Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticknock in the papers

Options
  • 05-09-2005 10:06am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone see the article about the range in Ticknock in yesterdays Tribune? Missed it my self, how did it look?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Cheers. Club site is ver quiet. The whole planning thing is bad news. I get the feeling that there is no way that they will even give it a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I love how TD Mitchell says that the gun club are all amateurs and therefore couldn't be responsible enough to run a range. :mad:
    Dammit, this kind of crap is exactly why every club needs a dedicated PRO!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

She's really annoys me... I really think she's plucking stuff out of thin air in relation to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

the gun club are all amateurs and therefore couldn't be responsible enough to run a range

Ditto..! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Smirky

Well one thing that has come to light is the fact that The Planning Dept have put an official order in place regarding the site, as a result I would imagine that the Club will have to apply for retention planning or change of use or else fight it with a legal challenge in the Courts. Doesn't look good that the "camouflage" clad club members interviewed were not aware that they could be potentially breaking the law by developing the site as a range and had no knowledge of the Order issued over a week before. Either way it is going to be a bureacratic nightmare for certainly the next few months.

As annoying as ever in this debate, the fact that the scramblers & mountainbikers are a) banned by Coilte anyway & b) have never had rights to be trespassing on this land, has only been skimmed over. Neither of these parties have any valid debate on the matter.

As for the pony trekking comment, one would have thought that the noise & danger from unregulated scramblers would be a bigger issue, yet she sides with them!

Interesting point made that the range was closed down all those years ago as a result of safety concerns, I wonder how true that is?

While I am completely pro this going ahead & would join in an instant I must say I am dissapointed in how the club are handling it in the media & on the boards. Rod's statement at the end of the article was anaemic at best and unless the reporter was biased and excluded his key points, I don't think he did any favours for the cause.

In the meantime I think all we frustrated punters can do is watch from the sidelines and gripe when the opposition successfully manage to get their fundamentally flawed views aired while our side stays quiet!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Smirky wrote:
    Rod's statement at the end of the article was anaemic at best and unless the reporter was biased and excluded his key points, I don't think he did any favours for the cause.

I would be inclined to tend towards the latter (her being biased/excluding his argument).
    I was at the range on Saturday, and whilst I wasn't listening in (was trying to get a bit done) Rod gave her the tour and spoke to her for about an hour. Frankly, I was very suprised that she included so little comment from him and so little of the club's perspective in the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Ammoman

Smirky wrote:
    Well one thing that has come to light is the fact that The Planning Dept have put an official order in place regarding the site, as a result I would imagine that the Club will have to apply for retention planning or change of use or else fight it with a legal challenge in the Courts. Doesn't look good that the "camouflage" clad club members interviewed were not aware that they could be potentially breaking the law by developing the site as a range and had no knowledge of the Order issued over a week before. Either way it is going to be a bureacratic nightmare for certainly the next few months.

As annoying as ever in this debate, the fact that the scramblers & mountainbikers are a) banned by Coilte anyway & b) have never had rights to be trespassing on this land, has only been skimmed over. Neither of these parties have any valid debate on the matter.

As for the pony trekking comment, one would have thought that the noise & danger from unregulated scramblers would be a bigger issue, yet she sides with them!

Interesting point made that the range was closed down all those years ago as a result of safety concerns, I wonder how true that is?

While I am completely pro this going ahead & would join in an instant I must say I am dissapointed in how the club are handling it in the media & on the boards. Rod's statement at the end of the article was anaemic at best and unless the reporter was biased and excluded his key points, I don't think he did any favours for the cause.

In the meantime I think all we frustrated punters can do is watch from the sidelines and gripe when the opposition successfully manage to get their fundamentally flawed views aired while our side stays quiet!

I was speaking to Rod in the LRPC , the order was issued on 2nd Sept , that was friday and was only recieved today by post , I hate the way that everything the papers or TDs say is Anti gun, rod has put up a comment on their site have a look , it might straighten out a few of your comments , as he says you cant make the press or anyone else use the correct information given to them. And the statement that was at the end wasnt made by anyone on the range they made it up . Maybe you should all have a read of their site before you spout off. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Maybe you should all have a read of their site before you spout off.
    Illustrative of the point I was trying to make regarding PROs. Unless you're putting the information out there proactively, people (even informed people) will, in the absence of anything else, come to their own conclusions.
    Which is why the PRO is a necessary role - right now the LRPC needs to be hitting every paper, national and local, every radio station, every TV station, every TD in the area; there shouldn't be a journalist in any paper who hasn't had a phone call on this, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Smirky

Relax Ammoman - believe it or not I am on your side and am anxious to see this range open & successful!

These Boards are for comment and information sharing on topics & that is exactly what is going on! We comment on the basis of the information that is to hand at that time and rely on our fellow Boarders to fill in the gaps and straighten us out when we get it wrong.

I have since seen your post on Rod's comments, along with Samsons productive & informative post, and was delighted to see Rod's response while obviously disgusted to see the level to which the Tribune ignored the facts given to them & leant on the side of sensationalism instead of balanced reporting.

I agree that we should all send a mail to LRPC showing our support and would suggest that in addition a more public show of support could be manifested by us all writing to the Editor of the Tribune (15 Lower Baggot St Dublin 4) disclosing the true facts of the matter and asking for a correction or follow up article to be printed that shows profesional, balanced news reporting. Fight fire with fire I say.

As for my "spouting off", that's what we have all been doing on these threads so maybe point your frustration & anger at more positive and productive chanells instead of in-fighting with other people who support the cause but who may not be quite as up to speed on info as you are.

S

• Advertisement
Advertisement