Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Subaru STI 97-2000

• 05-09-2005 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hello all

Just a quick question.considering getting a Subaru STI.
    i will be looking to get in about years time.
    if i where to buy one now i would be looking at getting one between 1997-2000.
    obviously because of the money.

i see a lot for sale being advertised as STI's on websites but my problem is that i thought all STI's had the STI letters in pink on the bumpers.
    Does this go for all STI's even ones going back to 97 or am i talkin crap

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I am not a big scooby fan but i think STI in Pink in for the Spec C made in Japan. No?

I have heard whispers about this Spec C and its meant to be mad hot. Get one if can find one.

Alternatively get an RX 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Your talking crap... badges mean nothing .. Some maybe Jap Spec Some maybe Euro Spec some maybe RA's RS's etc ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 sohandy

hey lads thanks for the replies

Junior as you can obvioulsy tell dont know difference between different STI models.
    Hopefully you know a bit about them yourself.
    what is the top model or what would you recommend.

thanks

I wouldn't reccommend one.... at all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

hehe an evo man :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭xtrac

It depends on what you want really.

The Scooby is a more refined car, easier to live with day to day, the evo is a faster car, its what you want to live with at the end of the day.

As an everyday road car, aslong as your not looking to "live your life a 1/4 mile at a time" then you'd be hard to fault a scooby.

As for the STI, the standard Irish/UK/euro spec (210-240bhp) classic shape (upto and incl 00) is more than a match for 99% of the drivers in this country.

If you can get the end of a scooby before it gets to the end of you on a R road over here, your some lunatic. And yes, Junior, I'm talking about you brother. :D

-Roy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

If you can find one and have the cash, the P1's or 22B's are the main threat :eek: about as rare as hens teeth.

The P1 is a 3 door so looks sportier that the average scoob.

xtrac wrote:
    It depends on what you want really.

The Scooby is a more refined car, easier to live with day to day, the evo is a faster car, its what you want to live with at the end of the day.

As an everyday road car, aslong as your not looking to "live your life a 1/4 mile at a time" then you'd be hard to fault a scooby.

As for the STI, the standard Irish/UK/euro spec (210-240bhp) classic shape (upto and incl 00) is more than a match for 99% of the drivers in this country.

If you can get the end of a scooby before it gets to the end of you on a R road over here, your some lunatic. And yes, Junior, I'm talking about you brother. :D

-Roy

Hello Brother..

As Xtrac has quiet rightly pointed out the Evo is the more focused of the two battling brothers, it's qualities will make a driving god out of you, how as ever the scooby, has a tendency to understeer when pushed on the tight stuff, but this has been dialled out with the later models and the Current Spec C is arguably better than the Evo 9 GT.

I loved my Evo to bits, and was sorry it had to go, but keeping 400 Bhp under control was tough. I don't live my life quarter mile at time, I do live it one hot stage at a time, unlike my brother who's much more conservative and not interested in that sort of stuff.

The 22B is the ultimate collectors Scooby - wide arches 2.2 Engine, but is let down by the short ratio box, and tops out quiet quickly as a result.

The Evo also has a more demanding servicing schedule than the Impreza, but both need to be looked after properly, if you have to ask how much for a service, realistically and bluntly you can't afford it. You can spend 800 quid on a diff service .. etc..

Being honest, I'd take an Evo 6 everyday of the week, but would have it mapped for pump fuel and would run it on standard suspension. But if your not a nut job like me who thinks every B road is a hot stage then the Impreza would be your wagon..

Brother fancy giving me that German prepared yoke you've got for a spin some night ?

Full of the Pipe

- Junior

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Seen a type 3 uk impreza, not so long ago, whats the crack with them, it was a 97

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

If (note the IF ;) ) i ever was to think about buyng something like a rice car,then am Mitsu Evo would be my choice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭xtrac

Folks,

Junior speaks the truth above, heed his words wisely :-) Amen Brother

-Roy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I have a newer WRX myself and I'd highly recommend one. The STI models do suck a lot more juice. From full to low level light I'd do on average 280-300 miles, whereas my friend in his STI would do 220-230 max. That's a big percentage and with the way fuel costs are going...Also, the STI models always have stiffer "sportier" suspension as well, so they aren't quite as suitable for every day driving / long distance / comfort.

Evo's are also great cars. They definitely cost more to run & service and I don't think they look as nice. I personally think the handling is better on my Subaru, but I didn't get too long in an Evo admittedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 sohandy

hey all

thanks again for all the replies appreciate it.

the main reason i would go for the scoob over n evo is purely for looks.
    the Evo has never done it for me to look at but the Scoob has done it every time.
    thougth of having 400bhp at your control deffinately gets your heart racing.
    very ince

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Um,

A scooby is not an everyday car. It has turbo lag, its high on maintainence and sucks juice. It is an awesome drive - but sadly not always what its made out to be. Older pre Bug Eye versions had issues with fuel octane etc, older ones had issues with brakes and suspension. Pre 99 is a problem generally.

The Evo I dont know much about. They are nice - but are expensive and require more servicing etc. I believe the suspension / electronics is involved and this is waht costs to have checked / fixed.

A WRX (or EVO) is not an everyday car - especially for town / city driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

I went to go look at a WRX in Wexford that was sold the day before - I ended up buying a SAAB Viggen - something completely different - no real lag - and certainly quick enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 CorporalCarrot

Sohandy,

The best advice I could give you before buying one of these cars is to go over to the forums at scoobynet

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/

Which I think are the biggest Subaru forums on the net. Theres a bunch of helpful people over there that can steer you in the right direction, know all the different models and variants, will be able to tell you the pros and cons of each, jap imports, what to watch out for etc etc etc

Considering the type of car it is (by its very nature you will get some examples that have been thrashed within an inch of their lives), if you are really serious its worth investing some time over there before buying. Otherwise you could end up with a very expensive headache.

Scoobs have very good reputations for reliability, but you need to understand that the performance versions are approaching the limits of what you can do in terms of power for a 2000 cc capacity engine, are highly tuned, and when they get into 70+k miles, if they haven't been looked after, you will have problems.

The folks at scoobynet will know everything there is to know about buying one of these secondhand.

C

Advertisement