Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pearls of Wisdom

Options
  • 04-09-2005 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Lets enlighten some of the freshers and some rather stuffy older chaps, wheres cool to go out in town or on campus for students? Names please. My own selection

5. Coppers cos everyone is drunk
    4. Q Bar cos its handy and not all what? What? WHATTT?
    3. Sports Bar when busy like in freshers week and when you are drunk, cos its near for you to stagger home
    2. TramCo

1. Il Mondo in Ranelagh

And none of this Anabels talk either we all know its ****e. A lot of you might say Spirit too but I personally felt it was an anticlimax. I just didnt come!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Il Mondo???

Arrrgh, no. Tackiest decorations in the world, fact.

Tramco actually is alright, was there for a birthday party on Saturday night.

Give me a house party ahead of going out and paying 5.50 for a pint any day, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

3. Sports Bar when busy like in freshers week and when you are drunk, cos its near for you to stagger home

Hate to break it to you but the Sports bar is gone..... closed over the summer. In the process of being converted to a weights room i think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

irlrobins wrote:
    Hate to break it to you but the Sports bar is gone..... closed over the summer. In the process of being converted to a weights room i think...

What?! Yes but a weights room and a pub maybe??????????????????? They can't take away the sports bar its the only cool bar on campus where the admittedly lovely but disturbingly orange people do not congress (Don't make me live out my alcoholic future in the student bar)

Lets not make this into a 2nd SU thread but this is exactly where a committed and unidirectional union with clear aims and remits would have acted effectively and efficiently to send such atrocities to Timbuck Two.

End the War? You could have kept the sports bar open?!

Vainglory wrote:
    Il Mondo???

Arrrgh, no. Tackiest decorations in the world, fact.

You mean the Roman Architecture isn't authentic?!
    Bad design, good atmosphere - just like UCD I say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

What?! Yes but a weights room and a pub maybe??????????????????? They can't take away the sports bar its the only cool bar on campus where the admittedly lovely but disturbingly orange people do not congress (Don't make me live out my alcoholic future in the student bar)

Lets not make this into a 2nd SU thread but this is exactly where a committed and unidirectional union with clear aims and remits would have acted effectively and efficiently to send such atrocities to Timbuck Two.

End the War? You could have kept the sports bar open?!

no, jsut a weights room.

Just wasn't doing the business it used to. Don't think any of the bars on campus are these days.

Anyway SU would have no influence on the Sports Bar closure. Its a privatley run bar, doubt they'd give a flying f**k what the SU thought. (Bit like the majority of ucd Students ;-) )

• Advertisement

irlrobins wrote:
    no, jsut a weights room.

Just wasn't doing the business it used to. Don't think any of the bars on campus are these days.

Anyway SU would have no influence on the Sports Bar closure. Its a privatley run bar, doubt they'd give a flying f**k what the SU thought. (Bit like the majority of ucd Students ;-) )

My friends and I contribute a minor fortune to that bar I'll have you know! Seriously wtf is wrong with UCD? Getting rid of arguably the bar with the best atmosphere in the whole entire college. At least if there's any consolation to come of this is that they'll improve the weights facilities in the gym. But I doubt it - it'll probably end up as a tanning centre for the orange people. Grr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Its going to end up as a place for elite athelethes (sp) and a meeting room for clubs. The forum has been renamed the "central bar" or something like that, and plans to refurbish upstairs as a sports bar. I'll miss the sports bar though, was there every Tuesday evening after training for 3 years!

blondie83 wrote:
    Its going to end up as a place for elite athelethes (sp) and a meeting room for clubs. The forum has been renamed the "central bar" or something like that, and plans to refurbish upstairs as a sports bar. I'll miss the sports bar though, was there every Tuesday evening after training for 3 years!

What do you mean by a place for elite athletes, to do what? And how elite I mean do you have to be on a national team or just a UCD team?

You know what this all means... During the obligatory noverlty period, we shall be infiltrated. We are no longer on the dark side of the moon (campus)

Dutch Gold in the hurling field it is then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Economaniac!

Can anyone tell me is Il Mondo in Ranelagh a kids night on a wednesday night? its always packed out on wednesday but the ppl look in the 15-18 age group, i was just wondering is this official or is it just easy to get in for kids.

I was there on the opening of Il Mondo when Jordan was there etc, nice place, that night it was full of celebs and a free bar. I've been there once since on a saturday night and the place was literally empty, we had free passes so it didnt cost but all there was in the club was my mates and the bar staff! Has it picked up since? i`m surprised to see it on any list! Aswell as Tramco which basically is a weekend getaway for the knackers in the rathmines flats!

I find barcode grand, loadsa ppl from ucd, cheap drink, dart above it and within walking distance of town!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Dutch Gold in the hurling field it is then...
    Aren't you posh! Is homebrew in a field not good enough?

While we're at it, what's everyones favourite drinking spot in Belfield. MY vote is for the convenient tree trunks beside the stream near the new Conway Building. Moving to under the tree if it rains.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I prefer to stick to the bars - it's just too damn cold around the campus for knacker drinking. There's always the balconys outside the sports centre now that the bar is gone!

I was there on the opening of Il Mondo when Jordan was there etc, nice place, that night it was full of celebs and a free bar. I've been there once since on a saturday night and the place was literally empty,

Jordan was in Il Mondo? I was born too late janey mac imagining being a drunk student for that!

Random students: Hey lads its yer one hey giveus a go of yer tits!
    <all converge on the twins>

Amazing.

Anyway you should go there again during term when all the UCD Posse are about its mental mad. Jordons minging in her face and in her brain though isnt she

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

1. Moda, Rathmines. Lovely place to chill, kick back and relax. I'd rename it Rancho Relaxo, but what can ya do?

2. Brady's, Terenure. Nice atmosphere, great beer garden, good screens as well if you wanna watch sports. Which I do. They even show Cricket! I love that f**kin' place...

3. Doyle's, D'Olier St. Best pints of Guinness in Ireland, and therefore the world. Sound barstaff and doormen, great atmosphere, good place for a chat and a dance. Sometimes has live music as well. Saw Damian Rice there before he was famous, and on the evidence of that night, before he had talent.

4. Eamonn Doran's, Templebar. Three words: 3 Euro Tuesdays. Oh yes. Every drink is 3 Euro on a tuesday, man alive it's fantastic. Generally, I'd think of the place as a) a bit of a toilet, and b) a place I left behind along with my teen angst. But 3 euro a drink? Not to be sniffed at.

5. Madison, Rathmines. Nice enuff. I think they've extended the beer garden as well, so should be even more wicked. Another place with a cool, relaxed atmosphere, much like Moda but bigger and boozier.

Seb when did that whinger ever have talent he sounds like a mixture between a dying cat and a drunken fool who can't play the guitar so he just strums away while the crowd disperse.

Anyway apologies to my comerades, I should have mentioned the nightclub in Portobello as no.1... its called Temptation but I think Porto is the general nominative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

mmmmmmmmmmmporterhouse.....

larryone wrote:
    Can't believe I forgot that place. I must really be slipping.

Long Stone is nice as well, does good pints of guinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

larryone wrote:

ABFM!!!!

boneless wrote:
    ABFM!!!!
    Ok, I don't know what that actually stands for, but is it by any chance;
    Absolutely
    Bloody
    F**king
    Marvellous?

Btw, even if that's not what it stands for, I prefer my version! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

SebtheBum wrote:
    Ok, I don't know what that actually stands for, but is it by any chance;
    Absolutely
    Bloody
    F**king
    Marvellous?

Btw, even if that's not what it stands for, I prefer my version! :D

Close enough... you still get a cigar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Johnson

Seb when did that whinger ever have talent he sounds like a mixture between a dying cat and a drunken fool who can't play the guitar so he just strums away while the crowd disperse.

Anyway apologies to my comerades, I should have mentioned the nightclub in Portobello as no.1... its called Temptation but I think Porto is the general nominative

You must be the culchiest culchie in all of culchiedom. Coppers, Il mondo and Portobello. Do ye wear your Wranglers and county jersey to those places?

Mulligans on Poolbeg Street does a better pint of Guinness than Doyles. FACT!

• Advertisement

Johnson wrote:
    You must be the culchiest culchie in all of culchiedom. Coppers, Il mondo and Portobello. Do ye wear your Wranglers and county jersey to those places?

Only on county colours! And no Im not the biggest culchie Tyrone is hardly the back and beyond of Co Ofally and I was born in, and lived in Dublin for the first fourteen years. Not that theres any shame in being a culchie which I think only refers to one particular type of person from non-dublin.

Admittedly these clubs are full of the true culchies, but when youre drunk who gives a toss everybodys too polluted to even remember where they live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

My fav place in dublin is flannerys on camden street-its the only pub in dublin thats packed every night of the week and i lived their last year!Its great craic and everyone is so friendly there is no pretentiousness(is that a word?) and everyones just there to have a great time and not to look cool!

panda100 wrote:
    My fav place in dublin is flannerys on camden street-its the only pub in dublin thats packed every night of the week

I fell down the stairs there!

Advertisement