Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations!

Options
  • 05-09-2005 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

Ahoi there, been some time since I've bought an up to date game, as my pc is so out of date its not funny, anywho finally scrapped a few shillings together and am getting a new rig, so!

Whats you crazy kids playing these days :)

I'm gonna start with:
    HL2
    Doom3
    UT2004
    BF2

Any good new strategy games around, or anyone have any other recommendations, preferance would be, FPS and RTS.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

rome total war,infact all the total war games.
    i like dawn of war and warcraftIII too.

edit,play all the morrowinds!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

SWAT 4.
    If you liked any of the Rogue Spear / Rainbow 6 series, I highly recommend this.
    Brilliant game.
    At the mo, I'm on BF2 as I've just got broadband - I wouldnt see the lastability if you didnt to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I haven't played UT2004 so i don't have an opinion of it. But for the other games you mentioned:

HL2 - A masterpiece. Simple as that.

BF2 - A flawed masterpiece. Moments of gameplay brilliance ruined by bugs and/or idiots

Doom 3 - Just plain old flawed.

As for strategy. It's Rome Total War all the way dude, there is nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

azezil wrote:
    :
    HL2
    Doom3
    UT2004
    BF2

HL2 11 hours of awesomness (btw im selling it in FS discs atm ;) )
    Doom 3 20 hours os scary ****, great game even better now with Coop mod.
    Ut2004 excellent in normal mode but some of the mods are awesome (also selling that in FS discs ;) )
    BF2 superb just stick with servers and players you know.
    Swat 4 recently addicted to Coop mode, damn hard need more bullet sponges.
    Aoe 3 out soon and Rome isnt bad.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

UT2004 + Alien Swarm Mod = Godly.

Defintely play Morrowind and get Rome: Total War.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

play all the morrowinds!

Im STILL playing eldar scrolls III with both expansions, so much to do, trying to kill vivec at the moment, but I need a better shield spell.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Far Cry for FPS tbh, I thought it was better than HL2 and way better than Doom 3. A lot more freedom and choice of playing styles than the other two. And with the 1.3 patch and HDR enabled it looks amazing, a great way to show off your new machine.

I'd second SWAT 4 aswell, altough I've only played it single player, I'm hoping to get broadband soon for some coop.

stevenmu wrote:
    Far Cry for FPS

Yeah but stop playing when you get about a third of the way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Everything that Kdjac mentioned + DOD source which is being release later this month, you will get it for free if you buy Half-Life 2 silver or gold packages. Also Grand Theft Auto : San Anreas for the PC is amazing so much better that the ps2 version, and maybe call of duty if your looking for a World War 2 type shooter although COD2 is coming out in the near future still worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

UT2004 is pretty dull imo. Its mostly a frag em up a la quake 3, apart fromt he onslaught levels where youve got vehicles and stuff...but its jsut totally outclassed by BF2 and even BFV is a damn sight better.
    A good, slightly diferrent FPS id recommend would be brothers in arms. If you like your FPS to be more than just straight shooting blam-em-up's comes highly recommended.
    Other than that cant go wrong with Doom3 and HL2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I looked the screenshots and skimmed the review of Far Cry, it didn't look all that impressive.

As for UT2004, sometimes all I want is some mindless multi-player violence :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Far cry is good until you get a third of the way through when it turns into Doom 3 with loads of new soulless bad guys to kill. It's a bit like when RTCW got crap halfway through when it became silly with the introduction of the uber solders or when Halo becomes crap halfway through.

Doom 3 is great for showing off your machine but isn't the best game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

i love ut2k4 :) but have always liked ut99 ut2k3
    farcry is good but only when your fighting the mercs
    HL2 is brillant and couple wit CS:S is a def must for a new gaming computer
    doom3 is crap but great to test out how your computer runs
    BF2 is good but i dont have broadband so cant experience it properly (at home) however there are mods out there to unlock the weapons and to increase the bot size to 32, 64 and even 128 which is just crazy and its only a matter of time before the full size maps will get unlocked for single player

some new games on the way:
    FEAR
    black and white 2
    fehrenheit
    the movies
    addon for rome total war
    age of empire 3
    elder scrolls 4
    quake 4
    call of duty 2

all very good looking games that will go very nicely wit a good gaming rig

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

UT2K4 is pretty good to just blast the crap out of everything... F.E.A.R. most certainly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

wooo AoE 3! niiiice, loved all of its predisessors, and FEAR looks really cool too!

sin episodes look like it might be good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

with all these lovely games mentioned would an AMD Athalon 64 3500+ be a powerful enough processor to play them?

all depends on your gfx card mossy, but a 3500 is a good start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Sapphire Radeon X800XL 256MB GDDR3

that do?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

tba wrote:
    Im STILL playing eldar scrolls III with both expansions, so much to do, trying to kill vivec at the moment, but I need a better shield spell.
    heh,i can't believe how good that game is.Bring on the new one!

• Advertisement

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Sapphire Radeon X800XL 256MB GDDR3

that do?
    That'll do nicely sir :D
    Ive an x800 pro 256 and an amd 64 3000, and i can paly every game mentioned in this thread so far

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

F.E.A.R. should be out soon and it is shaping up to be something rather special.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

S.T.A.L.K.E.R and supreme commander look good aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

game are becomming less and less cpu depend so an athlon64 3000+ is perfect just coupled wit a nice gfx card is all the matters such as an X800XL/6800GT, perhaps even a X850XT PE or 7800gt/gtx if u got alot of money to spare :D and a nice gig or 2 of ram :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    game are becomming less and less cpu depend so an athlon64 3000+ is perfect just coupled wit a nice gfx card is all the matters such as an X800XL/6800GT, perhaps even a X850XT PE or 7800gt/gtx if u got alot of money to spare :D and a nice gig or 2 of ram :)
    Wrong. With increasingly powerful GPU's, performance becomes limited by CPU and/or RAM. Witness every 7800GTX performing the same, even on CustomPC's OC'd FX-57; there should be differences between different vendors, but no game/CPU can find them yet :rolleyes:

Advertisement