Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

joining 2+ avi files into one

Options
  • 05-09-2005 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

I tried using XP's movie maker to join two large avi files (700 mb each, same bitrate, resolution etc) but it killed movie maker. What else can i use to do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 VOG

try virtual dub...its free and has tones of features

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Yup, Virtual Dub is what ya need. Very easy to join two clips but of course, it'll be a 1.4gig file.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Very easy with Virtual Dub, just beware of not losing the audio sync between file 1 and file 2 - if it happens, plenty of FAQs about, just Google it.

Depending on your hardware, you may just want to test the join first without fiddling too much with the audio setting:

(i) open your file 1 in vdub
    (ii) click file menu > append
    (iii) select file 2 in the filesystem pop-up box & OK-it
    (iv) click file menu > save as

Bob's your uncle... so he says :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

forgot to mention these are mpeg4 format avi's. it make a difference?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Nope.

• Advertisement

ambro25 wrote:
    Very easy with Virtual Dub, just beware of not losing the audio sync between file 1 and file 2 - if it happens, plenty of FAQs about, just Google it.

Depending on your hardware, you may just want to test the join first without fiddling too much with the audio setting:

(i) open your file 1 in vdub
    (ii) click file menu > append
    (iii) select file 2 in the filesystem pop-up box & OK-it
    (iv) click file menu > save as

Bob's your uncle... so he says biggrin.gif

just leaving it on default settings is telling me its going to be 93623.79mb!!!!
    That cant be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

It's saving the video uncompressed. Goto "Video" and set it to Direct Stream Copy and save again.

That did the trick!

Cheers All!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 PoiBoi_Patch

best shot is to get avi joiner it has a 30 day tial and takes less than 1 min to join files it also does mpeg,mpg and rm files too best catch of the day i say

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gnarlyone

ya could jsut get your hands on a copy of adobe premiere and do it through that..or use any dvd authoring software such as adobe encore...or dvdit pro by pinnacle...or any basic video editing software (NOT movie maker, its crap)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Pricey vs free, i wonder which i'd choose :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gnarlyone

yeah free is always better mate..
    all i meant is that if its for a once off job get access to a better piece of software if he can. alot of people have premiere knocking bout,just meant could prob 'use' theirs..
    obv shareware n freeware is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 PoiBoi_Patch

well i could always provide the crack for it lol

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

As long as it's done elsewhere, as in not on this (or any other) Board.

Advertisement