Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IRISHWAN access...

• 05-09-2005 9:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

hi all,

i just moved house at the weekend and as usual i have to wait days for eircom to hook up the phone line then the line test etc...

But lastnight i set up my PC and my wireless software picked up IRISHWAN/IRISHWAN-MOUNTARGUS. With signal strength of 60% anyone know who to contact about getting access to this?
    How much does it cost?
    if i get my broadband in can i setup a node and join Irishwan?
    Can you download using it and game?
    Anyone use it here?

there does not seem to be much activity on the IRISHWAN web site hense asking the questions here.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

hence your username :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 remover

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭fearrchair

The forum may seem slow but there is a lot going on in the background.

If you have Mirc check out irc.irishwan.org channel #limerickwan #galwaywan

A lot of knowlegable people are on most nights.

I am connected myself here in Galway. It is a hobbiest network with people connecting to each other by means of a wireless link. It is when one of these people have a good net connection and have agreed to share it with you with some conditions that you could get net access.

www.irish-wan.com
    http://www.skynet.ie/~stephen/wireless/faqs.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

I can assure you theres alot of work going on on Irishwan but its a more DIY approach. Trust me its very easy to setup a Wrap board and some cable.

The hardest part of it all is ordering parts and doing a line of site test(i failed).

Anyone who lives on a highest point above surrounding area is probably of great interest to this group.

Plus it has another major advantage in that no ISP or Company own it.

As for Lazygit 60pc is a good signal. A directional antenna and a wrap board will get u cristal signal.

With that strong a signal you will probly get away with a home made bean can antenna(Big bean can). Go to the irishwan forum because depending on setup can cost from 400 euro to under 100.

You looking at a cheap connection because your right on top of that signal and you can consider that ur line of site test passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Jaeger

I've line of sight to a node a few miles away from me, but the lads in my area are damn hard to get a hold of. Spoke to the admin of SEwan over a year ago and he sent a lad down to me to check it out, and he managed to get the impression that I had no PC... never heard from him again.

Tempted to buy the equipment and set it all up, but I'll still be unable to connect without their input.

Info from anyone who's set it up in the SouthEast would be a deadly thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement