Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream Theater

Options
  • 05-09-2005 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

My friend gave me "Scenes from a memory" recently and I have to say after listening to it a few times it is one of my top 10 cds of all time. From beginning to end it is amazing. John Petrucci is a great guitarist - he is playing G3 this year with Satriani and Vai.
    http://www.concertshots.com/images/cs-JohnPetrucci2-Atlanta71901.JPG

Anyone into Dream Theater? Or can recommend some more of their albums?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=287639&highlight=dream+theater

It's a damn shame they won't come to Ireland with the G3 tour :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

yeah that was the cd that got me listenin to them guy as well...hope that g3 gig comes out on dvd...legendary stuff that'd be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I missed that thread..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

You should check out 'Awake' next imo...

jcoote wrote:
    yeah that was the cd that got me listenin to them guy as well...hope that g3 gig comes out on dvd...legendary stuff that'd be

Actually, I'm just listening to G3 with Satch/Vai/Malmsteen. I'd love to hear one with Petrucci. It's the second time he's toured with them but this time it's only in Japan afaik and it won't be recorded :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

'Scenes' is my favourite album of theirs. I'd go for 'Awake' or 'Images and Words' next.

thats a bollix i'm sure a bootleg will be around no???

Hopefully so. I've a video of Satch, Vai and Petrucci playing La Grange on their last tour and a couple of Petrucci's (at the time) unreleased solo tracks.

suspended animation stuff is it???

i'd really like to see that hmm i wonder

na thought i might have been able to get it but its nowhere to be seen :(

• Advertisement

Yup, SA stuff. I only have mp3's of it, no videos unfortunately.

haven't heard that is that floydie as the title suggests

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

I'd say "scenes from a memory" is my favourite album of theirs, I'd suggest to get "Images & words" next that being my next favourite ;)

Plus I'll have to go and get the dvd/cd of the G3 gig with Vai/Satriani & Malmsteen. All of which are amazing guitarists ;)

jcoote wrote:
    haven't heard that is that floydie as the title suggests

Floydie?

This thread reminds me. Must pick up my Vai ticket soon.

like pink floyd fey??? the title is like a title of a floyd album (actually suspended animation is a lyric in learning to fly by floyd)

yeah must get mine soon too

Admittedly, not the biggest fan.

I just hope they aren't sold out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Metropolis Pt2: Scenes From A Memory was the first DT album I got aswell, excellent stuff. I'd probably recommend Falling Into Infinity next.

do they have like a 'best of' collection or anything

Live at Budokan is probably your best bet.

Indeed, Live at Budokan is an amazing show.

• Advertisement

cheers lads i'll get a hold of that somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Kilgore-Trout

Live Scenes From New York is also a good one to get. has the entire Scenes From a memory album and loads of other stuff played live(including the epic a change of seasons, which includes a very la villa strangiato-esque solo by petrucci!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

I love Train of Thought, any recommendations for what next, Scenes from a Memory?
    I'm a little offput that many say Train of Thought is not 'typical' DT ... is this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I love Train of Thought, any recommendations for what next, Scenes from a Memory?
    I'm a little offput that many say Train of Thought is not 'typical' DT ... is this right?

yeah, pretty much. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence would be a good next move, or if you want to jump in the deep end, Awake.

Train Of Thought, Six Degress, Images And Words... Dream Theater have a lot of quality stuff, it's hard to know where to begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

I'd probably recommend Falling Into Infinity next.

The only time that answer should ever be given is when the question is:

"Hey, I have everything Dream Theater have ever done, EXCEPT Falling Into Infinity. What's my next step!!!!!!!!!!one111!!!?"

Seriously that album is mediocre at best. It has it's moments (Peruvian Skies) and it's not the worst DT album (Train Of Thought) but it's nowhere near second best.

I'd say the big 3 DT albums are Awake, Images & Words and Scenes. Everything else must be purchased after those 3 have been bought.

Advertisement