Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro is Coming!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Their website has just been updated but the full pricing/packages/details are still not there .

It appears to be FROM €35 ex vat ( €43 a month incl vat) and FROM 3Mbit but we must wait for the fine detail .

http://www.digiweb.ie/inbusiness_broadband.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

This will hopefully mean I'll finally be able to get broadband :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Damn, you mean its possible that it'll be running in the next few weeks? I just put in my order for wireless BB thinking that Metro wouldn't be live for at least a year. I really have to ring Digiweb about it

Found this on google about Metro:
    http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2005/Jun/1158413.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Zapho wrote:
    Damn, you mean its possible that it'll be running in the next few weeks? I just put in my order for wireless BB thinking that Metro wouldn't be live for at least a year. I really have to ring Digiweb about it

Found this on google about Metro:
    http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2005/Jun/1158413.htm
    Yup, and if you go here http://airspan.com/products_group.aspx?ProductGroupID=2&ProductID=10, it says it only does up to 3.2Mb realistically after overheads and then go to the brochure and that 3.2 is only the burstable speed.

So can someone please explain the supposed 6Mb? Bonding of some sort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

can someone clarify if its line of sight or not ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Jorinn wrote:

I think it might have something to do with the ability to connect to a few towers at one time but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Jorinn wrote:
    Yup, and if you go here http://airspan.com/products_group.aspx?ProductGroupID=2&ProductID=10, it says it only does up to 3.2Mb realistically after overheads and then go to the brochure and that 3.2 is only the burstable speed.

To ease your pain - it's not Airspan and it is line of sight to one of multiple base statons.

No more answers until Thursday.

Let the speculation run riot.

crawler wrote:
    To ease your pain - it's not Airspan and it is line of sight to one of multiple base statons.

No more answers until Thursday.

Let the speculation run riot.
    Actually that just raises the question of what this was all about then http://airspan.com/PR_Downloads/Digiweb%20Ireland%20%20announcement%20-June-27,%202005.pdf

Also question like....

Or did that not go ahead then and was cancelled?

Airspan still having supply problems? etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

The Airspan equipment is currently in use and will continue to be in most areas. In the Metro areas, as defined by the webpage, there will be new services available, not powered by Airspan, and capable of significantly higher speeds. Refer to Crawler's post. As indicated in other threads weeks ago, this is a new build, new equipment, new speeds. It is wireless and it does require Line of Site.

Ok, that clears it up a bit better. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Just got off the Phone to them, They are taking orders and they will be up and running in 3 weeks, Its 35Euro for a 3mb Connection with 512kb Up and 30Gb a Month Download, also provides free line rentals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Screw that there is a download limit on all the packages.
    30gb id never keep below that over 4 weeks.
    what is there next package like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Just got off the Phone to them, They are taking orders and they will be up and running in 3 weeks, Its 35Euro for a 3mb Connection with 512kb Up and 30Gb a Month Download, also provides free line rentals.

3m/0.5m for €43 a month is EXCELLENT value in the Irish market.

I wonder how much they will charge for their 6m/2m service....€100???

43Euro? No its 35Euro

zuma wrote:
    3m/0.5m for €43 a month is EXCELLENT value in the Irish market.

I wonder how much they will charge for their 6m/2m service....€100???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

€43 including VAT dude :) (and line rental is effectively included too)

I was just on the phone to them.

The next package is 4mb down 1mb up - 60GB CAP = €90 ex.vat
    Then 6mb down 2mb up - 90 GB CAP = €249 ex.vat :-(

Im getting the 4mb package and the person 4rm Digiweb has said
    that no1 will be charged 4 going over there CAP :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

ricey wrote:
    I was just on the phone to them.

The next package is 4mb down 1mb up - 60GB CAP = €90 ex.vat
    Then 6mb down 2mb up - 90 GB CAP = €249 ex.vat :-(

Im getting the 4mb package and the person 4rm Digiweb has said
    that no1 will be charged 4 going over there CAP :-)

The 6m/2m is a complete waste of money!!!

4m/1m is the sweet spot for sure...as long as they are CONSISTENT in their service and not another IBB!!!

But €43 for 3m/0.5m is excellent value.

What type of Aerial/Dish is required for Metro(WiMax?) anyway???

If it is another IBB i wil go off my game, no bull$hit.

Im on the phone to IBB now (well waiting as usual) to cancel that $hit
    lucky i kept my DSL for a few weeks to fall back on.

You will have a longggg wait, They want a report of speeds etc off me before they consider the cancell.... grrrrrrrr and waitin for a phone call for them to do it, I had 6% Packet loss and 2 % to my Mast!!!!!!!! SPeeds are about 20k

ricey wrote:
    If it is another IBB i wil go off my game, no bull$hit.

Im on the phone to IBB now (well waiting as usual) to cancel that $hit
    lucky i kept my DSL for a few weeks to fall back on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Just rang Digiweb, they were most helpful, I didn't find out much more than what is here already, but that the orders are flying in. If ye are interested i'd give them a buzz as soon as ye can. I intend signin up tomorrow once all the info is revealed.

• Advertisement

I am going to sign up once i no i am going to get out of my IBB contract i hope its a good service now.....Whats the story with the phone line, My Phone line is currently with Smart what will happen with that? and when they say HD Tv and video on demand soon, What exactly does that mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Digiweb will post a full FAQ on boards tomorrow evening to answer the most common questions after the official launch.

Mods - can you confirm if this is OK please, it will simply be a list of FAQs and answers not a troll/Pimp etc...

You will have a longggg wait, They want a report of speeds etc off me before they consider the cancell.... grrrrrrrr and waitin for a phone call for them to do it, I had 6% Packet loss and 2 % to my Mast!!!!!!!! SPeeds are about 20k

Its simple i told the bank not to make any payments to IBB so $crew em`

I am trying to get a refund first!
    ricey wrote:
    Its simple i told the bank not to make any payments to IBB so $crew em`

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Will the FAQ include more details on the coverage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 davedm

I just got off the phone with NTL and Digiweb and both confirm service will be starting in Blanchardstown in the next 2 months.(metro in the next few weeks)

Death to IBB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

crawler wrote:
    Digiweb will post a full FAQ on boards tomorrow evening to answer the most common questions after the official launch.

Mods - can you confirm if this is OK please, it will simply be a list of FAQs and answers not a troll/Pimp etc...

Can you include what's involved in porting your number, and also what the story is if you cancel your phone line and have a monitored alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 davedm

If you have an eircom phone watch alarm you cannot use smart or any other company that envolves changing your service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

At least IBB will loose the majority of their customer base. Should actually make their service usable now..

To the person from IBB reading this.. Yes, it is quite sad that your customers openly make sarcastic comments about how poor your service is...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

davedm wrote:
    If you have an eircom phone watch alarm you cannot use smart or any other company that envolves changing your service.
    I think there are GSM based alarms. Assuming this digiweb thing actually works, it would be a shame to have to keep paying Eircom line rental.

Advertisement