Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro is Coming!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

davedm wrote:
    If you have an eircom phone watch alarm you cannot use smart or any other company that envolves changing your service.

Are you sure about that now???

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

Please note: To achieve a connection under one of the standard service plans you must have clear line- of-sight from your planned transceiver location (i.e. rooftop) to a Digiweb central network transmitter, and not be more than 4km from same..

Wait, what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Yup I just rang them as well. 4km from the central network transmitter is the distance limit for the time being. They're hoping to extend that in the coming months to include rural areas, which is one of their main aims. That would be sweet!

Line of sight too. Great.

I don't know why I bother getting my hopes up anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

the enhanced pro package for €19.99 extra looks good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

tba wrote:
    the enhanced pro package for €19.99 extra looks good

whats extra?

100 MB Business Web Hosting Account (Unix or Windows)
    Domain Name Registration (.com, org, .net)
    100 Email POP Accounts at your domain
    Spam Filter
    Static IP
    Web Based Email and Hosting Control Panel
    FTP Server Account
    Graphical Website Visitor Stats Package
    PRO Online WebSite Builder
    100 AutoResponder Accounts

Might be useful for small businesses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I dont like the 40;1 Content Ratio, I dunno what to go for now......................................................

I dont like the 40;1 Content Ratio, I dunno what to go for now......................................................
    choose life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭arcane99

Is this system line of sight...
    Any ideas on areas provided to in Dublin. Not much info on their site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

With regards to Dublin, this is Dublin city only? No chance of getting this in the literal hole-in-a-bowl that is Balbriggan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

yeah a list/location of the central network transmitter would be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

From what I was told on the phone its going to piggyback on the digiweb wireless service for a while (testing I suppose) so if you want to get it you'll have to be within a 4km line of sight with the nearest digiweb wireless transmitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

All,

Some info floating around is incorrect. Coverage from a base station on average is between 6 - 10 kms, depending on which area. It is NOT 4kms.

I will post answers to questions later this evening. If you wish - post questions and ill try answer them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

to save pages of questions, have some good coverage maps ready

Just got off the phone to DW. asking for Dublin coverage... Me living in Glasnevin/ D11 and I was told no coverage that far north of the city... maybe at later stage, but no timeframe for next phases ... sigh....

Chaz wrote:
    All,

Some info floating around is incorrect. Coverage from a base station on average is between 6 - 10 kms, depending on which area. It is NOT 4kms.

I will post answers to questions later this evening. If you wish - post questions and ill try answer them.
    Whats the hardware, supplied, needed and setup like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Chaz wrote:
    All,

Are you targetting this at consumers or business mainly?

Above is because all your pricing (except strangely enough for voice call) are quoted ex vat.

Why the ludicrous price on the 6Mb package? Stymie demand till you can definately provide the bandwidth?

Low cap on the 3Mb service? You could of at least equalled ntls.

How big is the aerial (I live in a protected house so can't have any dishes or anything on the front of it)?

Where are your masts located so people can figure out if they might be able to get the service?

How big are the modems?

Do you need a wired link from receiver to modem or can this be done wirelessly out of the box or with a wifi link from receiver to mast?

Timescale from order to installation?

What VOIP kit does customer get?

Full list of call cost to all destinations both on and off peak?

I take it you don't ten to aggresively compete with the likes of blueface with those call costs quoted on your website and rather just by undercutting eircom a bit?

I'll think of more later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is no 'voip' as you understand it Jorinn. There are RJ11 and RJ45 ports on the CPE I understand so you use a bog standard phone. Maybe there is a voip system in the CPE but it presents to the users as pots .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

That's the way to do it so it's just plug and play for the user. So long as you can dial 1890 943 123 at local call rates, it doesn't really matter what they charge for international calls.

• Advertisement

Just off the line with a service rep..
    Asked him about the clondalkin area and was told that to order and they will send out enginners to check for coverage...LOS.

Asked where the masts are and was told only one which is located in the city centre. Think I'll just save the engineers a trip and stick with IBB...omg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

No minimum contract if I haven't misread the T&C's?

@Blaster99. unfortunately there is 12 month contract.
    I ran throught the sign up screens and this is what it says...

I accept the duration of the service contract is 12 months, and will auto-renew for successive periods on expiry unless I notify Digiweb in writing (email, fax, letter) not less than 14 days before expiry of the contract.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

According to the small print on the product page:

All prices exclude VAT @13.5% on installation, and 21% on monthly fee. Services are subject to availability and terms & conditions. 6 months contract applies.

The coverage area of only 4km and it being LOS would indicate that this isn't WiMAX at all. Since this seems to be the case, when exactly does Digiweb plan to rollout WiMAX? I'm talking about support for long distances from a base station and non-LOS.

I, like a lot of people here, assumed that this was what this product was going to be in the first place. I was very excited over this a few days ago, but since it isn't a WiMAX offering I have no interest in it as I couldn't possibly get it :(

LFCFan. that is true. but the T&Cs linked in the "order now" pages says 12 month.. with autorenewal for another 12 month.... however the name of the file is wireless terms.. and maybe they haven't updated them... still that needs to be clarified for sure.

5. TERM. This Agreement is for an initial term of 12 months, and shall automatically renew for subsequent 12 month terms, until terminated in accordance with this Agreement.

As I can't seem to get it, i stop being excited now... (no smart, no metro... wrong part of town...)

Nuphor wrote:
    The coverage area of only 4km and it being LOS would indicate that this isn't WiMAX at all. Since this seems to be the case, when exactly does Digiweb plan to rollout WiMAX? I'm talking about support for long distances from a base station and non-LOS.

I, like a lot of people here, assumed that this was what this product was going to be in the first place. I was very excited over this a few days ago, but since it isn't a WiMAX offering I have no interest in it as I couldn't possibly get it :(

Sorry to get off the point, but is line of site really los. My Ibb hasnt got line of sight. (not ripwave) Houses and trees in the way. About a mile away from Siac mast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Nuphor wrote:

I was told on the phone, it is not Wi-Max, but it is new technology, better than their current wireless services. It is Wi-Max compatible and when Wi-Max gear is available it will be upgraded.

Jorinn, and others. Some of the info here is incorrect and not sure where some of it comes from. I will correct as I can - some of Jorinn's questions i will and can answer. The questions about pricing for higher packages I will not comment on. These are the prices as stated with certain parameters and service level agreements.

This is equipment is not WiMax, nor will it ever directly be WiMax. It can certainly backhaul WiMax cells - perhaps this was misunderstood. There are currently 2 base stations live in Dublin, 3 Rock and Finglas, that will both give an average coverage of 6-10kms - depending on a few factors. The coverage from these alone is around 65% of the Dublin population. Phase 2 will push this out to other areas.

It is LOS only - however we have selected the best sites in Dublin and other cities to get as much coverage as possible.

The Voice is normal voice going through a proper class 5 switch. It is not voice over IP. Any standard analog phone / dect phone plugs into the supplied modem, standard RJ11 plug.

• Advertisement

Nuphor wrote:

Nuphor, the coverage is 6-10km as indicated earlier - not 4km. That information is incorrect.

Advertisement