Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro is Coming!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Hey Chaz! Any chance you'll be getting to the Ashbourne/Duleek area in the next year or so? Hopefully building a new house out that direction next year and would love to have a broadband option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

It would be great if someone (not me!) could do a google maps (overlay/layer) for these towers, maybe it could include towers for all Wireless Broadband providers, any volunteers.

If it was good enough it could be a sticky in the Broadband availability thread (suggestion).

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Dublin+Ireland&ll=53.378413,-6.250191&spn=0.091638,0.240704&hl=en

[Edit: typo]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

There will not be a charge for going over limit - not sure where you heard otherwise - but this is incorrect. Once you go over limit you will be capped down substantially.
    I could have sworn you posted earlier that people WOULD be charged for going over the cap... I must have misread. In that case, 30gb wouldn't be to bad, but isn't really much of a step up from other places. But at least you are guaranteed to have a working connection 24x7 for a fixed price.

Don't you have a mast up on threerock? If so, have you any idea if it has visibility to the ballyroan area (near rathfarnham)?

Lastly, does the provided cable modem thingy prioritise VoIP traffic? Or does it have an option that can be enabled to prioritise VoIP traffic over other traffic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

chaz u wouldn't have a list of places where u'll be bringing it to next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I could have sworn you posted earlier that people WOULD be charged for going over the cap... I must have misread. In that case, 30gb wouldn't be to bad, but isn't really much of a step up from other places. But at least you are guaranteed to have a working connection 24x7 for a fixed price.

Don't you have a mast up on threerock? If so, have you any idea if it has visibility to the ballyroan area (near rathfarnham)?

Lastly, does the provided cable modem thingy prioritise VoIP traffic? Or does it have an option that can be enabled to prioritise VoIP traffic over other traffic?

I think you need to reread my FAQ :)

Q7...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=298312&page=6&pp=20

It's not VoIP as such, it's packet cable and therefore voice gets priority.

And yes, several sectors on 3 rock

• Advertisement

crawler wrote:
    It's not VoIP as such, it's packet cable and therefore voice gets priority.
    Sounds interesting. But the question i have is this. Supposing i was wolfing down a torrent at full whack, and uploading at full whack aswell. If i were to try and make a call via the VoIP (i know you said its not VoIP, but its the best description i have for it :P), would the quality be just as good as if i were not downloading or uploading anything?

After that, all i can say is i'm very very tempted to switch. The odds of me going over 30gb a month are slim, but i'm still a bit iffy about the cap. I'll decide sooner or later i suppose. I'll see how the reports from other connected customers sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

If you are using the same masts as other WISPs does that mean that people who cannot avail of wireless because of LOS issues are no better off with your product?

I'm picturing the situation of a user in say south dublin, just outside of NTL's cable area, too far from an exchange to get xDSL, in the shadow of 3 rock and reading this news about metro and discovering yet again BB is not available to them.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Mutant_Fruit the voice is packet cable and gets priority so even if you are maxing both d/l & u/l the voice will take the priority and the quality will not be affected.

I have no idea what packet cable is... i just wanted to be sure that the voice wouldn't get affected. Thanks for verifying that.

Now... to google packet cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I have no idea what packet cable is... i just wanted to be sure that the voice wouldn't get affected. Thanks for verifying that.

Now... to google packet cable.

www.cablemodem.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The website has been updated , but I can't see a contract term anywhere? Is there a minimum contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

is_that_so wrote:
    The website has been updated , but I can't see a contract term anywhere? Is there a minimum contract?

6 Months

ghost26ie wrote:
    chaz u wouldn't have a list of places where u'll be bringing it to next.

Rather ask me for a specific area - too much going on.

LFCFan wrote:
    Hey Chaz! Any chance you'll be getting to the Ashbourne/Duleek area in the next year or so? Hopefully building a new house out that direction next year and would love to have a broadband option.

Not for some time yet. How far north is Ashborne from the Finglas area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

can you get it in Lucan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

is clondalkin covered?
    i've signed up so this is special pleading

Jakkass wrote:
    can you get it in Lucan

Not yet. We are hoping to get some form of coverage out there towards the end of the year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Chaz wrote:
    Not for some time yet. How far north is Ashborne from the Finglas area?
    It's about 6 or so miles from the M50 Exit.

There's a place called Pudden Hill Equestrian Centre which is 'on a hill' that is close to Ashbourne, Duleek, Garristown and loads of other townlands around the Meath/Dublin area which would be a great highsite and access to loads of potential customers.

sixtysix wrote:
    is clondalkin covered?
    i've signed up so this is special pleading

Bits of it might be covered at the moment. We are planning a site that will be closer to it than 3 Rock - expected to go live, as with the Lucan area of towards the end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

I'm slightly curious about this metro package...

If you're on 3 rock, do you have knocklyon covered?

I'm almost sure someone down the road from me has an IBB connection....

• Advertisement

TimTim wrote:
    I'm slightly curious about this metro package...

If you're on 3 rock, do you have knocklyon covered?

I'm almost sure someone down the road from me has an IBB connection....

How far do you esimate you are from 3 Rock? Can you see the tall masts on the hill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

I personally can't see the masts on 3 rock from my house.

But I can give you its about 2.5 miles to Taylors 3 Rock pub/bar/restraunt.

Map24 doesn't really do mountains...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

how about bayside/baldoyle area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭dam099

Is Kinsealy covered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

chaz could you tell me were the limerick mast is?
    cheers bud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

any word on galway...
    to be a little clearer i can see from the site u can order now for galway but just wondering where the mast is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

i signed up, by phone anyway, gave bank account details, and now according to chaz it will be the end of tne year before there is coverage-hardly good practice
    for digiweb to adopt

Guys, i cant check every location for coverage - just too tedious. Please call into our sales team and place an order. The sales team have a fairly good idea of coverage once you give them your address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

coverage maps of each location would solve an awful lot of questions... might even boost sales!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Beta2

I've been waiting for Smart to go live in Naas for ages now, But I see on the metro website that Naas is listed as a pre launch location? Maybe Smart will loose my custom.

The person in the call center didn't really know when Naas would go live?

Does anyone here have any idea.

Cheers B2

P.S. I hate Eircom

Advertisement