Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Broadband??

• 04-09-2005 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Is Smart broadband any good? I saw they offer a 2meg connection for 35 euro (inc vat). Another thing is the broadband connected through the telephone wire or is it completely independent? The house im moving into doesnt have a telephone wire.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Telephone wire, do a search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Hi NL,
    Smart BB goes on your Eircom telephone line, so you'll need to get that setup before you can order Broaband with Smart. However i'd advise you to ring them yourself because they dont have national coverage at the moment, so they might not be in your area for a while :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭nl

ill be living in Dublin city center this year and I checked if the area has it. Turns out it does. I tested by googling the area(Mountjoy Square) and talking a few numbers to use for the line test.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I think that a couple of peope in the Moutjoy Sq area have already posted here about it. I am on the Crown Alley exchange and have Smart since last Thursday and its been fine so far. But as another poster has pointed out there are loads of Smart threads here for you to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

I'm still waiting for my form off them after being promised twice, i'm in Cork on Quaker Road exchange

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Skud wrote:
    I'm still waiting for my form off them after being promised twice, i'm in Cork on Quaker Road exchange

I only got my forms yesterday after waiting about 2 wks for them , bit slow like.

Anyhow, the eircom prequal page keeps showing fail for my new line, this obviously hasn't been tested yet (6wks the line is in and I've rang eircom four times to get it tested)
    I'm hoping Smart don't need eircom to test it and do their own tests. Obviously my exchange is Smart enabled otherwise there'd be no point to this post...:)
    I can't wait to say bye bye eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

what forms are you waiting for may i ask, once you send in the direct debit is that the last of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

takes a while to swap over, but so far service has been perfect. We're on the crown alley exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

I'm waiting on those forms too, have taken over a week and not here but i live in hope. Jnive its the direct debit form and customer authorisation form, I thought like you that it was just direct debit but then my dad forgot to send it anyway so he'll be filling out these instead. But as to whether you have to do the customer authorisation one after you have sent in the direct debit is something im not sure of, best to ask tho.
    I hear the service is very very good and im only a form or two away from knowing. I'd say if you can get it go for it, it may be messy becos of eircoms disgraceful pouting but from what i know it will be worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

well i'll see myself, the forms are being sent out to me also

• Advertisement

bingo9999 wrote:
    I hear the service is very very good and im only a form or two away from knowing. I'd say if you can get it go for it, it may be messy becos of eircoms disgraceful pouting but from what i know it will be worth it

Messy because of eircoms etc etc is putting it mildly I have been on Smart since last Thursday and I began the journey at the end of June when I gave UTV a month's notice - one of these days when I have recovered my energy I will post all the details of what I had to go through to get to Smart but for the moment suffice to say that so far its been worth it - Smart were not wonderful during it by any means but in fairness Garfield was very attentive (thats about the best word to describe the way he looked after me) to me and my concerns at all times especially around the actual connection and yesterday out of the blue I got a call from smart technical support to make sure I had received the modem and that everything was fine with me. I thought that was a very nice touch. I am sure in time there will be stuff to moan about but for now everything is fine - I am on Crown Alley and obviously word is getting around as today I saw a smart modem being delivered to one of the houses down the street :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭sleur

the form I assume they're going to send out is the customer authorisation form. In the lead up to getting bb with Smart I had to ring them TWO times & request one. neither arrived. eventually got pissed off & they directed me to their website http://www.smarttelecom.ie/products/residential/smart2smart/CustomerAuthorisationForm.pdf
    I never even thought of checking there in the first place, they at least could have suggested me to download it initially. Print it off, fill it on, fax it & get them to email you to confirm they've received it. should speed up process a little.

It truly is worrying if a company like Smart who are obviously in need all the customers they can get, cannot organise themselves sufficiently to get forms out which are guaranteed to get money in for them.

Companies spend fortunes on marketing and then have not got the competency to get an applicatin form out???????

Eircom are probably sending out reps to attack postmen that have letters from smart!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

sleur wrote:
    ....eventually got pissed off & they directed me to their website http://www.smarttelecom.ie/products/residential/smart2smart/CustomerAuthorisationForm.pdf
    I never even thought of checking there in the first place, they at least could have suggested me to download it initially. Print it off, fill it on, fax it & get them to email you to confirm they've received it. should speed up process a little.
    Sleur,

You've been misled. That's not the Customer Authorisation Form (CAF) for broadband.
    I've attached a blank one to this post. Fill out and return FREEPOST.

I'll see if I can find out what's going on.

Garfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

bingo9999 wrote:
    Eircom are probably sending out reps to attack postmen that have letters from smart!!!!!

CWU

whats CWU? sorry

bingo9999 wrote:
    whats CWU? sorry

Communication Workers Union

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Garfield,
    I am just about to fill in the smart CAF form that I recieved in the post last month. I finally recieved from my cancellation number from UTV today and i have a question.

The telephone line is under my girlfriends name, When signing up for UTV BB a couple of years ago I did under my own name, no problems at all. Will It be the same with SMART? Or will I have to get SMART in under her name?

Aint dialup great :(

Thanks! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭cal29

Smart have a problem with the router modem they provide it is incapable of using P2P and torrents etc it hangs straight away or within minutes

There is a few threads on here about the problem

My advice would be dont sign up for smart until you find out if they are still using the Aolink modem if they are and you intend to use torrents or P2P then beware you will not be able to

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

The telephone line is under my girlfriends name, When signing up for UTV BB a couple of years ago I did under my own name, no problems at all. Will It be the same with SMART? Or will I have to get SMART in under her name?

Thanks! :D
    DM2,

Girlfriend's name. Smart are taking full control of the line (voice and data). There's no BB on the line, so it's your girlfriend's permission we need (I reckon).

Garfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭lardboy

cal29 wrote:
    Smart have a problem with the router modem they provide it is incapable of using P2P and torrents etc it hangs straight away or within minutes

There is a few threads on here about the problem

My advice would be dont sign up for smart until you find out if they are still using the Aolink modem if they are and you intend to use torrents or P2P then beware you will not be able to

Some people have problems with p2p on the router. I've had no hangs or slowdowns with either BT or eDonkey. Your mileage may vary.

cal29 wrote:
    Smart have a problem with the router modem they provide ....................My advice would be dont sign up for smart until you find out if they are still using the Aolink modem if they are and you intend to use torrents or P2P then beware you will not be able to

I think its important to remember that not everyone who might be considering signing up for Smart will be into torrents etc and that the router that Smart provide essentially for free will be very adequate for those people. A couple of months savings on Smart over other isps will pay for a different router for anyone who requires one. Garfield and other posters have offered workarounds with the current router.

Smart deserve encouragement for what they are trying to achieve and have shown that they will be responsive by recognising that there is a demand for a higher upload speed and responding to it (soon hopefully!!). On the other hand they deserve criticism for some of their customer service which needs attention such as a very basic matter like not getting application forms out to people.

Thanks for the reply Garfield.. Now the waiting starts :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ryan Phillips

It better be worth the wait!! I have never had so much hassle in my entire life. Im on the crown alley exchange, I ordered by filling in the form online on.............wait for it..............the 21st of July, still waiting!! I've most recently been told it'll be delivered on the 19th of September. That's just 2 days short of 2 months!! 2 whole months....laughable, I've just come to the conlusion that in the last two months they must have done EVERYTHING wrong at this stage, so they have to get it right now, there's just nothing else to get wrong I dont think!!

It better be worth the wait!! I have never had so much hassle in my entire life. Im on the crown alley exchange, I ordered by filling in the form online on.............wait for it..............the 21st of July, still waiting!! I've most recently been told it'll be delivered on the 19th of September. That's just 2 days short of 2 months!! 2 whole months....laughable, I've just come to the conlusion that in the last two months they must have done EVERYTHING wrong at this stage, so they have to get it right now, there's just nothing else to get wrong I dont think!!

As a matter of interest did you have broadband already on your line or was this a completely new order. I am still recovering from the exhaustion of trying to get from UTV to Smart. I am on the Crown Alley Exchange and its fine once you get it but getting there is an incredible (in the worst sense of that word) journey.

DM2,

Girlfriend's name. Smart are taking full control of the line (voice and data). There's no BB on the line, so it's your girlfriend's permission we need (I reckon).

Garfield.

My application was denied because of complexities :(
    My girlfriend signed up for smart because the eircom line is in her name, I filled in the Direct debit form with my details. Whats wrong with that?

My application was denied because of complexities :(
    My girlfriend signed up for smart because the eircom line is in her name, I filled in the Direct debit form with my details. Whats wrong with that?

Did Smart not explain their attitude to this arrangement to you? I presume that because the person receiving the service is not paying for it they would see potential problems. I would be surprised if they did accept the arrangement.

They didn`t explain anything really, just that it was Complex, I didn`t think that it would be a problem as i did the same when signing up for sky, my mum got it installed and I used my bank details to pay for it.. Any clues Garfield?

• Advertisement

They didn`t explain anything really, just that it was Complex, I didn`t think that it would be a problem as i did the same when signing up for sky, my mum got it installed and I used my bank details to pay for it.. Any clues Garfield?

Darkmaster I think Garfield has now gone on holidays. I actually asked an accountant here in work about your situation and he was not surprised that a business would not be too keen on such a situation. There is no formal link between you and your girlfriend so any future difficulties between yourself and herself could result in problems for Smart or any other business in attempting to get their money. However do not let Smart away so lightly get on to them and ask them to state what there problems are with your proposal for paying in simple English.

Advertisement