Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro is Coming!

191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Yeah I found out with a bit of googling ;)

My point was that Digiweb haven't made it known that "NORMAL PHONES WORK OMGz0r!" and whatnot. If you get what I mean :)

Anyway - I'm home now - and after 28,919 pings, this is what the connection has to say for itself:
    Ping statistics for 193.120.200.50:
    Packets: Sent = 28919, Received = 28777, Lost = 142 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 9ms, Maximum = 46ms, Average = 13ms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Chaz - can I disconnect my internal phone wiring from my Eircom line and hook it up to to the metro modem and then use my exisitng phone sockets? I have a DECT phone but am always forgetting to charge it or can't find it so I like to have a couple of wired phones too!

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

nice pings there, im still waiting for mine to be installed, i really do hope its this week but the weather does'nt look promising.

BTW are you on metro or metro plus ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭blobert

Applied today, told there would be a waiting time of 4 weeks (I'm in Dublin).

Should I send off the form to get my number ported yet or wait a while? I'm concerned that if I do apply to get my number ported and then discover that I'm not within line of sight when Digiweb come to install, I may be in trouble. Then again I dont want to pay needless months of Eircom line rental when I do get it installed.

Any advice would be much appreciated,
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

thx zoro! :D

• Advertisement

Inge Binge wrote:
    thx zoro! :D
    For what? :)

Sparky: I'm on the basic package.

As regards last night's performance - it was good. Nothing spectacular, but good.
    The pings ingame (ut2k4) were superb most of the time, but it appeared as though the contention ratio was hitting me, or if there aren't even 40 people on my subnet/section/contented pipe then it was just not 100%

As the pings above show, between 9:45am and about 6pm, there were over 28 thousand pings, and only 142 of them were dropped. That's less than half a percent :) Pretty amazing imo, and a hell of a lot better than any experiences I've had before with Esat.

I downloaded a number of large files last night, and while I did get full speeds when I got home at about 6pm, I noticed that at around 10:30pm, possibly 11pm, it got slightly slower. Nothing to cry about, considering it's still fast, but there was a drop off of about 50k/s in my dl speeds (I grabbed multiple files from a very reliable web server - that always maxes out your connection :) - unreal.ie)

If you've any more questions about the actual performance of the line (well, not a line, force of habit I guess ;) ), then let me know what I can do to help.

Daniel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

I don't think this was mentioned on the thread yet, and search is disabled....

Can the phone connection handle fax calls?

Thanks,
    LK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

LeperKing wrote:
    I don't think this was mentioned on the thread yet, and search is disabled....

Can the phone connection handle fax calls?

Thanks,
    LK.

T38 fax support will be there in about a week or two...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

im waiting 3 weeks now, so just how long do you reckon ill be waiting more, because im in work for the next two weeks, so i need to have an idea
    Cheers again
    :)

A bit more info on the basic package.

I found that it was laggy enough last night - in both UT2004 as well as Battlefield Vietnam.
    As I've only just ventured out into the BFV world I've no idea what to expect when it comes to players with high pings joining servers so it's not really the best example to give I suppose. But in UT2004's case I've had plenty of experience with server lag and how to make sure it's not coming from my end.

I was on a number of servers, but most of the night was spent on our (unreal.ie's) main games server - games1.unreal.ie - it wasn't plain sailing all night unfortunately :(
    I found that I got regular ping spikes.

They weren't there long enough for the in-game ping display to actually update and show me the new ping, as they were literally split-second changes.
    However they were more than noticeable while playing :( They got particularly bad for about an hour - and it felt as though I was downloading something at the time...

Looks like contention is going to be a bigger problem than I first thought. :(

We'll see though, that was only my second night testing it (I only have it 3 days) so give it time and I'll try to build a better picture of how it all pans out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

zoro wrote:
    A bit more info on the basic package.

I found that it was laggy enough last night - in both UT2004 as well as Battlefield Vietnam.
    As I've only just ventured out into the BFV world I've no idea what to expect when it comes to players with high pings joining servers so it's not really the best example to give I suppose. But in UT2004's case I've had plenty of experience with server lag and how to make sure it's not coming from my end.

I was on a number of servers, but most of the night was spent on our (unreal.ie's) main games server - games1.unreal.ie - it wasn't plain sailing all night unfortunately :(
    I found that I got regular ping spikes.

They weren't there long enough for the in-game ping display to actually update and show me the new ping, as they were literally split-second changes.
    However they were more than noticeable while playing :( They got particularly bad for about an hour - and it felt as though I was downloading something at the time...

Looks like contention is going to be a bigger problem than I first thought. :(

We'll see though, that was only my second night testing it (I only have it 3 days) so give it time and I'll try to build a better picture of how it all pans out.
    Zoro - PM me your details. You should not get ping spikes, nor feel as if there is contention kicking in - even at contention - pings should be near perfect.

Chaz wrote:
    Zoro - PM me your details. You should not get ping spikes, nor feel as if there is contention kicking in - even at contention - pings should be near perfect.

Done - Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I got install done today, 19 non-working days wait time.
    One thing is i can't get www.grc.com to load to test my ports as i'm worried about firewall capabilities of cable modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Got my install today waited just 13 days which was fairly fast. When i checked online first i was only getting 1mg speeds and was quiet disapointed. Rang tech support and they were helpful and updated something so i'm getting full speed now but i notice when some web pages load they stop half way through for a few seconds and then start. I changed the MTU value to 1480 as recomended. Any else find browsing a bit sluggish?????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

Chaz,
    What's the prob with the limerick area??? I've applied over 3 weeks ago and still haven't even received the paperwork to process my account...this kind of service is in the IBB territory and as I'm with IBB at the moment I'm reluctant to switch to an ISP that seems to display the same negative customer attitude...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

airblazer: same for me... waiting for over 3 weeks and didn't got even the papers. ring weekle the sales hotline...

IB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Guys, they have answered this question in the other Metro thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Jumpy wrote:
    Guys, they have answered this question in the other Metro thread.

Thanks Jumpy :)

answers here :- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=309016&page=5

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

cheers guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭ikoonman

I ordered my Metro with big enthusiasm a week or so ago when the sales lady told me that installation is done within 3 weeks. Yesterday I tried to follow up on an installation date since almost 2 weeks has lapsed (I read here that some guys got their BB installed within 2 weeks), and (a different sales person) informed me it can take 4 weeks or more. I am confused and a little bit annoyed at the service! Hope it's not a reflection on the rest of their service

• Advertisement
Advertisement