Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro is Coming!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Roselawn Shopping Centre area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Altheus

How about Tyrrelstown, Dublin 15?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Altheus wrote:
    How about Tyrrelstown, Dublin 15?

I would also like to know, Tyrrelstown is near the Business Parks (IBM, Symantec etc)..!

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Anyone wanna give me a promo code to use before I sign up to this?
    (what'll the promo code mean??) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

zoro, you can use wir81304 (my promo code)
    once you get signed up you are given a promo code, you then refer people to digiweb with this code and receive digiweb vouchers...
    cheers

• Advertisement

Cool. Well I'll be signing up later on today - I'll use that code so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

signing up today aswell I think.

Castletroy area in Limerick. See how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

DigiWeb have confirmed that the Dun Laoghaire area is covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Rang them about Blanch (Roselawn SC area).. they say its enabled but a Line Of Sight test is needed first (free) ... order online and it'll take about 2 weeks to arrange that test, then if all is OK they can complete with the order

EDIT: Maybe a sticky with the available areas as people report back to the thread might be a good idea or Chaz, could this be put on the website? (somewhere prominent)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

sorry to ruine the party, but after my IBB experience I would not touch any wireless provider even if they were offering double the bandwidth for the same price of cable or DSL! too much lack of regulation of the radio waves in Dublin area! what's gonna make Metro any better than IBB? new technology or not! cant see it working ! (do we need to set up a Complaints about Digiweb thread in advance?)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Drapper wrote:
    after my IBB experience I would not touch any wireless provider even if they were offering double the bandwidth for the same price of cable or DSL! too much lack of regulation of the radio waves in Dublin area!

Your IBB experience was on unlicenced spectrum or sadly unregulated spectrum where a greedy and technically incompetent carrier is swamping a lot of spectrum in the Dublin area in the knowledge that the regulator will do nothing about it .

Lets say Leap (now Magnet) who normally use licenced spectrum and correctly configured equipment in no less a place than the Dublin area .

Have you EVER seen complaints about them ???

If Not why not , could it be that they are professional and competent wireless carriers ????

And yet they have been around for years !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Your IBB experience was on unlicenced spectrum or sadly unregulated spectrum where a greedy and technically incompetent carrier is swamping a lot of spectrum in the Dublin area in the knowledge that the regulator will do nothing about it .

Lets say Leap (now Magnet) who normally use licenced spectrum and correctly configured equipment in no less a place than the Dublin area .

Have you EVER seen complaints about them ???

If Not why not , could it be that they are professional and competent wireless carriers ????

And yet they have been around for years !

point taken, is there gonna be any QOS imposed? and will speeds be guaranteed (sorry if its been covered, hard to read the 300+ posts)

also, where is the Digiweb mast in blanch?

Drapper wrote:
    point taken, is there gonna be any QOS imposed? and will speeds be guaranteed

Technically the only speeds they have to guarantee are the package speed/contention ratio.

So the basic one would be 3meg/40 == 76k (Slightly better than dialup)

Or maybe I've the wrong end of the stick here....

Drapper wrote:
    point taken, is there gonna be any QOS imposed? and will speeds be guaranteed (sorry if its been covered, hard to read the 300+ posts)

Well they have been selling Bitstream DSL for a good while and 'manage' that contention themselves. We can surmise their bandwidth management from that . Lets say This Board has not been inundated with complaints .

zoro, you can use wir81304 (my promo code)
    once you get signed up you are given a promo code, you then refer people to digiweb with this code and receive digiweb vouchers...
    cheers

Ordered over the phone and COMPLETELY forgot about the promo code sorry :)
    *slaps face*

Now then, here's hoping for static ip's for those that request them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

zoro wrote:
    Ordered over the phone and COMPLETELY forgot about the promo code sorry :)
    *slaps face*

Now then, here's hoping for static ip's for those that request them ;)

Hahaha no problem, I just rang up to check the status of my order (ordered 8days ago) Rep told me that it would be 2-3weeks, so anyone that wants a seamless transfer from DSL to Metro may aswell order a month before their contracts expire!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

kaimera wrote:
    signing up today aswell I think.

Castletroy area in Limerick. See how it goes.

Kaimera...appreciate any feedback you might have when you've used the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

np. order gone thru and DirectDebit mandate posted.

/me waits now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Wondering if this is available in Whitehall Dublin 10? also , is a phone line necessary , i dont want the voip option so dont mind if i cant receive that.
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

L5 wrote:
    Wondering if this is available in Whitehall Dublin 10? also , is a phone line necessary , i dont want the voip option so dont mind if i cant receive that.
    thanks

Yes, Dublin 10 is covered, pending LOS test. You dont have to take the voice service though - the package price remains unchanged however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Chaz wrote:
    Yes, Dublin 10 is covered, pending LOS test. You dont have to take the voice service though - the package price remains unchanged however.

excellent thanks. can i ask whats involved in the installation? a receiver fitted to chimney and then do they have to drill through walls or anything to run the wire to your pc?
    in rented accomodation so that might be a problem if drilling is involved

Chaz wrote:
    You dont have to take the voice service though .

Reminds me ...do you carry sms on those 'voice lines' that all your customers get as standard Chaz ...either in or out ?

L5 wrote:
    excellent thanks. can i ask whats involved in the installation? a receiver fitted to chimney and then do they have to drill through walls or anything to run the wire to your pc?
    in rented accomodation so that might be a problem if drilling is involved

Yep, standard 'sky' type install. Antenna on roof / side of building - cable drop, drill, and install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Reminds me ...do you carry sms on those 'voice lines' that all your customers get as standard Chaz ...either in or out ?

Yep - do plan to - and IM type messaging too.

To be honest ( as I always try to be! ) will be 2006 before it's fully implemented.

Currently looking at various SMS gateways..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Chaz wrote:
    Yep, standard 'sky' type install. Antenna on roof / side of building - cable drop, drill, and install.

some pretty pics here of the equipment - it is very small! Hope it helps.

http://www.digiweb.ie/broadband_metro_faq.asp?i=80&i2=81&i6=98&zzz=hm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Henry O'Henry

Refurbishing a house in Ranelagh, moving back in start of December. Have no current phone line there at the moment, so your Metro 3mb looks perfect. Only trouble is I need to get a monitored alarm. Any news on your "Home Security Products"? Are you looking for any trial sites? :cool:

Chaz,
    You never came back to me, so I decided to ring your helpline to see if they could give me any info on the above. They couldn't (apart from telling me that Metro is available at my address).
    But they did mention that the "Home Security" would be launched along with "High Definition TV"in early 2006. Now I want you to know that this is Perverse Torture at its Sickest! Eircon & Skyte TV happen to be 2 of my least favourite institutions. You could save me ever having to deal with those morons ever again.
    Can you give me some hope?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

crawler or chaz can you tell me what is the problem in Limerick?

Can anyone help me out with my question, cheers lads.
    and will the 4mb package have a Static IP?

Chaz,
    You never came back to me, so I decided to ring your helpline to see if they could give me any info on the above. They couldn't (apart from telling me that Metro is available at my address).
    But they did mention that the "Home Security" would be launched along with "High Definition TV"in early 2006. Now I want you to know that this is Perverse Torture at its Sickest! Eircon & Skyte TV happen to be 2 of my least favourite institutions. You could save me ever having to deal with those morons ever again.
    Can you give me some hope?

Thats Crawler's field - more than mine :-) Hint Hint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

To either of the Digiweb employees:

Firstly, how many of the areas currently served by the ordinary wireless network Digiweb have will get "metro" upgrades? I see that there are many areas you cover throughout the country so I guess it would be less problematic to use existing sites for Metro services?

Secondly, do Digiweb envisage a time where all wireless customers will be switched to metro, in areas that it is available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Chaz wrote:

do you do installs into attics?, because thats where the planned office is going.

Advertisement