Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out!

Options
  • 05-09-2005 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭

Im on the verge of getting a racing bike with a with to do some long distance cycling, ive got €600.........

whats the best to go for off this page?

Or if anyone has an experience of buying a bike around athlone would help greatly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

money talks when it comes to a good bike, so the best to go for is the most expensive one that your budget allows. From that page it would be the Raleigh Airlite Road 100 '05 or the Claud Butler San Remo '05

That might sound a bit simple, but it's true. The more expensive the bike, the better it is.

[edit] if buying from a reputable dealer!

KR

• Registered Users Posts: 24 fignon03

Id say the Giant is the better bike at your price range, you should also call into your local trek dealer as they often have end of line offers, and may still do intrest free finance offers on more expensive models. To echo what the previous respondant said,
    "you get what you pay for" and this often means an average frame with basic components which will need to be upgraded in time. Check out some of the UK cycling mags, cycling plus etc for reviews , and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

True enough King Raam, i dont intend on skimping but im not gonna spend the earth on my first bike (in case i hit my first hill and decide that cycling aint for me lol).

I will certainly do my research, never thought of cycling mags so i will hit easons later cheers fignon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Quick update.....

was offered a Trek 1200 '04 model for €700, he just wants to clear it out. I think its a good deal considering the rrp is 850 approx!

what does you think, shall i go for it. i have it put aside until tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Looks pretty good to me. The components might not be the best out there, but trek is a good make, you get carbon forks to absorb some of the bumps, and you're not paying to much. For a first bike, I'd say it'll do the job.

M

• Advertisement
Advertisement