Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro is Coming!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Has anyone got it installed yet? What is the performance like?

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

Just ordered Metro there, so I am right in saying it'll be less than 10days to install?
    Promo code: wir81304

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Chaz wrote:
    The sales team have a fair idea where this is and is not coverage. In that location do you have a chance of coverage.

ENN has some advertorial today describing Digiweb Metro product and coverage and here is an extract from that Article
    "To get Metro, customers just have to ring us and tell us their address," "We've spent the last few months going around the different streets in each of the six launch cities, checking the quality of the signal, so we know where we can provide coverage."

So that boards nick should be kerbcrawler then..... should it ?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Wasn't too impressed with Metro's call charges so I emailed Blueface - here's what they had to say:

Yes we have spoken to DigiWeb and you will be able to use our service with their connections.

At this stage it is yet to be determined whether we will be able to use
    their adapter or whether you will need to use a separate stand alone one.

Thanks,

Aaron Clauson
    Blueface
    www.blueface.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

im only really going to be using the matro package for the BB, but the facility of having a telephone service over the metro is good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Sponge Bob wrote:
    "To get Metro, customers just have to ring us and tell us their address," "We've spent the last few months going around the different streets in each of the six launch cities, checking the quality of the signal, so we know where we can provide coverage."
    So why can't they give us a bloody coverage map then eh? :p

Oh - and that meeting about the static ip's should be happening in the next few days. I'm holding off on my order until I hear what's happening with that :)

I can't see them bringing in statics on the base package ......not for €35 a month all in.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I can't see them bringing in statics on the base package ......not for €35 a month all in.

Well to be frank, I don't understand why they don't have it on the base package for those that ask for it.
    It's not like it's an amazing overhead that requires vast amounts of resources to maintain.

The only (real) reason for not having static ip's on domestic packages (as I see it) is to help prevent people's computers from being targeted consistently by hackers/virusesesii

Of course, if it's kept as a separate 'addon' then they can charge for it. And from the list of extras that you get for the 20e a month, the only really useful one is the static ip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

I have a static ip on their basic DSL package. Is that strange? Just thought i'd throw that in there!

EDIT: Just checked, from their FAQ

Do I get a public/fixed IP address ?
    DSL1 service is provided with a dynamic public IP which changes each time your DSL modem reconnects. DSL2, DSL3 and DSL4 services all include a ‘fixed’ public IP address. (Digiweb reserves the right to alter the IP though if necessary for administrative reasons).

Sorry to put this in your Metro discussion but it may help somepeople in their fight for a static ip if they can say well how come all the DSL lads get one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

zoro wrote:
    Well to be frank, I don't understand why they don't have it on the base package for those that ask for it.
    It's not like it's an amazing overhead that requires vast amounts of resources to maintain.

The only (real) reason for not having static ip's on domestic packages (as I see it) is to help prevent people's computers from being targeted consistently by hackers/virusesesii

Of course, if it's kept as a separate 'addon' then they can charge for it. And from the list of extras that you get for the 20e a month, the only really useful one is the static ip.

Or to stop people hosting servers on the entry connection and eating the bandwidth available to other users...or to keep on good terms with RIPE...or to make IP address assignment a bit easier...or to stop people's PCs becoming part of a BotNet....

The list goes on...

There are seriously valid reasons for any ISP not to offer static IPs on entry level packages by default...

As I said there is a review meeting on Metro where all items will be discussed, including static IPs

Best to be honest :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

Have Digiweb plans to extend the METRO service to the rest of the towns that have ordinary wireless ????????????

crawler wrote:
    Or to stop people hosting servers on the entry connection and eating the bandwidth available to other users...or to keep on good terms with RIPE...or to make IP address assignment a bit easier...or to stop people's PCs becoming part of a BotNet....
    The list goes on...
    There are seriously valid reasons for any ISP not to offer static IPs on entry level packages by default...
    As I said there is a review meeting on Metro where all items will be discussed, including static IPs
    Best to be honest :)

Oh well excuuuuuse me mr high and mighty :p
    Looks like you've got ALL the right answers :)

Anyway - I won't go into my own reasons for requiring (well, wanting) a static ip, as I'm sure it'll end up being on a case by case basis anyway.
    I think I'll just shut up until we hear more about the outcome of the meeting :p

Thanks for replying though

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

zoro wrote:
    Run an ISP, do you?

oscarBravo wrote:
    Run an ISP, do you?
    Not at the moment no - but if we get static ip's on the base package (you never know...) out of the meeting being held soon would you be interested in signing up to ZoroBand?

or the Netmask Of Zorro :)

Sponge Bob wrote:
    or the Netmask Of Zorro :)
    Oh god DAMN that's a good one *sigs* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

oscarBravo wrote:
    Run an ISP, do you?

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Just put in my order for my office in Cork. Very friendly and helpful indeed. Unfortunately, on account of the take-up, I was told there may be a wait of 6 weeks! :(:( Which would be fine if I already had an internet connection but I've just moved in.

Chaz or Crawler, is this normal at the moment? Do you think there's much of a chance of getting it sooner than that? Could really do with it as soon as possible since I'm going between home and office for internet connectivity and I really don't fancy doing that for 6 more weeks.

Many thanks,

Nick

Just put in my order for my office in Cork. Very friendly and helpful indeed. Unfortunately, on account of the take-up, I was told there may be a wait of 6 weeks! :(:( Which would be fine if I already had an internet connection but I've just moved in.

Chaz or Crawler, is this normal at the moment? Do you think there's much of a chance of getting it sooner than that? Could really do with it as soon as possible since I'm going between home and office for internet connectivity and I really don't fancy doing that for 6 more weeks.

Many thanks,

Nick

Normal turn around is 10 working days. Due to extremely high demand (press release about this due soon) - we are working through them as fast as we can - hence why we have said from the start - get your orders in.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Chaz wrote:
    Normal turn around is 10 working days. Due to extremely high demand (press release about this due soon) - we are working through them as fast as we can - hence why we have said from the start - get your orders in.

Chaz, any idea if Castleknock (Park Drive estate) is/will be covered. TIA

• Advertisement

regedit wrote:
    Chaz, any idea if Castleknock (Park Drive estate) is/will be covered. TIA

I think it might be. Contact our sales team - they will check it out with a bit more accuracy (im not in the office till next week)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Read in my local paper this morning that they are waiving the 55euro to port your own phone number over.They confirmed this when i rang them this morning.But because there is such a demand,they quoted me up to 4 weeks to be connected.
    The girl said "we have had over 1000 applications already"I have los on the esb mast here in galway about 3 miles away.They still do a site survey- to make sure
    i suppose.Iam currently with eircom 2meg since april 03.Including line rental and vat Iam paying 72 euro a month.The more i look into this deal the better it gets.

huggs2 wrote:
    Read in my local paper this morning that they are waiving the 55euro to port your own phone number over.They confirmed this when i rang them this morning.But because there is such a demand,they quoted me up to 4 weeks to be connected.
    The girl said "we have had over 1000 applications already"I have los on the esb mast here in galway about 3 miles away.They still do a site survey- to make sure
    i suppose.Iam currently with eircom 2meg since april 03.Including line rental and vat Iam paying 72 euro a month.The more i look into this deal the better it gets.

Correct, the Eircom fee will be waived - already over 1000 orders on the system over a +- 2 week period. Press releases should have been sent out already containing this info.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

Chaz can you tell me if the service is available in Tyrrelstown Dublin 15 yet I was on to your sales people and they were not quite sure.

PM me your actual full address. Also - you dont have it indicated somewhere on a map that I can look at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Have a Wireless Router and network set up at the moment with Clicksilver. Really wanna leave UTV and i'm out of contract with them so i can leave with a months notice. I was wondering would i still be able to run my wireless network and have Metro broadband on all my pcs in my house? Is it just a case of connecting the metro modem to my current wireless router?

mickger wrote:
    Have a Wireless Router and network set up at the moment with Clicksilver. Really wanna leave UTV and i'm out of contract with them so i can leave with a months notice. I was wondering would i still be able to run my wireless network and have Metro broadband on all my pcs in my house? Is it just a case of connecting the metro modem to my current wireless router?

Yes, basically no real change. The supplied Cable Modem is the termination device. Your network will basically remain the same except an IP change or similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Chaz wrote:
    Yes, basically no real change. The supplied Cable Modem is the termination device. Your network will basically remain the same except an IP change or similar.
    Thats cool im so tempted to sign up.I'm in the Ballybeg area in Waterford with a clear view to the Water Tower which i think is where u have your mast.It that correct?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

Chaz..i know you answered something like this in the previous question but this is what i want to know...with the network in place in my house can i for instance be downloading on my laptop while playing bf2 etc on my desktop at the same time..i remember i saw something in the metro details about an account logon and how only one could be active..cheers for the help..

• Advertisement

mickger wrote:
    Thats cool im so tempted to sign up.I'm in the Ballybeg area in Waterford with a clear view to the Water Tower which i think is where u have your mast.It that correct?

Yep, the Watertower is the site.

Advertisement