Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro is Coming!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

crawler wrote:
    15) What number do you provide?

Standard phone numbers...01 for Dublin 021 for Cork etc..076 if asked for. There is no charge for the number we provide

If I move from Digiweb do I get to keep my phone number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

damien.m wrote:
    If I move from Digiweb do I get to keep my phone number?

Yep, number needs to be ported at a cost of €55 once off fee. There are 2 ways to approach this.

Take a new number from us, inform all your friends / business contacts

or

port the number across.

The number porting is a slightly tedious process - and takes a short while to get done. A suggestion is to keep your existing line active until after the port is done. Once the porting is done - you can then discontinue that service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

tba wrote:
    build really high towers
    me or digiweb ?

your not on this thread just to say smart stuff are you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Do you have to use the Phone Service i have a contract with another phone company for my calls.......
    Chaz wrote:
    Yep, number needs to be ported at a cost of €55 once off fee. There are 2 ways to approach this.

or

port the number across.

The number porting is a slightly tedious process - and takes a short while to get done. A suggestion is to keep your existing line active until after the port is done. Once the porting is done - you can then discontinue that service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Chaz wrote:

or

port the number across.

You charge me €55 to move my number from you to another provider?

So, moving from you, the number is still mine, but I'd need to take another number from you as a stop-gap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Chaz wrote:
    Its his 3rd personality .... dont mind him - been a long day :-)

Doesn't bother me, we need a bit of insanity about the place. But a, keep an eye on him just to be sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Do you have to use the Phone Service i have a contract with another phone company for my calls.......

I was told you dont have to, I intend using it with Blueface. Although with the lack of support for monitored alarms im wary of getting rid of the phone line. Surely there's some smart kid out there that can make a little device that will connect some bit of the alarm to some bit of an ATA. It cant be difficult, can it?

damien.m wrote:
    You charge me €55 to move my number from you to another provider?

So, moving from you, the number is still mine, but I'd need to take another number from you as a stop-gap?

Apologies - its been a long day.

Misread your question. The other way around - this is the case.

Not sure about the answer to your question. Crawler?

Not at all. Its bundled with the service, use it or not - as you wish. The rates on average are very good - therefore should be appealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Chaz wrote:
    Where are your masts located so people can figure out if they might be able to get the service?

In which city? In Dublin 3 Rock and Finglas are first phase sites, 2 others busy being planned / rolled out and then we will start to target dead spots and fill in cells.

So comment of your sales rep on the phone that Glasnevin/D11 is not serviced might not be true after all? (getting my hopes up ever so slightly...)

It seems neither the website (for T&Cs), nor the sales reps (for coverage) can be fully trusted...

Thanks for looking after the community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭JMcL

Regarding Waterford, is there any estimate as to when a rollout beyond the city might start? I live in Tramore, and there isn't LOS from here to the city (about 12km, fairly flat, but with loads of trees), however if there was a plan to put a site out at Waterford airport, that'd probably have good LOS.

I spoke with somebody in the Waterford office yesterday, and she said that it was the aim to provide more rural coverage, but couldn't say when the rollout wouuld start.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Chaz, if there's the extra bandwidth for up to 6mbps then would it be possible with the existing technology to use existing customers to create a mesh network to extend coverage, or would this not be possible?

being as you'd be putting a dish on peoples houses anyway, i mean.

just thinking about improving your customer base, and availability for the rest of us. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

What's the contention on the products?
    I might have missed it but i don't see it mentioned.

Edit. Ignore that, i'm obviously blind as its on the website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's on the info details page here: http://www.digiweb.ie/broadband_metro_services.asp?i=80&i2=81&i6=91&zzz=bm

(3mb) = 40:1
    (4mb) = 20:1
    (6mb) = 10:1

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭todd10k

Im waiting on the callback from the Rep. i want to make sure latency is perfect. i use high latency sensitive applications. so, if the rep phones me back with what i want to hear, i will be ordering.

Im yet another guy who bares the scars of irishbroadband. anything is better than this. cant wait for the call.

one call to rule them all :D

(omg new slogan? :D)

Latency is typically 10-15ms therefore most, if not applications will be happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

where are the masts located in Cork City??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Chaz wrote:
    Apologies - its been a long day.

Misread your question. The other way around - this is the case.

Not sure about the answer to your question. Crawler?

Yes, you can port your number back to eircom if you wish in the Future. Charging would be up to eircom on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

For anyone in Bray/Shankill area, I've just spoken to them and it's not included in Phase 1. They said they'd give me a call when the area is covered - I'll post here whenever that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Chaz wrote:
    LOL,

Basically, as its a cable system, typical latency is 10-15 ms stable. Due to it being licensed frequency - no chance of interferrence - so this is what can be expected as the norm.

Hi Guys, here is some latency example on a Metro 3Mb/512kbps package:

Pinging boards.ie [82.195.136.36] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.136.36: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 82.195.136.36:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 18ms, Maximum = 20ms, Average = 18ms

Pinging jolt.co.uk [82.133.85.65] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=54
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=54
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=54
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 82.133.85.65:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 27ms, Maximum = 35ms, Average = 31ms

Not bad, eh? :D

• Advertisement

jimbling wrote:
    where are the masts located in Cork City??

Current site is Collins Barrack - RTE. Phase 2 site to be confirmed.

tomk wrote:
    For anyone in Bray/Shankill area, I've just spoken to them and it's not included in Phase 1. They said they'd give me a call when the area is covered - I'll post here whenever that happens.

Shankill MAY be covered in phase 2. We wont really know until we have the new sectors up, commisioned and tested. Its certainly on the edge of the coverage zone. This sector should be up by the end of the month and then we can confirm exactly how far down it covers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Chaz,
    Any idea when it'll be available in the Malahide/Portmarnock area?

Thanks
    ambrose :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Hi Chaz,

I'm living in Glasnevin (Dublin 11) off Ballygal Road east - it's about 2 km from Finglas. Anychance there's coverage?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

Just don't know what the big buzz is about. 40:1 isn't a great ratio, it's pretty crappy to be fair. If Digiweb was happy enough to let them all go that high you could forget good download speeds even on a capped service.

Speaking of caps, its not that great either? Works out about the same as BT? There or there abouts anyways (not gonna start counting the cents/gb).

Plus its wireless, and so guaranteed more problems then line based services. Before I get lash back I understand the need for wireless when Eircom won't unbundle lines and let new exchanges be built/upgraded by other company's. Especially rural ones.

Plus I haven't heard good things from friends on digiweb in the past... Maybe things have changed?

Lastly if you have such a quality transit network, and only need minimal masts because of the huge coverage you get on this technology then surely the costs are minimized and you should be offering a 6MB package at a 50 Euro a month type price range. The high sites already being in place and all.
    I'm just not blown away by any of the specs on this at all. You only have to look at other European places to see how far we are behind. And this barely (if at all) beats current offerings from other providers.

What's all the commotion about????!??!?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Can anyone say were the Limerick mast is? cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

30gb ain't much. Would there be any chance that it will be increased to 50gb? That would certainly make it more appealing.

Also, you've said that people will be charged if they go over the download allowance. Will an alternative be offered that instead rate-limits customers to 512/256? Also, how much would it cost me if i went 1gb over the limit, if you were to charge me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

I saw one of the Digiweb people say that they have a mast in Finglas, where is this mast, is it near the Village? I'm just a mile down the road from Clearwater just off Ballybogan Road, would it have coverage that far?

30gb ain't much. Would there be any chance that it will be increased to 50gb? That would certainly make it more appealing.

Also, you've said that people will be charged if they go over the download allowance. Will an alternative be offered that instead rate-limits customers to 512/256? Also, how much would it cost me if i went 1gb over the limit, if you were to charge me.

As mentioned before - the packages can be changed to suit. We have certainly not had any problems selling the product thus far.

There will not be a charge for going over limit - not sure where you heard otherwise - but this is incorrect. Once you go over limit you will be capped down substantially.

• Advertisement

WezzyB wrote:
    I saw one of the Digiweb people say that they have a mast in Finglas, where is this mast, is it near the Village? I'm just a mile down the road from Clearwater just off Ballybogan Road, would it have coverage that far?

It is the ESB mast on the N2 / M50 intersection. Not 100% certain where you are to that - if you are currently more or less south from that - you will get coverage assuming LOS. Other sectors to the East and West went up today - but rain stopped play - therefore will only be complete sometime next week.

Advertisement