Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyprus and Faroes will open Group 4 up on Wednesday.

• 05-09-2005 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭

I really think the Faroes can do a job on Israel and take a point.

the Swiss will be well tested by Cyprus.

watch this space.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Its amazing how we come up with this crazy theories when we really need them to happen..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

not crazy.
    Swiss at home only beat Cyprus 1-0 with a late one.

Israel are rubbish and have led a charmed existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

yea its a thinker alright, israel are doing a bolton and getting results against the bigger teams, against the smaller countries they might loose a point or two.

to be honest its the swiss i'd be more worried about as our rivals for the play off sport. after wednesday i think the outcome of the group will be decided. if france beat us, they'll win the group and we wont take second. if we win, we'll top the group & if we draw we'll take the playoffs.

we shouldnt be relying on other teams anyway, we've it all in our own hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

If I had money to put on these two games it would be going on Switzerland and Israel. Can't see either of them losing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Pal wrote:
    not crazy.
    Swiss at home only beat Cyprus 1-0 with a late one.

Israel are rubbish and have led a charmed existence.

You are crazy buddy.. The Swiss result was a freakish result and won't happen again.. The Swiss give 100% to make sure of it..

And Israel are better than most, including you, give them credit for..

One may come off but if you are so sure of it, put your money where your mouth is and give me some decent odds...

• Advertisement

Faroes are OK at home. Not good but OK.
    We didn't find it easy at all.
    I watched Faroes v France live and the French were seriously fortunate.
    The Faroes really did let them off the hook.
    The part-timer fishermen missed a bagful of chances.
    Remember Austria some few years ago getting beat by them !

Can anybody really say Israel are any good ?
    They have muddled through so far and in reality are
    a second rate outfit. one handy midfielder and a truly
    unprofessional goalkeeper is about all they have.
    we should have beat them twice, so should have France.
    It's incomprehensible that they pulled out 4 draws but they did
    and not through good football.
    They've just been lucky.
    No surprise they got two draws against the Swiss as they're both equally poor.

Cyprus are no mugs and well capable
    of holding the Swiss who are a bunch of hoof-it-up-the-field plodders.
    As I see it, the Swiss rely on Alexander Frei diving.
    Hardly inspirational qualifying material.
    They did stuff the Faroes 6-0 but I put that down to a freak result.
    Away to Cyprus is much more daunting and far from certain.
    In any event, France will do them yet and do them well.

What odds one of the unfancied 'lessers' get a point on Wednesday ?

If either Cyprus or Faroes manage a draw, then their opponent is
    most likely out of the Group 4 race.

I will revisit my prediction on Thursday to eat humble pie if
    neccessary, but right now I've got a feeling something
    unexpected in this group might just play out.

You are crazy buddy.. The Swiss result was a freakish result and won't happen again.. The Swiss give 100% to make sure of it..

And Israel are better than most, including you, give them credit for..

One may come off but if you are so sure of it, put your money where your mouth is and give me some decent odds...

I don't gamble, have no idea what any actual result will be and am not crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

If you don't gamle, why are you asking the question "what odds on one of the 'lessers'...

Is the text of your last post pasted from elsewhere?

To be fair, I gamble but I wouldn't back either Switzerland or Israel to win on Wednesday. France and Ireland are the two best teams in this group, our trouble is proving it.

If you don't gamle, why are you asking the question "what odds on one of the 'lessers'...

the question is rhetorical for emphasis.
    it's my opinion. that's all.
    Pedantic football fans r us

Is the text of your last post pasted from elsewhere?
    no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Only time will tell I guess, but the massive odds on the Faroe's and Cyprans (Apres Match, hehe) winning reflect how unlikely it is.

they will hardly win.

either of them.

but one of them might take a single point and change the whole nature of the group.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Pal wrote:
    Can anybody really say Israel are any good ?
    On par with Switzerland I'd say.
    Pal wrote:
    one handy midfielder and a truly
    unprofessional goalkeeper is about all they have.
    Awat doesn't play for Israel any more. Sacked/Retired.
    Pal wrote:
    we should have beat them twice, so should have France.
    It's incomprehensible that they pulled out 4 draws but they did
    This is the common perception of most Irish people. Israel played very well at home to France. Trezeguet got sent off and France just sat back. Actually, this was worse than our sitting back in Switzerland. They were rattled. No matter what, if Israel were not a decent team the French wouldn't have sat back. Even when Israel scored they kept pushing on. France were happy with a point at that stage. They were making late substitutions to waste time and Israel were cutting them open easily.

At home to Switzerland they should have won. Benayoun played with them for most of the match. Again they created so many chances. They made it look easily easy. Against us, they gave us too much respect (they see us as the best in the group) and just sat back. Their gameplan was to catch us on the break. Roy must have known this as he just wanted to keep possession and not attack. For all the talk about us not attacking, the ironic thing is the Israel goal came after shot, the keeper saved it, Israel get possession. What do they do with the possession? Score a goal.
    VinnyL wrote:
    if france beat us, they'll win the group and we wont take second. if we win, we'll top the group & if we draw we'll take the playoffs.
    If France beat us, we'll most likely get 2nd with 2 wins in the last 2 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

dont bet on us to beat cyprus and the swiss, can any one say macedonia...

Liechtenstein

Advertisement