Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro is Coming!

• 04-09-2005 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭

Have to say this looks very interesting, I know there's not much info given, but VoIP will be included in the base package, will start at €35 a month. http://www.digiweb.ie/broadband_metro_index.asp?i=80&zzz=bm . I would defo sign up if it was a reliable alternative to eircom. Am I right in thinking this is Wi-Max? What kind of range does this have?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭PlasmaFish

Well it will definitely be Wi-MAX much the same as IBB Ripwave and Clearwire work but second generation technology. So you should see coverage up to 15miles from a mast. Put this technology relies on you having at least 3 mast in coverage to have consistence connection. ISP’s will probably start offering it at 512kbs up to 2Mbps but the technology is capable of doing in the region of 54Mbps to 108Mbps!

This info is based on what the new Intel WiMAX chips will offer

This is like what Verizon Wireless in the US have Wireless broadband with the same coverage as you moblie phone well all most.
    see link
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/promotion/controller?promotionType=miniPac&action=miniStart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Digiweb are going to start with 3 to 6 meg. I emailed them for more info, i dont know how much they will be able to tell me, but hopefully at least we will get an idea of when it is to go live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I'm pretty sure that Ripwave is NOT wi-max. Can anyone verify that?

Ripwave-MX is the Wi-Max version, and IBB don't use that as far as i know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭PlasmaFish

The don't say it is but it is still an example of what WiMAX is based on.
    The only reason why Ripwave dose not work for IBB is that they don't offer enough speed and that they let it be used when people have little of no signal.

Let this thread not be a start of another IBB discussion..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Yeah no it aint but their rolling out full 802.11k WiMax schtuff soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

PlasmaFish wrote:
    Let this thread not be a start of another IBB discussion..
    Damn right, its just i didn't want WiMaxto be compared to IBB's ripwave, because they are different technologies, therefore perform differently. You can't draw comparisons between ripwave and WiMax(unless it really is the WiMax version of ripwave IBB use, but i really doubt that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

PlasmaFish wrote:
    Well it will definitely be Wi-MAX much the same as IBB Ripwave and Clearwire work but second generation technology. So you should see coverage up to 15miles from a mast. Put this technology relies on you having at least 3 mast in coverage to have consistence connection. ISP’s will probably start offering it at 512kbs up to 2Mbps but the technology is capable of doing in the region of 54Mbps to 108Mbps!

This info is based on what the new Intel WiMAX chips will offer

This is like what Verizon Wireless in the US have Wireless broadband with the same coverage as you moblie phone well all most.
    see link
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/promotion/controller?promotionType=miniPac&action=miniStart

Er, no, it's not Wi-Max. And it doesn't even go close to 54mbps according to their press release.

In fact the post below yours quoting 3-6mbps is also wrong unless their was a mistake in Digiweb's original press release about what it actually bought. The stuff Digiweb say they bought in their press release only does up to 3.2mbps burstable as far as I can see. I do plan on ringing them tomorrow though to find out.

See airspan.com for more details.

It clearly states that it will be available in speeds of 3 to 6 meg, if you'd bothered to click on the link.......... I'm sure it was mentioned here as well before but the content was removed by one of the mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

It looks interesting and pricing is not too bad considering you don't need an Eircom line. Have to see how it works in practice, of course...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

In their recent direct mailings to certain companies they state 3-10 Mbits on the literature .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

It will start off with 3mbits maybe and then continue to get better as time goes on, I imagine. Its seems pretty cool though, being able to get everything from tv to phone and broadband over your broadband connection. Just one bill to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

All i would like to know is what the upload speeds would be because
    3/3mbit would be right up my street. im already a digiweb customer
    so lets just see how long before this thing is up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

SkepticOne wrote:
    It looks interesting and pricing is not too bad considering you don't need an Eircom line. Have to see how it works in practice, of course...

Where did you see anything on the pricing or what is the pricing?

Blaster99 wrote:
    Where did you see anything on the pricing or what is the pricing?

Ya were did you see anything about the costs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

It clearly states that it will be available in speeds of 3 to 6 meg, if you'd bothered to click on the link.......... I'm sure it was mentioned here as well before but the content was removed by one of the mods.
    Yes, and I'm saying with the tech they claim to be using you will not see better than 4mbps in theory because that is the limitation of the device according to the manufacturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Have to say this looks very interesting, I know there's not much info given, but VoIP will be included in the base package, will start at €35 a month.

Maybe I'm wrong to assume the OP has made some enquiries to get the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Sorry, completely missed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I just called them and they advise full details available as of September 8th, that's Thursday to you and me...

Whatever the price of the product it'll most likely be less than current cost of eircom broadband and line rental and at the same time doing the same thing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You will get an 076 number for your VoIP more than likely . There may be a number porting agreement in place though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

is this stuff all line of sight ?

• Advertisement

As far as pricing goes i saw 35 being mentioned, could have been ex vat, not so sure. The prices were here briefly before, but as I said they were removed by a mod as digiweb hadn't offically released them!

On a not so important note, did anyone hear the ad for this on Today FM this morning, just after gift grub. It went something like Metro is coming, and listed out the counties it would be available in, but gave no info to suggest it was broadband, or anyway computer related, it didnt even mention digiweb, strange times we live in. At least that would suggest they're serious about marketing this, if they do this right it could be a very big break for digiweb. I'm going to give it a shot anyway, although I may stick with Blueface, they are one of the best companies around at the minute.

Unfortunately the only information disclosed at the moment is what is on the website. The expected launch date is Thursday.

Looks like Thursday it is then.
    From 3Mb to 6Mb download speeds
    Suitable for Home, Teleworker, Business and Education
    FREE Telephony & Multimedia Services
    No phone line required
    Available in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford, Dundalk
    Support multiple computers
    Pricing from €35 per month excl VAT

Sounds good 2 me :D:D:D:D

Can anyone say what we might expect from upload speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

I'm very, very excited by this :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Ripwave uses WiMax frequencies (sub 10Ghz...normally around 3.x Ghz) and is WiMax ready/capable or any other marketing fluff that manufacturers use to move boxes...but it is not Wimax as it stands today....(Ripwave can use a number of different frequencies BTW)

For info :- WiMax 802.16 rev 2004 and 802.16e etc are all WiMax standards but one is full mobility ( the "e" version) and the other is not...bit of a standards struggle going on with WiMax - rev 2004 stuff and e stuff may not be back compatible etc etc etc.....full WiMax with portability ( "e" standard) is 2007...standard rev 2004 will be realisitically 2006 - WiMax ready or Wimax capable is NOT WiMax - it's advertising....

I am in full and total support of WiMax BTW but like all things, proof of the pudding etc... :)

More here....
    http://www.intel.com/netcomms/columns/jimj105.htm

Upload speeds are more than 128, cant remember exactly, but I would put money on it that they are 128+, realisticly digiweb know they need to be. I've a funny feeling they're more than 512, dont know where I saw that so I won't get ye'r hopes up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

We all saw this type of package coming, its great that a company has stood up and provided it first before Esat, Eircom or NTL did especially considering the 3 have more funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

is metro wireless ?? if so, is it line of sight or not ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Upload speeds are more than 128, cant remember exactly, but I would put money on it that they are 128+, realisticly digiweb know they need to be. I've a funny feeling they're more than 512, dont know where I saw that so I won't get ye'r hopes up.

2Mb upload speeds were mentioned for the 6Mbit connection.

OOOh imagine it...6M/2M and you REALLY do get those speeds unlike the hit/miss of IBB!!!!

zuma wrote:
    2Mb upload speeds were mentioned for the 6Mbit connection.

OOOh imagine it...6M/2M and you REALLY do get those speeds unlike the hit/miss of IBB!!!!

Like what kinda price can we expect something like that?

jesus cant wait till thursday now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

ricey wrote:
    Like what kinda price can we expect something like that?

jesus cant wait till thursday now.

The 6m/2m info was posted a couple of days ago but was actually under a NDA and had to be deleted so I cant remember the price.
    I did take note of the high upload because it was beyond DSL!!!

Advertisement