Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro is Coming!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

zoro,

For comparison purposes. Here are the pings you requested from an IBB customer!

ping www.unreal.ie

Pinging unreal.ie [193.120.123.142] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 193.120.123.142: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=55
    Reply from 193.120.123.142: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=55
    Reply from 193.120.123.142: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=55
    Reply from 193.120.123.142: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 193.120.123.142:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 13ms, Average = 12ms

ping games1.unreal.ie

Pinging games1.unreal.ie [193.120.200.50] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 193.120.200.50: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=54
    Reply from 193.120.200.50: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=54
    Reply from 193.120.200.50: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=54
    Reply from 193.120.200.50: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 193.120.200.50:
    Minimum = 10ms, Maximum = 16ms, Average = 12ms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Ah good! :)

Thanks for that. I can see that you're obviously not having any issues with your IBB connection. Can I ask you which mast you're on and how long you've had a good connection (or if it's been bad at all)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Just off the phone to digiweb...

Still can only guarantee 3Mb with 40:1 contention, i.e. 76.8kbps!
    They did say that was only if the pool was fully allocated, but chances are it won't!

But that does mean - that if 4 heavy users are in the same pool, then you'll have less than 1MB.....

Still no info on off-peak phone tariffs...

-RikD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

In fairness EVERY isp has a contended product, and they only ever guarantee the minimum speed but very few people (except people with IBB) ever regularly get less than 2/3's the advertised speed.

In fairness EVERY isp has a contended product, and they only ever guarantee the minimum speed but very few people (except people with IBB) ever regularly get less than 2/3's the advertised speed.
    But why are they allowed to advertise that they have a "4 meg product" ... despite only providing a guarantee (i hate spelling that word :) ) for 1/40th of that?

It really does annoy me :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Not every ISP. Smart has no contention, they provide the bandwidth necessary. As does Eircom, despite claiming that they have contention. Eircom would be wise to drop the whole contention thing as it's a competitive advantage they have over ISP's like IBB. Any company that mentions contention, should be forced to advertise the minimum speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

Hi everyone unless I am missing something no mention of gamers or how it will worketc
    It's not like this IBB where there is a second delay and totally useless for gamior is it like normal BB Eircom/Esat companies BB?
    I( got my leaflet thru the door today hot on the heels of Smarts leaflet last week
    Another serious question is I live smack in the middle of town and obviously lots of high buildings, will this effect the quality?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

the pings that Chaz ran and posted in this thread are similar to DSL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

IBB is no different from other ISP's. Their problem resides nearly completely within their own network. They just can't keep up with the customers they're registering, and as a result, they end up dropping (on average) 15%+ of all packets (at least on my connection). They could easily upgrade their internal network, it costs nothing as compared to upgrading international transit. Tis pure laziness and shoddy management!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

Chaz wrote:
    Rather ask me for a specific area - too much going on.

newbridge co.kildare

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Clanc

ghost26ie wrote:
    newbridge co.kildare

Navan?? (as I understand that currently Digiweb are not accepting Wireless orders there due to signal interference)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

ghost26ie wrote:
    newbridge co.kildare

Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭s_gr

I read in an earlier post that there is a Basestation in Finglas, was just wondering where in finglas it is as i live near there and wondering if i have line of sight to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

clonsilla/blanch area?

Guys, put your orders in, the sales staff have a fairly good idea where we have and do not have coverage. Finglas is live, 2 more sectors went up yesterday, therefore basically 270 degree coverage, excluding North. These sectors are still to be 100% commisioned however - should be available 'for sale' some time next week.

Blanch / Clonsilla may get some coverage from it - ill ask the commisioning team to check there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Chaz,

270 degree, does that cover the direction towards Glasnevin - DCU?

Chaz,

270 degree, does that cover the direction towards Glasnevin - DCU?

Yes, it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Chaz any chance of digiweb bringing out some kind of coverage map?

Because i called them live in the south of the city sandycove/ dalkey area and was told the area is not covered yet.

If they had a map it would save people alot of time instead of having to call up and check with the sales rep.

Clearwire the same applies to you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Hey Chaz,
    Are there any plans to put up extra base stations outside the main centres of population?
    I live 'just' outside the range of the one in Limerick according to the sales guy, I was wondering if there will be more masts put up on the outskirts of cities to catch the people in the suburbs and in the surrounding rural areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i actually saw a guy stopped at the side of the cappagh road yesterday afternoon where the travellers area is, and I nearly stopped for a chat, but didn't want to bother him and drove on. is that near where the antenna is?

Chaz, get you're guys to look into doing a coverage map overlay for the google maps. seems to be relatively easy to do, and would give everyone a good idea of availability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

vibe666 wrote:
    Chaz, get you're guys to look into doing a coverage map overlay for the google maps. seems to be relatively easy to do, and would give everyone a good idea of availability.
    Would that not just give mast location (which may or may not be commercially sensitive), and not any clue as to coverage?

Also, Chaz, I second the call for a coverage map. It saves an awful amount of time, and is information presumably the commissioners would have had to do up any way? I don't think having only partial areas covered would reflect badly, if that's one concern. If its the time to put it together, think of the time saved by not having to answer calls from people who are not in served areas, etc.

.cg

Mac daddy wrote:
    Chaz any chance of digiweb bringing out some kind of coverage map?

Because i called them live in the south of the city sandycove/ dalkey area and was told the area is not covered yet.

If they had a map it would save people alot of time instead of having to call up and check with the sales rep.

Clearwire the same applies to you...

Mac daddy, and others. We have considered coverage maps, however they seem to create more problems than what it is worth. We have looked at both ways - and feel the current method is best.

The sector covering Dalkey was going up today - but rain stopped play. We expect to have it live hopefully tomorrow - ready for testing the following week. You should have been given the info that it is not live yet - but an esitmate of before the end of September applies, and your order taken.

Jimoc, its all about supply and demand. If there is enough business to be had - we will go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Clanc

Chaz wrote:

Jimoc, its all about supply and demand. If there is enough business to be had - we will go.

Hi Chaz,

How do you measure if there is enough business outside of the existing centres? Are you going to have a trigger programme?
    I'm in Navan, and here is the response of a colleague of yours to my recent query about getting wireless there. I'm sure there are lots of poeple like me about who can't get any kind of service from any provider at te moment, despite being well within areas of "coverage"

Cheers
    Ger

"Ruairi Watters" <rwattters@digiweb.ie>
    13/09/2005 09:19
    To xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

cc

Subject
    RE: Wireless Digiweb Query Navan

Hi Ger,
    Unfortunately the coverage in Navan has not yet changed. It was delayed due to the rollout of a new wireless service we have launched and there is no time frame at the moment for the completion of the upgrade.
    To check the status of your line for DSL you can go to www.dsl.digiweb.ie If it fails you can see what exchange you're on here http://dsltrigger.eircom.ie/broadband.jsp It may be one that is due to be upgraded.
    With any luck it will not be too much longer before we can get you both connected.

Regards,
    Ruairí

Ruairí Watters | Sales Executive, Digiweb Ltd.
    T: +353 42 939 3328 | E:rwatters@digiweb.ie
    F: +353 42 939 6410 | DIGIWEB: www.digiweb.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

zoro wrote:
    Out of interest, could you give me some ping times to:

www.unreal.ie
    games1.unreal.ie
    games2.unreal.ie

please?
    I've found that pinging boards.ie and jolt doesnt give the full picture, and that pings to boards can sometimes be erratic. Jolt, being in england, gives a nice idea of what gaming on non-irish servers are like, but the 2 unreal.ie (ut2004) games servers are extremely popular, so it'd be nice to have some information for that.
    Daniel

Sorry for the delay Zoro, here are the pings this morning:

Pinging unreal.ie [193.120.123.142] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 193.120.123.142: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=57
    Reply from 193.120.123.142: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=57
    Reply from 193.120.123.142: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=57
    Reply from 193.120.123.142: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 193.120.123.142:
    Minimum = 6ms, Maximum = 9ms, Average = 7ms

Pinging games1.unreal.ie [193.120.200.50] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 193.120.200.50: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=56
    Reply from 193.120.200.50: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=56
    Reply from 193.120.200.50: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=56
    Reply from 193.120.200.50: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 193.120.200.50:
    Minimum = 6ms, Maximum = 14ms, Average = 9ms

Pinging games2.unreal.ie [193.120.200.51] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 193.120.200.51: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=56
    Reply from 193.120.200.51: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=56
    Reply from 193.120.200.51: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=56
    Reply from 193.120.200.51: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 193.120.200.51:
    Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 14ms, Average = 10ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Chaz wrote:
    and feel the current method is best.

What method is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

Chaz, When are installations starting in Limerick?

Nice one Zeroy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Say what you like about Eircom (and I'm far from their biggest fan) but at least they have to guarantee that their lines can carry voice traffic. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I like the security and cheapness (compared to mobile charges) of a land line. I think I'll give it a few months before considering Metro and if it's reliable for calls then maybe go with it. Does anyone now if you could use an alternative VoIP provider eg blueface with Metro?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

irishguy wrote:
    Chaz, When are installations starting in Limerick?

I Think it in three weeks time cuz i was told it would be from three to four weeks that was a week ago.

Advertisement