Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government donates 1 million to Hurricane Disaster

Options
  • 05-09-2005 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

The Irish Government sending 1 million of our money to the richest country in the world, I think is a bit out of order. Why not give the money instead to the Simon Community, Rape Crisis Centre, even the Abbey Theatre. Lets take care of our own first.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Couldn't agree more.

Considering how much the U.S. spends on warfare and yet it can't or won't provide healthcare to it's poorest citizens it's an ironic situation which they now find themselves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

1 million is hardly going to dent our resources. What is that 25c per person?

It's a token gesture that I'm sure will be appreciated by a country that has done a lot for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

F*ck them, why should we give them money :mad: . It doesn't matter if its a token gesture. That wouldn't make a dent in the $25bn they will need to rebuild New Orleans.

ballooba wrote:
    1 million is hardly going to dent our resources. What is that 25c per person?

It's a token gesture that I'm sure will be appreciated by a country that has done a lot for us.

Well it would pay for a few hospital beds for a start wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brendan552004

I suppose Bertie think's he can afford it. He is making an additional 1 million a week on the additional VAT he is now creaming off us because of the rise in petrol prices. I suppose he would just like to thank George for the increase in our VAT revenue.

What about the US Federal Hurricane Fund, 14 Billion. George has dipped his little fingers into the fund to finance his father and his own personal vendetta in the Middle East. Weapons of mass destruction, the only weapon of mass destruction is George himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

ffs,
    Its a one million donation-token gesture but in all fairness the US spend a hell of a lot of money on foreign aid every year- Whether or not they can afford to sort the issue out themselves is not the issue.
    If the same thing happened in ireland-ie the whole country destroyed(the area effected is the size of the UK) we'd be grateful for any extra help-no matter how strong the celtic tiger.
    No need to let this get into a debate about how the US spend their money-its a charitable donation and hopefully just the knowledge that people all around the world care will help these people in their time of need.
    Remember there are real people involved in all of this-sometime this is forgotten amoung all the blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

I suppose Bertie think's he can afford it. He is making an additional 1 million a week on the additional VAT he is now creaming off us because of the rise in petrol prices. I suppose he would just like to thank George for the increase in our VAT revenue.

What about the US Federal Hurricane Fund, 14 Billion. George has dipped his little fingers into the fund to finance his father and his own personal vendetta in the Middle East. Weapons of mass destruction, the only weapon of mass destruction is George himself.

well said my Friend

There are real homeless people on the streets of our cities every night, we should let them know how we feel. Charity begins at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Ireland has donated 1/3 of total donations to date to the ARC.

http://www.redcross.org/pressrelease/0,1077,0_314_4509,00.html

I can't find the link but $100 goes a hell of a long way then normal for ARC. They get to buy everything at a fraction of the cost.

Hobbes, decimal point in the wrong place.

Funds Received to Date – The Red Cross estimates that, as of Sept. 4, 2005, it has received $352 million in gifts and pledges for the hurricane relief effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Despatch wrote:
    Couldn't agree more.

Considering how much the U.S. spends on warfare and yet it can't or won't provide healthcare to it's poorest citizens it's an ironic situation which they now find themselves in.
    Thats a nice ( :rolleyes: ) attitude to have. Just because you dont like the government you are happy to leave the people stuck without reasonable food and water.

This money is not going to fund the war. Its going to help some of the thousands without a house, food or water. Get over your predjudices and realise that its humans that money will help.

There are real homeless people on the streets of our cities every night, we should let them know how we feel. Charity begins at home.
    Was this the same line you used during the tsunami and other disasters?
    Yeah,
    I think we all know that and I for one agree with you-I do my bit for the needy in Ireland-just as I like to see our government doing its bit on our behalf for the needy in the world.
    We can get into arguments about how to spend money better in times of need however we'd all need to ask our selves how many non neccessary items have we bought over the last few years when others go without.......

Which is not the topic raised here.

Arabel wrote:
    Thats a nice ( :rolleyes: ) attitude to have. Just because you dont like the government you are happy to leave the people stuck without reasonable food and water.

This money is not going to fund the war. Its going to help some of the thousands without a house, food or water. Get over your predjudices and realise that its humans that money will help.

My point is that they always seem to find the money for their military while failing to take proper care of their civilians. Why should it be left to us to take care of their poor when they are too occupied with fighting phoney wars abroad? If it takes a tradgedy like this to wake the American public up to what their government should be doing for them then perhaps some good will come of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Despatch wrote:
    Why should it be left to us to take care of their poor when they are too occupied with fighting phoney wars abroad?
    Why? Because thousands of people have had their house and all their possesions destroyed. You are punishing the poor for the acts of thier government.

From reading some of these posts it just seems that some people think "f*ck 'em. Their government cant help them enough why should we?"

Is that your attitude?

Some good may come of this tragedy as you pointed out.
    BUT RIGHT NOW-people are dying and homeless on a massive scale.
    We cannot not help them because we do not like their government as mentioned above by another poster.

Tsunami was different, Africa too. They are not wealthy Governments, we were right to help and I hope we will continue to do so. US is different. How did such a terrible hurricane occur. Was it Global warming, who would not sign the Kyoto agreement, who was at a republican fund raising dinner the day after the hurricane?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Hobbes, decimal point in the wrong place.

ooops :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Tsunami was different, Africa too. They are not wealthy Governments, we were right to help and I hope we will continue to do so. US is different. How did such a terrible hurricane occur. Was it Global warming, who would not sign the Kyoto agreement, who was at a republican fund raising dinner the day after the hurricane?
    Global warming has been happening for years, well before Kyoto, and besides it hasn't been proved that global warming is causing more hurricane storms.

You're just grasping for reasons to dislike the US government and not help the "people" of New Orleans. They're 2 different issues altogether.

Arabel wrote:
    Why? Because thousands of people have had their house and all their possesions destroyed. You are punishing the poor for the acts of thier government.

From reading some of these posts it just seems that some people think "f*ck 'em. Their government cant help them enough why should we?"

Is that your attitude?

I'm not punishing the poor - their government are doing a fine job of that already.

I'm not saying 'f*uck em' - just that a dose of the realities that millions, possibly billions of people around the world have to face every day will do them no harm in the long run. I would hope that America may have a more humanitarian approach worldwide as a result of this instead of just looking out for No. 1 all the time.

It is also worth noting that both Cuba and Venezuela have offered aid but have so far had their offers declined for political reasons. I think this is a great shame as it really could have been an oppertunity for the U.S. to engage with these nations and perhaps develop better relationships with them.

Politics.......
    People are dying ffs......
    Shouldnt we worry about helping them
    Put yourself in their situation for a minute and forget about their colour or nationality......or their government.......
    Bottom line-as a tax paying Irish Citizen I have no issues with this donation and would hope that the government offer more if needs be-I sure hope that other countries would look kindly on us should a similiar situation occur here-seing as we are "Rich" these days.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote:
    Politics.......
    People are dying ffs......
    Shouldnt we worry about helping them
    Put yourself in their situation for a minute and forget about their colour or nationality......or their government.......
    Bottom line-as a tax paying Irish Citizen I have no issues with this donation and would hope that the government offer more if needs be-I sure hope that other countries would look kindly on us should a similiar situation occur here-seing as we are "Rich" these days.

We might be 'rich' per capita we we are not a super-rich nation such as the U.S. is in term of the resourses and reserves available to us.

Their own foolish pride has so far seen them stall on asking for help so as not to appear weak to the world and their own population. It has gone as far as picking and choosing who they want to accept help from. Clearly they feel it would be beneath themselves to accept an offer of aid from Cuba or Venezuela.

I too would have no problem with the Irish governments donation were it not for the fact that other countries offers of aid have been thrown back in their faces.

ffs,
    Despatch-what the f**k are you thinking??
    Your obviously blinded by politics.

kippy wrote:
    ffs,
    Despatch-what the f**k are you thinking??
    Your obviously blinded by politics.

I'm not blinded - I just understand how these things work through careful observation. You appear to be utterly blind to the role that politics has had to play at all levels of this crisis, from the diversion of money away from improving the levees to the wrangling that we then saw between the local and federal governments over who was to blame for the lacklustre relief effort. Unfortunately at times like this, politicians can be a very effective hinderance to getting done what is really needed on the ground. I's like to ask you Kippy, what is your opinion of the U.S. governments position of turning down aid from the two countries I mentioned earlier?

I am blinded by little and I do see your points about the diversion on funds for levee defences and the seemingly endless blame game that is going on right now. I never once refuted any of these points.......
    I also have issue with the US rejecting funding from these two nations simply on political basis however-
    Do you think that no one should offer help and the US should be made deal with this on their own?
    Again-put yourself in the position of a normal person in New Orleans at the moment-no home-not likely to have a home for a very long time and a very unsure future. Wouldn't you like to think you had the support of other countries in your time of need even if the funding was miniscule....
    I do not for one second believe that the US need any funding in this matter however right now we need to show solidarity with the US PEOPLE.
    See past the politics-that is what I am asking you to do.
    It is only one million of our money.

kippy wrote:
    I am blinded by little and I do see your points about the diversion on funds for levee defences and the seemingly endless blame game that is going on right now. I never once refuted any of these points.......
    I also have issue with the US rejecting funding from these two nations simply on political basis however-
    Do you think that no one should offer help and the US should be made deal with this on their own?
    Again-put yourself in the position of a normal person in New Orleans at the moment-no home-not likely to have a home for a very long time and a very unsure future. Wouldn't you like to think you had the support of other countries in your time of need even if the funding was miniscule....
    I do not for one second believe that the US need any funding in this matter however right now we need to show solidarity with the US PEOPLE.
    See past the politics-that is what I am asking you to do.
    It is only one million of our money.

ok, it's good to see we agree on some points at least. I have to say that your above post is laden with contradictions though. For example, if you don't think the U.S. needs any money then why sent it? Just to appear good? Should we just offer it, safe in the knowledge that it will be turned down with a polite thank you in the hopes that increases our standing with the U.S.? I don't think that no-one should offer help - I think that no offer of help should be refused. If we are happy to donate money while other funds and resourses are being refused on the basis of political bias then aren't we endorsing the U.S. policy of refusing aid? Aid that as you quite rightly point out, is intended to help ordinary people in horrible circumstances. We should offer aid provided the U.S. is willing to accept help from all those that wish to help. They may call Cuba and Venezuela's bluff by doing just that! I can't help but feel that it is as hypocritical of us as a nation to provide this aid to the U.S. when they are refusing the same from others. If we disapprove of that policy then a healthy open debate about the subject may have the affect of seeing more help reaching those who need it. It's not me who's being blinded by politics, the Americans can't see the wood for the trees.

I cant be bothered wasting any more of my time arguing a point that we have no influence on with some one who makes sweeping generalisations based on nationality.
    We gave the money-whether you like it or not.
    I hope you are never in the position that REAL PEOPLE WITH REAL ISSUES are currently in in the US.
    By the way-the slant of your argument has changed since your first point-all in trying to blame governments, politics etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done" - Charles Dickens
    Pretty much sums it up for me.

kippy wrote:
    I cant be bothered wasting any more of my time arguing a point that we have no influence on.

TRANSLATION = You can't be bothered continuing to debate this subject because you either can't think of anything else to say or you know that you're on the losing end of an argument.

kippy wrote:
    By the way-the slant of your argument has changed since your first point-all in trying to blame governments, politics etc etc

No it hasn't, I'm just responding to your comments.

• Advertisement

Where is the argument?
    The money is already gone and theres nothing you can do about it(thankfully)
    I have better things to do with my time than "argue" with a politically obsessed anti US government and inhumane person.
    Regards,
    Kippy

Advertisement