Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing from the U.S

• 05-09-2005 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hi,

Has any one experience importing from the U.S, If so, could they post info such as 1. What company used to ship car, 2. The cost of shipment, 3. What to look out for, 4. How long shipment takes, etc.
    I am off to New York next month with work and may bring back a Vintage.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Lyre61

Hi, I brought in a Sm from Chicago, the ship cost was about US$2500, ship time was about 4 weeks, the catch is getting the car out of the states. That took another four weeks! Vanguard logistixs handled most of the US side of things, shipping company was Conterm, Irish end was Online Logistix. You need to have validated title and you have to get export docs from US cutoms (brief mail below on their contact with customs) before they will allow the car to leave the US. Below is a list the shipping company wanted before they would put the car in the container. The catch this end was getting it out of the container, with the SM and its suspension I had to be able to drive it out over the lip of the container so I needed a dock that was level with the container still on the truck.

When the car arrives in Ireland you have to pay duty on the car, and vat on the duty and the price you paid for the car @21%
    There are port charges of about 300 euro as well.
    Then you have the VRT.......and the choice of number plate.

Subject: Re: Citroen Sm Conterm# CHI/DBL/C05895 OOCL# 15027500

Rena,
    I will need these docs from them to complete my b/l.

1. copy of the commercial invoice

2. copy of the straight bill of lading w/ the container, seal number, pieces and weight

3. Shipper's TAX ID / EIN Number to file the AES, Tariff Code / Schedule B number and the Written Authorization Letter filled out (all docs attached are what we need filled out and faxed back to us before we can file the SED)

Thanks,
    Sandy Brahar
    Ocean Export \ Vanguard Logistics
    (CHI, CIN, & STL)
    Ph #: 847-238-5018
    Fx #: 847-238-5118

757)533-4291. I will follow up today to make sure they recvd it and ask when
    we can expect the validated title. This is a routed shipment, $65 DDF is
    noted on CPO, however, since we are completing the title validation process
    and going to have to file SED/AES. Please advise what other documentation I
    must gather and how much we should charg for completing this process? We
    received a copy of the invoice directly from the Cnee, please confirm you
    &/or Romy have this document as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Thanks for info Lyre61,

The car I want to buy will be over 30years, will duty on the car, vat on the duty and the price I paid for the car @21% need to be paid, or those 30yr old cars only get excempt from VRT.

Once you import the car from outside the EU you have to pay duty and VAT on it. The duty is around 6.5% and is based on the invoice/ Bill of sale that you have from the transaction. Then they hit you for VAT on the amount you paid for the car plus the duty. The VAT is at 21%.
    If you buy the same car in the EU you just have to pay VRT @ €50.

The advantage of the 30 year old car is that they do not apply VRT on the value of the car but as a flat rate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hi Syl,

Lyre has answered most your questions but check out these threads to get some extra info.
    I imported from Canada this year and though the process is tedious I found it well worth it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=258267

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=250402

What are you thinking of bringing in?
    Private seller or dealer?

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Cheers Lyre61 & The Atheist,
    Thinking of bringing back a mustang 66/67.
    It does seem like a long/tedious process but i will be over there with work for about 2 months so have loads of time to arrange it.

Syl77

• Advertisement

No Problem, Check with the customs though, if you own a car in a foreign country for a period of time while you are living there you can bring back that car without paying duty and VAT. I think the period is six months, but it would be worthwhile checking.

Advertisement