Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

javascript anybody?

• 28-07-1999 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Lo all!

I need a bit of help here. I have a new project in work, an intranet site, that has to be updated on a daily basis. Now, one way would be to log on every day and add the new link to a page after uploading the report for that day (could be multiple reports each day though, at different times so the manual method would be awkward). Another way I was thinking of was

Writing a javascript that

1. Detects any additions to the site folder (say Report)

2. Automatically updates the page, say report.html with a link to the new report

3. keeps all the other reports in an archive (another page, preferably one for each type of report, ie: broker.html ; latebr.html, data.html , update.html etc...)

4. creates the link to the relevant historical report on the page for the relevant type.

hmmmm

sort of:

Daily rep. (all reports for that day)
    |
    |- historical broker reports
    |- historical timeliness reports
    |- etc.

maybe an applet that would allow a menu browsing and/or search system?

So, any ideas what would be the best way to go about this (keeping in mind that I can do HTML and a tiny bit of VB and a small bit of Javascript)

I'm not sure but CGI could be available to me as well (but that means a crash course in the basics)

In short, I want an archival system and a presentation system that will work even when I'm not here to update it. (the reports will be produced by macros and written in html format)

J.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Karla

I'm no Javascript expert but by the looks of things you'll have to take that crash course in CGI, but thankfully it's very easy if you use Perl with the CGI.pm module.

It's fairly easy to write a CGI that detects the latest updates to a site, the best place to start is probably Randal Schwartz' homepage (he's kind of a Perl demi-god smile.gif):

http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/

You might also want to check out Perl.com and the CGI docs

I really don't think this can be done in Javascript alone.

Karla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Thank you!

smile.gif

Advertisement