions can of course have SOME dialogue in them .. but essentially I'm looking for good movies that are not dependant on it. Stuff along the lines of 2001ASpaceOdyssey, TheGoodTheBadAndTheUgly, AmericanGrafitti is what I'm thinking about.

Hmm I don't know if I've described well enough what I'm looking for but I guess it's a start. Thanks and looking forward to your suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Once upon a time in the west ? Quality movie very diaogue probably one of the best westerns.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Not joking at all, but look older than that too... the original Nosferatu as a bad example.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

I was about to recommend The Good, the Bad and The Ugly, but you said it :)

Next for me would be:Vanishing Point
    It is an awesome movie, it is imo the greatest car-chase movie of all time. The storyline isn't all that intelligent, but the visual aspect and action are breathtaking.

If you liked Good Bad Ugly, i would immediately also recommend:High Plains Drifter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Baraka.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭_Turismo4

Probably saw it, but once upon a time in America is very good, should be able to rent it out.
    By far. Ten out of Ten.

Thats as hard one - I think For a Few Dollars more is the best western with little dialogue.
    If your talking about visuals and soundtrack combined
    conan is fantastic and also the Mission, but they both have lots of dialogue, brilliant dialogue though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Spielberg's debut Duel perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hana-bi, quite possibly Takeshi Kitano's best film, very stark minimalism when it comes to the dialogue, and he creates such deep characters. Absolute must see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Napoleon Dynamite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Stone age stuff so no dialogue, only grunting. :)
    Actually a brilliant film!
    Won an Oscar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Yeah, Dual would be perfect. Elephant is another good one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

"Come and see" (1985) or "Walkabout"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

D-FENS wrote:
    Seconded... marvellous film, scared the bejesus out of me when i saw it first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

try Metropolis (1927).
    silent movie with a great score. there are dialogue cards or whatever they're called, but not too many.
    it relies on stunning visuals and great scenes to carry the story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I'll have to second Metropolis and hana-bi

Make sure you get Metropolis with the original score. I used to have this tape of it with a really dodgy 80's electronic score. Absolute ****box.

and also the original Night of the Living Dead (1968)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Sgtshaft

Lawrence of Arabia just for the best introduction scene of any character
    in cinema history (Omar Sharif)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Throne Of Blood is quite an atmospheric film with little dialogue, if I recall correctly. I seem to remember Blade Runner as having fairly minimal dialogue also... But you should look no further than the Sergio Leone spagetthi westerns; chock-full of atmosphere, with really stirring musical scores. The only one that hasn't been mentioned yet is A Fistful Of Dollars.
    How about "Cast away" (sp)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Duel and Metropolis - Both excellent calls. Evil Dead 2 perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Quinnsey

How about:

The Shining
    Suspiria

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

Ah yes Shining is quality. Anything by Kubrick is quality, although he can be an acquired taste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

D-FENS wrote:

Excellent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Three Colours Blue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

assault on precinct thirteen - original.. extreamly funny, need to be in the mmod, maybe have a few beers... i dono.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Quinnsey

Assault on Precinct 13 is very dialogue driven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

3 iron,
    Id have to say Zatoichi is somewhat in this category too, well kinda heavy on the sounds.

Advertisement