Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay in UCD

Options
  • 05-09-2005 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭

What's it like being gay in UCD. Does sexuality become insignificant in the anonymity of such a big university and in fact theUniversity experience, or is there still some stigma attatched?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Well, Im not gay personally so I don't really know.

But we have a fairly active lgbt, and a gay week (i'm almost certian it isn't actually called gay week, but I can't remember). I really don't think there's a lot of stigma, certainly not in any of the groups I hang around in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

I personally see the benefit of straight week where everybody shags the brains out of their fellow students and just to spice it up a bit *lecturers included* as long as the acadaemia are of a certain age and are hot!

Yeah I know thats not the point of gay week or whatever etc etc etc etc etc etc bet it happens tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

a gay week (i'm almost certian it isn't actually called gay week, but I can't remember).
    It was called "Pride Week" in my day.
    I personally see the benefit of straight week where everybody shags the brains out of their fellow students and just to spice it up a bit *lecturers included* as long as the acadaemia are of a certain age and are hot!
    Funnily enough I met my ex-wife at a Pride Week event, different-sex couplings are not banned from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Well I'm bi, and I've gay friends, and I nor they have ever had any problems in UCD. I don't go out of my way to make a big deal of it though, but if ppl ask I'm not going to lie about who I am. From my experience, sexuality isn't really discussed all that much-sex is but, what way u swing isn't all that important.

People are generally fairly easy going and if they arent well feck them ur in uni to have a good time (and learn stuff to-other than how many pints can i have before I fall down..). The LGBT are great bunch of ppl, never was a member of it, not enuf time, but I know a few who were and they went on their weekend away and it was good fun. If I were u I'd join the LGBT, and c how u get on.

But in this day and age I'd be surprised if u encountered any sh1t. Sure Seamus (can't remember his surname-was one of the ents officers bout a yr or 2 ago) is one of the most popular, loved fellas on campus and he's as camp and gay as they come-and lovely of course, nicest lad ever-he knows everyone-jaysus.

Anyway, OP don't worry about it, it's college!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

they have SHAG week which is Sexual Health Awareness Guide week or something like that.... where the LGBTQ make a big deal. if ur gay, joint the LGBTQ... which in my opinion should have an S? and where'es the Men's socitiey eh? (im a white male hetrosexual aged 18-25 and im the ignored minority, i base this on the fact that more females attend 3rd level education then males)

Join whatever societies u want. sexuallity is only a big deal (in a negative way) to the biggoted. u shouldnt just hang out with other homosexuals or whatever. if the people who are/become ur friends cant accept who you are then they're no good as friends find new ones. UCD is big. and worst comes to worst, u can be my friend. im cool and i have no prejudices.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I don't think it matters in UCD (and it sure as hell shouldn't) what way you swing - most people are very laid back so there's nothing to worry about! I'm firmly in the straight camp but i know a good few gay people from college and work, and they say UCD's a great place so i guess it is!

Get to know the LGBT people if you've got time, as they can be very helpful in the unlikely event that you've a problem on campus. Also don't be afraid to complain if you feel threatened by something a lecturer or student does - any discrimination/stigma/whatever that still exists is a damn shame.

And finally...
    ...come to the boards beers!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I know a few people who've been in the LGBTQ soc in UCD. On the whole I think UCD is pretty relaxed and non-judgemental and I would hightly reccomend getting involved in the society - I met the incoming auditor last week and she seems very friendly and very eager to make the society welcoming to everyone

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Johnson

Gay Seamus annoys me. Grrrrr.

Thats not what the dude wants to hear you twat. BTW lets nobody get excited now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Thats not what the dude wants to hear you twat.

Yea but Seamus could annoy people cos of who he is, not what he is....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

irlrobins wrote:
    Yea but Seamus could annoy people cos of who he is, not what he is....
    Exactly. Just cos he's Gay doesn't make him God's gift, just as it shouldn't have any detrimental effect on what anyone thinks of him.

Me? I think he's a dick, but it's nothing to do with him being gay.

I know a one or two ppl from the LGBT as well as a few gay ppl from boards. Doesn't really affect how I think of em or anythin tbh. *Shrugs*

OK

*digs to Alana for bringing Seamus into the discussion - not a good example*

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Alana wrote:
    Sure Seamus (can't remember his surname-was one of the ents officers bout a yr or 2 ago) is one of the most popular, loved fellas on campus

LMAO! Yeah, himself and Fungus were incredibly popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Well excuse me for having an opinion lads, I like the guy, yes he can be a bit ott, but so what, no ones perfect. :rolleyes:

I was trying to show that when you come to UCD that they won't flipping ostracise you for being gay, and that some gay ppl have a visibl impact on college life without their sexuality being the main issue. Maybe should have used "well known instead" instead, jeez...trust boardies.

Maybe Johnnymcg would like to give a better example....? :p Seamus isn't the issue here, the OP just is looking for reassurnce that he wont be treated like a pariah, which OP you won't

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

no, no one gets otricised for being gay in ucd, that said if you are gay theres no need to act like Jack from Will & Grace either. there's this BS gay stereotype that guys think they need to follow.

whatever happened to the non-camp gay guy? the Man's Gay Man if you will...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

like.........gandalf. now he was straight mans gay man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Johnson

Thats not what the dude wants to hear you twat. BTW lets nobody get excited now

His personality annoys me, not the fact that he enjoys buggering/being buggered up the arse. If it was his homosexuality that annoyed me, I would have said that all gay people annoy me. So think next time before you become so shocked and indignant, dude.

Yes sorry about that, thought you were saying sth else, and also evidently I am the only person in Belfield who doesnt know this gay seamus. In fact I can safely say I dont know any gay people in UCD though a friend of mine once met one and said that she was delightful and they had a jolly old shag - ding dong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

OP - You'll find in UCD and any 3rd level college that there is rarely any stigma attached to people who are homosexual in comparison to 2nd level. Of course there will be some homophobic people anywhere you will go but they are in the minority. Be comfortable with who you are and you'll be grand. Still hang out with straight people though as they are cool aswell! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

UCD's just like real life - some people are idiots, some are not. I can't recall seeing or hearing about any significant anti-gay incidents while i was there - that doesn't mean ucd is perfectly harmonious, but it's not a bad place overall.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Yeah leave the homophobes alone. They're usually not much fun for straight people to hang around with either - my school was full of those guys.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Actually, homophobes are incredibly fun to wind up. Especially men.

It's funny, but it can really hurt when you realise that someone you get on with really well is homophobic. Ok, so more often than not it ends up being laughed off but at the same time, ignorance is only bliss for the ignorant.

Sarah, this year's LGBT auditor, seems lovely, although I've never really talked to her. I have, however, managed to piss her off something rotten while drunk, so I'm keeping my distance a little.

I look forward to seeing what happens with the LGBT this year, after last year's theatrics. They were fun though.

Oh, and "gay" week is actually called Rainbow Week. Look out for a table covered in "Gay for a day" stickers and copies of GCN etc. I'm sure there'll be plenty of events too, and there are usually intervarsity night events all week long. It won't be until early 2006 as far as I know.

Not sure if he's running yet (because he's not sure if he's running yet) but if he does, Dave for Rights Officer. (Or anyone but Ryan, really)

Advertisement