Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro is Coming!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

azi wrote:
    <re: Possible Static IP's for all users>
    Oh, I hope something positive comes out of that. :) Right now, this appears to be the only deal breaker, I can see...

Tbh, the contention ratio of the basic package (42.35e per month) being 40:1 is off putting to me. If I wanted metro, I'd go for the 20:1 contention package, costing 108.90e per month. But then again, without a static IP, why bother?
    The only real benefit that metro have over other ISP's is that they provide a minimum 512k upload.

It's a major selling point in my eyes, as it's obvious from these boards that there are so many people who are just sick to the teeth with prehistoric upload speeds that cripple connections when being used for more than one thing.

Their contention ratio on the basic package, while being "normal" at 40:1, is a putter-offer for me, and the price of the second package, as well as the lack of a static ip is a terrible shame.

<rant, not only at metro, but at most ISPs>
    And for the LOVE OF ALL THINGS CUTE AND CUDDLY would you STOP quoting ex-Vat prices?! God Damn it I hated seeing that over in Canada, and it's becoming more and more popular over here too.

*fuming* Just tell us the price that we, as consumers, have to hand over to you, the ISP. The vast majority of consumers are 'normal' people, who do not get any VAT back from the govt.
    So stop advertising your prices like they're super cheap when they're not the actual price that we're being made pay. :mad:
    </rant>

Heya :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

zoro wrote:
    Tbh, the contention ratio of the basic package (42.35e per month) being 40:1 is off putting to me. If I wanted metro, I'd go for the 20:1 contention package, costing 108.90e per month. But then again, without a static IP, why bother?
    The only real benefit that metro have over other ISP's is that they provide a minimum 512k upload.

It's a major selling point in my eyes, as it's obvious from these boards that there are so many people who are just sick to the teeth with prehistoric upload speeds that cripple connections when being used for more than one thing.

Their contention ratio on the basic package, while being "normal" at 40:1, is a putter-offer for me, and the price of the second package, as well as the lack of a static ip is a terrible shame.

<rant, not only at metro, but at most ISPs>
    And for the LOVE OF ALL THINGS CUTE AND CUDDLY would you STOP quoting ex-Vat prices?! God Damn it I hated seeing that over in Canada, and it's becoming more and more popular over here too.

*fuming* Just tell us the price that we, as consumers, have to hand over to you, the ISP. The vast majority of consumers are 'normal' people, who do not get any VAT back from the govt.
    So stop advertising your prices like they're super cheap when they're not the actual price that we're being made pay. :mad:
    </rant>

Heya :)

Noted :) thank you.

crawler wrote:
    Noted :) thank you.
    :D Best reply to a rant, ever :)

zoro wrote:
    :D Best reply to a rant, ever :)

People are fully entitled to their opinion and broadband means different things to different people - for some it's bandwidth - some it's quality and others it's price.....etc...

We cant be all things to all people but we do want to make the product attractive to the widest possible audience without diluting it's value or making it too complex with 100's of options.

At the review meeting at the end of the month we will look at how we can achieve this and then feedback changes (if indeed there are any ) to you all.

Besides I am far too easy going to get upset and playing the telco game long enough to know that products should be consumer driven not the other way around :)

I can tell you here and now that static IP's will be an option.

crawler wrote:
    People are fully entitled to their opinion and broadband means different things to different people
    Besides I am far to easy going to get upset and playing the telco game long enough to know that products should be consumer driven not the other way around :)
    I can tell you here and now that static IP's will be an option.
    1: Superb attitude to see, and it's also nice to see that you're so down to earth. It would be very easy for you to just create a new account out of sheer frustration with people complaining AT and TO you and never speak of broadband again! :)

2: Another great thing to see. An ISP taking an active interest in the consumers that they're providing a service for.
    Lets just hope that either a) don't need a complaints department, or b) it's a HELL of a lot better than Esat's ;)

3: *hugs* :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Newshound

crawler wrote:
    Hi Newshound,

There is a product review meeting at the end of September and it is on the agenda....

As I previously posted - I will update you all on this and other questions raised.

Thanks Crawler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Newshound

zoro wrote:
    2: Another great thing to see. An ISP taking an active interest in the consumers that they're providing a service for.
    Lets just hope that either a) don't need a complaints department, or b) it's a HELL of a lot better than Esat's ;)

Remember UTV and Netsource used to come on here - until things weren't going so smoothly for them :)

Newshound wrote:
    Remember UTV and Netsource used to come on here - until things weren't going so smoothly for them :)

Heh - you make a good point ;)
    I give Crawler ... oooohh, lets see, 4 months before he jumps ship? :p:D

zoro wrote:
    Heh - you make a good point ;)
    I give Crawler ... oooohh, lets see, 4 months before he jumps ship? :p:D

LOL, Probably :) (note my "join date" <- )

Seriously though - I will be here until we get teething stuff out of the way - then I will return to being the "other" crawler, i.e. regular poster.

I think I am clearly on record in saying I am not the new Garfield! :)

Hmmm...what ever happened young Scott T??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Hmmmm... consumer driven products. How come no-one has thought of this before? I feel an epiphany coming on :P... it's because they don't care about us!

I really hope that this Metro product lives up to it's claims... I've already made my order :) Just waiting for Digiweb to cover my area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

I am looking for a volunteer in Dublin. Someone that is +- 10 kms from 3 Rock and has clear LOS to the mast from their window (ie, apartment block or similar). Free install with normal monthly subs so that we can test performance through glass. Anyone interested - PM me. First come First Serve. Send me your address in the PM, as well as whether or not you have already ordered Metro. If you have - include your client ID number.

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sponge Bob wrote:
    and water never leaks into copper plant in Ireland , of course not :)
    Can't argue with that SB. I remember wearing a tshirt to an eircom-sponsored event stating something along those lines, oh so long ago... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭matdabomb

I live in Oughterard( around 20km away from galway) and was wondering is there anything i myself can install to get metro as i am die to get broadband been with stupid dial-up for 2 years. and bills of mine have been as high as €800. anything i can do will be great.
    Thxs

matdabomb wrote:
    I live in Oughterard( around 20km away from galway) and was wondering is there anything i myself can install to get metro as i am die to get broadband been with stupid dial-up for 2 years. and bills of mine have been as high as €800. anything i can do will be great.
    Thxs

Sorry but no, too far. PM me with a phone number and I will check all options for you ( DSL etc). €800.00 is fair going :(

Cheers....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

im considering going for the metro plus, but when i went to signup and enter details ie, my credit card the connection isnt encrypted, wouldnt this be off putting to some customers.
    id do direct debit but my account has a ton of em

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Very silly oversight on Digiweb's part there.

Out of (very sincere ...) interest, what's the turn around time between ordering and being connected with Metro?

Also, I'm presuming that Phibsboro (adjacent to Mater Hospital) is within Metro's scope as it's so close to the CC? :)

Sparky_S wrote:
    im considering going for the metro plus, but when i went to signup and enter details ie, my credit card the connection isnt encrypted, wouldnt this be off putting to some customers.
    id do direct debit but my account has a ton of em

Agghhh!!

Guys sincere apologies - beat me with a big big stick....

It is now fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

I don't suppose there'd be coverage in Annacotty, Limerick? Kind of low lying. Where are the current masts in Limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

What about the ballymun road, dublin 9 round DCU??

also do you offer FREE installation like IBB & NTL do for students??

• Advertisement

crawler wrote:
    Agghhh!!

Guys sincere apologies - beat me with a big big stick....

It is now fixed.

cheers, but i cant find a big enough stick, the brush handle will have to do :D

just a few questions before i order:

Is the CPE installed on a wall like an alarm box? (ie not on a pole like IBB)

Would you have coverage for Terenure, Harold cross area?

How long would you reckon installs will be done from date of order?

oh yeah does anyone have a Partner/Promo Code that i could use, and what does this code do?

my faith in wireless is gone, due to bad experiences with that ripwave thing, so hopefully digiweb would rekindle my faith.

Cheers.

All depends - pole or wall - depending on LOS.

Terenure area is covered by 3 Rock. Average turn around time is 10 working days from order.

Chaz wrote:
    All depends - pole or wall - depending on LOS.

Terenure area is covered by 3 Rock. Average turn around time is 10 working days from order.

3rock, yeah id say you may end up putting it on a pole off the chimney stack it would be a small pole anyway id say as i can visually see 3 rock from my attic window and thats halfway in the roof.

oh yeah any promo codes i should enter, just to have. :D

Chaz wrote:
    As for the IP addressing, there are internal discussion taking place at the end of the month to review some items, including addressing.

TBH I think I'm gonna hold out and see what comes of this static-ip stuff.

I was told on the phone that no arrangements could be made for static-ips on the base package, but could possibly be added to the mid-range package for no extra cost.

I hate being broke :(

if anyones ordering metro, enter wir81224 in the partner promo box if they want :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

That would be nice...
    VinnyL wrote:
    What about the ballymun road, dublin 9 round DCU??

also do you offer FREE installation like IBB & NTL do for students??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

just read thru all 15 pages... still a little confused about coverage at present.
    Can anyone confirm if Metro service is available in Phibsboro / Hanlons Corner / NCR / Phoenix Park area (D7) but mainly Hanlons Cr End of NCR...
    Cheers,
    Q.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭_Turismo4

Have to say this looks very interesting, I know there's not much info given, but VoIP will be included in the base package, will start at €35 a month. http://www.digiweb.ie/broadband_metro_index.asp?i=80&zzz=bm . I would defo sign up if it was a reliable alternative to eircom. Am I right in thinking this is Wi-Max? What kind of range does this have?
    Looks really promising.

• Advertisement

quintron wrote:
    just read thru all 15 pages... still a little confused about coverage at present.
    Can anyone confirm if Metro service is available in Phibsboro / Hanlons Corner / NCR / Phoenix Park area (D7) but mainly Hanlons Cr End of NCR...
    Cheers,
    Q.

Put in your order, the sales team have a fair idea where this is and is not coverage. In that location do you have a chance of coverage.

Advertisement